What to do with this yew

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
So I have dug up and planted this yew I took from work. It was run over a few times this last winter during snow plowing.
It’s been almost a month since I moved it to this box and it seems to be doing ok. I was looking for any advise as to what or how to care for this tree further, and what if anything can be currently done with styling.
Thanks.

Attachments

• FABD4AFF-D472-4236-99D1-520CADF798D1.jpeg
    FABD4AFF-D472-4236-99D1-520CADF798D1.jpeg
    280 KB · Views: 124

garywood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Eck, the only thing for at least a year is plenty of water and fertilizer.
If you update your profile so, we as a world community, know where you are then specifics can be better addressed.

Ali Raza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I think tree needs at least one growing season to get back on track and gain energy. Nice tree though.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Ok thanks. I will be happy to just see it heal up. ?

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Mist the foliage several times each day to keep it hydrated. Also, did you leave it in native soil or replace with a well draining mixture? The one I dug on 4/16, was bare rooted and put in a 50:50 mix of pumice and haydite. I kept it in shade a couple weeks then moved to part sun. It now is in my driveway so gets pretty close to full sun (6 hrs). There have been some really good threads on collecting yew so take a look. The ones by @Dav4 and @fore have a lot of info. Main thing is it will take up to a couple years to recover so don’t touch it until you get vigorus strong growth and back budding on the branches and main stem.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Thanks soo much for the input!
I put in some hydro ton on bottom base with native soil, perlite, turface.
I do have it in mostly shade and mist and check moisture daily.
I’m seeing vigorous growth in areas
With a little browning/dead branches.

With your advice I plan on just keeping it happy- maybe do some work next spring.
?

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Yes, the ends of my branches are a nice bright green with all the new growth from this spring. I also have some browning foliage which I hope is just the old needles/leaves being dropped on schedule. I need to check some of the local yews to see if they are dropping them right now or if this is due to stress after the big dig.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
My landscape yews are all dropping needles right now, middle of June.

I second the suggestion to just leave it alone, for at least one, preferably 2 years. You really need to give it time to establish a new root system. During this time you can read up about yews.

Leave long stubs, for any branch you cut off, they can become carved dead wood features.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Cut back some branches. Some green on them but I feel the tree was about to forget about them anyways. Long and sparse.
5B4B9699-3FC5-4AE1-A317-18769EEE5F25.jpegAlso moved it to the front (north side of house a month back).

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I left some stubs for Jin.
just wondering now how to deal with this.AE150DB0-E71B-43D9-8A6A-C5C93C99D29F.jpegSome research on carving will definitely be in order. Looks like 4 big branches -obliterated previously with snowplow- I chopped when collecting.
Any thoughts on how to approach this?👍

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Well, growth has been sluggish to say the least. Some of the newer growth has also retreated and called it quits.
Not going to be happy if the other little branches at extremities die.

I’ve noticed that in its new (East) location it Was only getting about 2 hours of direct sunlight- shaded out by the scots pine.914B1801-ECE5-4600-ABE4-CAA324F4166E.jpeg
Red x marks old location.
So I moved it out of the shadows and into more direct morning sun.
Evening pic.D50A5072-C97A-4B3C-A476-F28F2F13BCEA.jpeg
Also spun it around to give the other side dibs on sun.
I figured I may as well start doing something with the dead stumps. Jin-arama!ED34B40A-4F3A-41B2-8984-632E497A1B41.jpeg
Jin pliers came so time to get Jinny with it. All new territory for me so we’ll see how it goes. Have lime sulfur on the way.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Leave it alone until it starts pushing lots of new growth or you’ll kill it, probably another year or two. Here are a couple of shots of mine after a little over a year out of the ground. I don’t plan to touch it until a least next year even though it put out a lot of new growth on the main trunks this year.

7CE3E29C-C944-495C-BD26-FE7070EBD577.jpeg6BB141B5-2A83-4556-8DE1-3A7613CF25C3.jpeg

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Leave it alone until it starts pushing lots of new growth, probably another year or two. Here are a couple of shots of mine after a little over a year out of the ground. I don’t plan to touch it intil a least next year even though it put out a lot ofView attachment 318804View attachment 318805 new growth on the main trunks this year.
Nice! 👍
Yeah I haven’t done really anything to it aside from guy wiring the main canopy apart for light. Well,.... that and moving it to its new spot.
It gets fish fert once every other week.
How are you fertilizing yours?

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
MiracleGro every couple of weeks, misting 1-2 times a day and water once a day. The pumice haydite soil mix is very well draining so anything that doesn’t stick to the pumice runs right through. It gets morning sun until 8Am until 1 PM then is in the shade the rest of the day.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
MiracleGro every couple of weeks, misting 1-2 times a day and water once a day. The pumice haydite soil mix is very well draining so anything that doesn’t stick to the pumice runs right through. It gets morning sun until 8Am until 1 PM then is in the shade the rest of the day.
Thanks.
yeah, I wish I had better soil in there. Not sure how great the current mix is.
At the time I just threw in all of whatever I had to fill the large box. I’m afraid some of the turface I mixed in, broke down and is caking/mucking up in there.
When testing moisture, I find a lot of variance.
pockets of wet and dry areas.
live and learn. 😁

Top Bottom