What is your current bonsai activity plan?

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
This is a good addition to my list! Are there any posts that show your concrete pots?
There should be a couple of posts. Just search "concrete pots" and that should give you what you need. Also, search on Youtube "concrete bonsai pots" or "draped concrete pots". That should give you hours of stuff to sift through. LOL.

LeatherTree23

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
1. Practice horticulture first.
2. Don’t fiddle with the Atlas Blue Cedar’s 3 gallon size rootball
3. Torture the shimpaku. It likes it.
4. Don’t fiddle with the ABC
5. Debate ordering a Chinese elm from mcbonsai.com
6. Get my potting bench under control.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
1) figure out how to balance maintaining my collection while raising a kid (new challenge)
2) we finally found our house - moving in April, how to transport and set up temporary protection for trees and
3) initiate planning and construction of the new bonsai workshop/shed/garden!
Congrats on the kid! Children are boundless source of joy.
3 is exciting!

IzzyG

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
1. Repot about a dozen or so(mostly recovered yamadori) into pots
2. Create a plan for a greenhouse
3. Execute plans laid out for each tree
4. Complete the 3-4 intensives scheduled for the year with Todd and Ryan
5. Attend more bonsai events to meet more practitioners

Last edited:

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Like a python that has just eaten a big prey and needing time to digest. I am now working through all my collected Mayhaw, moving them from grow bed to pot, pruning, wiring, and carving. By the time I am through, I think I will have 20 pre-bonsai Mayhaws.
For BCs, I am now just watching them grow, fertilizing and managing the watering. They all have been chopped and are in proper container & substrate. Next year will be a big year for BC shaping. I gave up looking for those cantankerous knees in the submerged BCs. They might or might not come and in their own time. I can't force that. My BC collecting is done with one exception - I need to collect Robin.
My tropicals are humming along. The royal poinciana is growing like it does every year. Once again no flower for it this year. My jujube is due for another chop. It grew 3 ft since the chop in early spring. I think if I leave it alone it will have some fruit but then it will be a tall tree all over again. It is already 4 ft tall. The rainbow eucalyptus are as far from being a bonsai as they have always been. One Tamarindus indica is humming along. The other nearly died last winter and is recovering.
I've learned a lot with my Mayhaw and BC forests. All my forests are now pleasing to my eyes. I am developing apexes for the trees in the forest and working on ramification of the branches. Three are already in mica bonsai pots. All are growing well.
My Nippon daisies are bushing out again. It will be a long time before it become recognizable as a bonsai. Right now they are growing as flower bushes.

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Your Mayhaws are looking nice.

I am mainly watering, fertilizing and watching the trees grow at this point. The vast majority of my trees just need to grow and I may have developed enough patience to let them do that this season. My BC seems to be recovering from its travels to my yard - I just water and feed this guy as often as I can and I'm finally seeing growth. Working on some JM shohins. It's a joy to watch the dawn redwoods grow. Last year's stick is now taller than me and about an inch thick. Looks like a Christmas tree. Only real work I have in store for this growing season is to take my few layers and begin the process of ramifying a Chinese elm.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Reconfiguring some benches to convert my low benches into high benches like the rest to get them out of reach of my pup that likes to chew on sticks/trees.

Also switching out my azalea bench with one that gives them more room.

Keeping up with pruning maples and Chinese elm to keep them in shape.

Darkjellyfish

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Set up benches with concrete blocks and slaps
Set up a Bonsai shed in the garage
Air layer targets: dwarf desmodium, dwarf buddhist pine
1-meter diameter air pot set up for my ficuses
Try out weed tea fertilizer (if anyone has tried it let me know, I read online that it needs 1:10 dilution, but not sure if that's appropriate for potted plants - might go for 1:20 dilution to be safe)

Top Bottom