What is your current bonsai activity plan?

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I need to remember to sort my plants by water need.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A

Kullas

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
We will use the track hoe and scoop them up most likely.
Where's the fun in that? The fun is in the sore back,aching legs and arms and ready to pass out from exhaustion :)
Na just messing if I had access to a track hoe I would use it to. Make for easy picking.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Where's the fun in that? The fun is in the sore back,aching legs and arms and ready to pass out from exhaustion :)
Na just messing if I had access to a track hoe I would use it to. Make for easy picking.
This old man has a sore back. I will dig only when I absolutely have to. That's why collecting the BC in swampy water is tough!

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
It's hump day so naturally I am planning the weekend. This weekend will be light but critical on bonsai activity. I'm going to do branch and apex selection on a couple maples and a few BCs. I also need to take a hard look at my two BC forest and decide whether to chop some of the smaller trees.

It looks like I will have time to take care of the yard, house, and car maintenance once the bonsai priority items are sorted out.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
It's hump day so naturally I am planning the weekend. This weekend will be light but critical on bonsai activity. I'm going to do branch and apex selection on a couple maples and a few BCs. I also need to take a hard look at my two BC forest and decide whether to chop some of the smaller trees.

It looks like I will have time to take care of the yard, house, and car maintenance once the bonsai priority items are sorted out.
I replanted both my BC forests. Potted/repotted a bunch of trees. Planted a fig in the ground. Super busy day so far.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Preparing for my Spring Open House event and sale. Setting up additional tables, display space. Sorting the material ready for sale and packing Copper Wire in starter sets and full sets. Cleaning up the parking area and general display area. I usually hold them in conjunction with my wife's Open House Event. She is an amazing artist and quilter. The weather is finally improving, hoping for a good weekend with lots of sunshine next weekend. If you are visiting near Parksville on Vancouver Island next weekend, stop by and say Hello.

Deanna & Frank Corrigan Open house may 2022.jpg

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I replanted both my BC forests. Potted/repotted a bunch of trees. Planted a fig in the ground. Super busy day so far.
CR, all that bald cypress activity seems a bit late to me. Did you ever have any trouble replanting and repotting at this time of the year? As always, you can't argue with success.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
CR, all that bald cypress activity seems a bit late to me. Did you ever have any trouble replanting and repotting at this time of the year? As always, you can't argue with success.
This year spring comes late. It’s not really that hot at all. I keep them in part shade giving them just morning sun for a few days. Then they will be out in full sun.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I moved all the trops outside to the shade today. Supposed to be 8o's all week with lows in the 60's.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
My effort of thinning the Mayhaw grove is still going. I probably have a couple more dozen trees to collect! It is slow going but going.

Adamski77

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8/9
Going to put raffia on the pine for next weekend cut and guy wire application, preventive fungicide, maybe find time to clean up the juniper I bought recently... need to take a good look under the hood... looks very promising (photo)

... plus bonsai unrelated... some flower work for my wife and continue fighting with weeds on the lawn...

Attachments

• Procumbens_7.jpg
    Procumbens_7.jpg
    309.4 KB · Views: 17

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Half my trees and plants seem to be in suspended animation: they all got a strong start on growing, but then just stopped in their tracks. Even the onions in my garden seem frozen as sprouts.

According to my new cheapo hygrometer the relative humidity hasn't reach 40% all week, often below 30% and that's in the most humid spot in the yard. I think that might have something to do with it, so I'm working on some gadgetry to try trapping the moisture in a localized space but not the heat until everything gets going again. Hopefully then they all transpire enough to keep each other going.

Right now my working concept involves a wading pool, cypress mulch, and some cheap muslin remnants from the fabric section at Walmart.
Theoretically building a muslin teepee over the plants sitting in a giant humidity tray should help trap humidity without raising the temperature or blocking too much sunlight.
We'll see.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
On the way to work this morning, I stopped by Lowes and picked up 6 pond baskets. They will be for the small Mayhaws I will dig up later this week.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I went nuts this morning.
I upended a Chinese elm I just potted last week and repotted it jus because I found a rock to put under it.

Then I looked at my jujube and decided to push it HARD.
21845001-510B-41BF-80F1-C62BC34F1C55.jpeg
AF60C098-493D-4A3B-8628-31C4449BF506.jpeg

Lucky for my tamarind I decided to just weed it and put some extra soil to encourage some roots I wanted.
95C0FADC-115A-41B4-A580-47AA5B304245.jpeg

Then I chopped and carve a BC and a bunch of other trees.

I am now sitting down to my second cup of coffee.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I am super excited. So far in the past 6 weeks, I have collected 3 dozens of trees (BC, Mayhaws, sweet gums). The only ones that died were a hackberry and possibly one cypress due to tractor damage. The rest are budding hard.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks like you use a really wet, organic soil for your stuff. Hard to keep them hydrated there? I've always used 100% pumice for collected trees. Is that basically the soil you find them in?

Top Bottom