"What is the true value of a tree?"

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Folks have that compulsion in my area as well. They buy a piece of property and before moving in remove anything green and replace it with concrete.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Folks have that compulsion in my area as well. They buy a piece of property and before moving in remove anything green and replace it with concrete.
Yeah but you're in New York. People from the city think concrete IS natural now days. 😋

hampton

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I live on the largest lake in North Carolina with somewhere around 500 miles of shoreline. Surprisingly, it is a private lake - owned by Duke Power for the purpose of electricity generation (one reason why our electricity here costs 1/5 what it did in California). Duke owns the entire shoreline, and there is a 127 page document that details what you can or cannot do to the shore - even extending inland 50' (or more) depending where you are on the lake. Many allowable uses will still require permitting. Ignore the regulations at your peril - if you decide you are going to cut down mature trees on the shore without authorization (assuming you can find someone willing to do the work) you may end up having to replant, as well as losing shoreline permit rights for your dock for up to five years.
Ah Lake Norman, my father was an SRO at McGuire for 35 years. Wasn’t aware of the Duke ownership/easement but it makes sense.

We recently had a similar tree issue with the neighbors. There’s a large shade tree that straddles the property line. I came home one day to arborists working on the canopy and had a small freak out. The neighbor had asked for the tree to be removed, prior to selling, without consulting us. After a short, not so nice conversation the tree still stands and the neighbors are gone. It would have been a shame, there are photos of the house in 1900 with the tree present.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Ah Lake Norman, my father was an SRO at McGuire for 35 years. Wasn’t aware of the Duke ownership/easement but it makes sense.

We recently had a similar tree issue with the neighbors. There’s a large shade tree that straddles the property line. I came home one day to arborists working on the canopy and had a small freak out. The neighbor had asked for the tree to be removed, prior to selling, without consulting us. After a short, not so nice conversation the tree still stands and the neighbors are gone. It would have been a shame, there are photos of the house in 1900 with the tree present.
This is the issue to me. I don't have a right to tell you what to do with your property, but it's just good polite sense to run it by your neighbors.

And I think some people are just so detached from nature they don't realize that trees are supposed to move with the wind, or half the other common sense things you'd expect.
Around here they like to push xeriscaping to reduce water consumption. I've seen people take out mature native trees that aren't taking up any water so they can put in rocks and weeds to save the environment. 🤦

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I live in a area of Ontario just north of New York State . Land is fairly flat for about 75 miles around . Stretching into the states . The Nation river winds they the area emptying into the Ottawa river . To the north and a few smaller rivers empty St Lawrence. River . When the Europeans arrived . It was a large hardwood and pine forest . The tree roots slowed the migration of water . From snow and rain to the rivers . Know the trees are mostly gone . Area heavily farmed . Corn and soybean most common crops . The Ontario government just finished a several million dollar study . To understand why with shallow rooted farm crops . The area rivers flood in the spring . And then there is drought in the heat of the summer . But we are the highest level of intelligence on the planet

Top Bottom