What will you do in 2022 to push your boundaries?

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'm curious what everyone is planning to try this year to increase your skills or knowledge.

I'll start with three things on my list:
1) I have a few trees that I've been growing in the ground for ~3 years and it's time for my first big trunk chops on material that I care about.
2) I'm going to attempt some root grafts!
3) I'm going to try to put together a few Saikei-inspired landscape plantings.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Focus. I know that primarily maples and a few other deciduous are where I want to focus. Lots of nuts and bolts learning so far, this year the plan is to action the knowledge I've been building in a more cohesive and structured way.

The idea of getting another black pine has crossed my mind to familiarize myself with the species further, and I'd like to get better with copper wire, but we'll see. I don't feel as comfortable with shaping those and already have younger material to grow out. Might sell the older one I have that has all kinds of trunk problems that can't be addressed, and see if that makes me feel better about dropping cash on another.

I do want to learn pines more, it's more a matter of if it's gonna happen in 2022 or later.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Quit being so timid about pruning/cutting back. I had a Sunday afternoon cleaning up of the tropicals a couple of weeks ago and they are responding nicely. Also, since having some success with cuttings last year, I plan on starting a bunch more just to trade/give away because it's fun.

jonfromchicago

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
This year I'll be learning how to Air Layer two of my Dawn Redwoods, learning how to make a rock slab out of concrete, and by the end of the year, I'll be learning how to graft on a Limber Pine.

Taste

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Read more bonsai literature, study and listen to more lectures, focus on my the trees i have and only expand with a few mame additions. Begin jin work and deadwood in general.

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
cool thread.

1. I will be collecting workable trees this spring, over due for sure.
2. ground layering my most expensive tree. Usually I just fail on cheap material but I'm ready to fail on the good stuff now haha.
3. gathering material for my first grove planting. Probably won't start that til 2024 technically...

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Soon I'll be repotting my shishigashira maple from nursery pot to a grow box. Assuming that goes ok, later I'll be attempting my first air layers on the same maple. This will all be my first work on any maple.

I'm also trying to grow a bunch of different types of trees from seed. I know this is part of the beginner trap, but I've found that some trees don't like my climate and others love it. I'm basically throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks.

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
I'll be digging up some from my raised bed for rootwork and braver chops! Then really focus on development of branches on some of my more promising material.

Also hoping to try a couple of root over rock projects with some young hornbeams.

Finally, been meaning to join a club - must do that this year!

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Studying tree botany...There's so much regarding bonsai and botany on the internet. It's been my weakest spot.

Have just started reading 'The Hidden Life of Trees

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Grafting, grafting and grafting.
Got some schweet cherries to play with for a couple euros.

Moving some trees to refinement, which is going to be a terrible experience.. No fertilizer in spring?! Jeepers!

Tums

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Figuring out which species could be any good. I have a stupidly strong collecting instinct and preordered a ton of seedlings this year.
Cutting propagation using some plastic bins as humidity domes.
Improving nebari and lower trunk movement on some of the plants that I got last year. Didn't give it much thought at the time and now it will be harder to fix.
Joining a local club. Jonas Duipuich from Bonsai Tonight is giving a talk next week so that's cool.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I ordered 3 JWP 2 yr seedlings, so keeping them alive being my 1st seedlings to care for
and repotting them successfully the following year.
I have 2 juniper in ground with nice trunks I need to focus on preparations to lift eventually.

doctorater

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
  • Successful collecting of native oaks and ponderosa pine (and wishing I had an experienced local person to show me how they do it).
  • Increased patience, steadiness and consistency in tree care.
  • Hardwood cuttings.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
1. Doing a large mixed species salkei/forest planting.
2. Lots of collecting and air layering.
3.Repotting very large trees at the studio
4. Styling more prominent trees at the studio with my teacher now that I am more trusted.
5. Project trees in my own collection.
6. Lots more learning both with classes, at the studio and on my own.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
1) Continue experimenting with cuttings and air layers
2) Try to raise some tiny trees in tiny pots
3) Play around with nebari correction in various forms
4) Try scion grafting my practice shinpaku
5) Go to more bonsai exhibitions
6) Interact with more people around the country/world
7) Learn to prune shinpaku for dense pad development
8) Hopefully have success with this ezo spruce rock/hillside planting I've got planned
9) Visit more bonsai nurseries

Top Bottom