What is the possibility of having a Classified Section?

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Being newer, I gotta say a lot of the hesitation for me on the sale section is very little is posted and even less priced, with this almost unspoken aura of "if you have to ask price, you can't afford it" kind of thing. Personally, I'd love a place to shop for trees or pots that isn't eBay or Facebook and from actual people that I know care about bonsai and the products they are selling.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I never used it because I saw such little activity and as a result thought it was taboo in a way to post items, for whatever reason. Some sort of terms/agreement with guidelines might add clarity and encourage people to use it more?
That is because it has become an accepted practice to just list them under another heading. I just listed 3 pots using the selling post and they are now listed with all others under general posts when I view them. Other sites I have used have a classified and you only see what is being offered for sale or trade, or even as wanted, when you go to the classified.
Maybe it doesn't matter to most folks and if that is so, then let it be. But on the sites that specify a classified, it adds a level of class, and this site is a very classy site. From the point of view of a shopper vs a non shopper, it seems appropriate to address them separately. Thus you are going to see these items offered up for sale whether you want to or not.
As an example, look at a site called Archery Talk.

Perhaps if for the menu page, the sales section was near the top, rather than Near the bottom? We already have 45 "sub-forum" categories. The "Sales" section starts at the 39th heading down the list. Maybe if the "Sales" Section was up top of the page, there would be more activity?

I never felt a taboo to post an item, in fact I plan to use the current sales area as it is. But I have noticed an odd reluctance some people have to putting prices on items they are selling. I think some of this is that they are hobbyists that don't know where to price their items, and are fishing for reaction before being more clear about how much they want. Although, there is the tendency to turn bonsai from a hobby to a "Cult". The same people who invest reverence for certain bonsai artists are the same ones who are deliberately mysterious about what price an item should be priced at.

I am happy with BNut the way it is. But if Greg @Bonsai Nut feels the request for a "Classifieds" section is not too great an additional ask, I will certainly, gladly peruse them and use them. I guess I don't really understand how different a Classified section would look or work.

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I think it's a good idea, organizing it better in the way @penumbra suggests, with prices posted. If there are no prices posted, I click away from it, always. I don't want to be sending a bunch of pm's, only to find it's out of my price range. Just let us know up front like they do on FB. It shouldn't be a big secret.

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Being newer, I gotta say a lot of the hesitation for me on the sale section is very little is posted and even less priced, with this almost unspoken aura of "if you have to ask price, you can't afford it" kind of thing. Personally, I'd love a place to shop for trees or pots that isn't eBay or Facebook and from actual people that I know care about bonsai and the products they are selling.
I think it's a good idea at least because I feel slightly bad when the global home page gets spammed every time someone asks a question on my moving sale that is relevant to only people in this area.

But I didn't see a better place for it.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Okay..I didn’t even know there was a sales section. I have not needed it though...so I admit that I never explored. And, I’m trying to curb my buying impulse anyway. Another place to buy something is not what I need.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Okay..I didn’t even know there was a sales section. I have not needed it though...so I admit that I never explored. And, I’m trying to curb my buying impulse anyway. Another place to buy something is not what I need.
You can also sell, trade or barter.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
But BNut already has a sales subforum? " Trees for sale" and a separate for other stuff. Also "Wanted to Buy". Do we really need more? Few seem to use the Sales section.
Is that so? Wow good to know. Thanks Leo.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I’m all for this... but I also peruse the “aisles” in the sales section here, often. So to ME, there doesn’t need to be any more corridors.... but would still use them if they WERE constructed.

I‘d like to be able to offer some of the plants that I’ve been selling locally to the fine folk of this forum, because I love you guys. I am just nearly clueless when It comes to shipping plants.

Now meet’n real quick fer a minute at da Scott Shell station right dere by fiddy-four/fiddy seven turn off? ....that’s more what I HAVE been doing.

🤓

mwar15

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I don’t think we need a new “classified” section. The one we have isn’t very popular and It’s not very active.

I have posted many things. I think 20% gets any interest. I understand many people don’t like or want to do FB. I get it so that is why I post here first and will continue to.

I love the thought of eventually have an auction. I think it would be fun and a good way to swap trees, pots, etc.. I think also auctions are a better way to sell. Different people value things differently.

it might be a function of the site but I just hit the new post button each time I visit. I would happily pay some of my sale to the site. Maybe there is a “classified” button or something to highlight it to draw more people in??

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't think many people here are clear on how a classified listing works. It is not a part of general forum listings. It has its own identity and that's why it works and why what we have does not work well.
I am generally not interested in auctioning my pots and when I have done so, eBay is the logical place for this. I sold a few dozen on eBay last year in short order and had some fabulous repeat buyers.

mwar15

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I don't think many people here are clear on how a classified listing works. It is not a part of general forum listings. It has its own identity and that's why it works and why what we have does not work well.
I am generally not interested in auctioning my pots and when I have done so, eBay is the logical place for this. I sold a few dozen on eBay last year in short order and had some fabulous repeat buyers.
I think our section would work fine if there were 10 posts a day in it?

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think our section would work fine if there were 10 posts a day in it?
You are probably right but I have never seen that happen. If it did I likely wouldn't have bothered with this post.
Still, if you are clear on the concept of a classified, have seen it and used it, you will quickly learn its value.
Many of the replies to this post seem to indicate there are many who don't understand this.
Its not a problem either way, but having a separate and distinct identity is a clear advantage. Many times I go on a site just to view the classified and not to read the current posts. Other times I am only interested in the posts and have no interest in reading an add for a product that is presented as a post.

mwar15

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
You are probably right but I have never seen that happen. If it did I likely wouldn't have bothered with this post.
Still, if you are clear on the concept of a classified, have seen it and used it, you will quickly learn its value.
Many of the replies to this post seem to indicate there are many who don't understand this.
Its not a problem either way, but having a separate and distinct identity is a clear advantage. Many times I go on a site just to view the classified and not to read the current posts. Other times I am only interested in the posts and have no interest in reading an add for a product that is presented as a post.
I think how it is now is great if a lot of classified posts were happening daily. But that’s not the case. I don’t know we’ll enough if changing the format would help and how easy that would be... I have been on other sites that have done it differently and I think it all has its pros and cons.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Perhaps if for the menu page, the sales section was near the top, rather than Near the bottom? We already have 45 "sub-forum" categories. The "Sales" section starts at the 39th heading down the list. Maybe if the "Sales" Section was up top of the page, there would be more activity?

This, speaking from communications/publicity/marketing stand point, this is a big part of it. I seem to recall seeing a sales subforum once, but because I don't go actively looking for things to buy often, I never REALLY see it. Move it above the fold, as they say, and it would get much more attention, and thus traffic.

Also, fairly strict but simple rules would be more encouragement to use it effectively, and thus at all. Things like "price must be listed in description," and, "pics of merchandise required."
Categorizing by most common items would help- "pots here, trees there" type of thing- but what's most common can change quickly, so might be laborious.

mwar15

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
This, speaking from communications/publicity/marketing stand point, this is a big part of it. I seem to recall seeing a sales subforum once, but because I don't go actively looking for things to buy often, I never REALLY see it. Move it above the fold, as they say, and it would get much more attention, and thus traffic.

Also, fairly strict but simple rules would be more encouragement to use it effectively, and thus at all. Things like "price must be listed in description," and, "pics of merchandise required."
Categorizing by most common items would help- "pots here, trees there" type of thing- but what's most common can change quickly, so might be laborious.
I agree, higher visibility would equal more interest

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think how it is now is great if a lot of classified posts were happening daily. But that’s not the case. I don’t know we’ll enough if changing the format would help and how easy that would be... I have been on other sites that have done it differently and I think it all has its pros and cons.
Lets say there was a lot more interest in our selling section resulting in was 30, 40, or 50 posts a day that showed up when you opened the site to give or receive advice on bonsai care. Would you really be OK with that? I think most people would not. But since it has never happened there is little concern about the status quo. This is not the first time I have suggested this and I probably won't bring it up again, but I consider this a preemptive move in a direction that would greatly enhance the site and its ability to serve all sellers and buyers more efficiently. I do not want to see a list of things offered for sale, trade or wanted every time I want to see new listings in the body of the main forum and its sub forums. We don't see that much now because I think many potential sellers don't want to flood the main forum page and that many potential buyers would be resentful if they did. I have already seen playful jabs at this and it is likely to increase. In the past this has influenced my decision to tread lightly here when listing and most of my pots I end up selling elsewhere. This is unlikely to change unless the selling format changes. And I do understand that most people do not like change, yet it is the only constant for a reason.
I see a marketplace that is being strangled and I would love to see it flourish for all the people here.

Top Bottom