What is happening to this?

Kevster

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Any idea why this chinese elm is getting yellow leaves? I know I don't over fertilize because I might only fertilize organic once a week. But I did sprinkle very little slow release fertilizer on top of the soil about 3 weeks ago. These yellow leaves seemed to appear over night and looks worst almost every morning. About a week ago it was 100% nice green growth.

And yes I am letting it grow wild. I have an air layer started on it and it has been there since the beginning of spring.

Though there are yellowing leaves there is still new green growth coming out.

thanks for your help,
Kevin
IMG_3266.jpgIMG_3267.jpg

Kevster

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Oh I took the pictures this morning after a really hard thunder storm last night so a lot of the yellow leaves where knocked/blown off and thats why the trunk is wet. I normally only water it every other day, or when the soil is almost dry.

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
One of my elms did this this year. I could not figure out weather it was fungal or insect damage. I sprayed it one a week for a few weeks with bayer advanced. It's a three in 1 I use on everything. It's insect, disease and mite control all I one. I get it the concentrate from home depot and mix it in A sprayer. It seemed to have cleared up the problem.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
1. Summer heat (in case you hadn't noticed it suddenly got HOT around here.)
2. Leaves don't live forever.
3. They just DO that.

Kevster

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Thanks you two.

JKL I was thinking it was heat related. I guess it's because it went from mild to HOT over night? Should I move it to a partly shady spot for a little while then slowly bring it back into full sun? Where it is now it gets 100% sun from 10:00 am till sun down.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Thanks you two.

JKL I was thinking it was heat related. I guess it's because it went from mild to HOT over night? Should I move it to a partly shady spot for a little while then slowly bring it back into full sun? Where it is now it gets 100% sun from 10:00 am till sun down.

If you want you can move it into shade. The tree is in no danger. These things are part of the natural course of events.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Don't worry, be happy! Thats normal on elms, at least all that I have ever had. My Catlin Elms do it all the time, usually just before a flush of new growth. They do it in the spring at times and during the summers at odd times, never a whole lot but they show up in different spost. The leaves do not curl or turn brown they just go yellow almost like they are turning in the fall. I think the tree just sheds a few leaves for new growth, whatever it is it never seems to slow the tree down in any way. Elms love the full sun so give it some love dude.

ed

Top Bottom