what's it worth? nerifolia cascade

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
ok i really want one of these.
the cost is a little on the high side to me. i am also scared of winter shipping the seller is asking $130 i believe.

i may have to wait till spring to find one of these.

for reference i have also added a pic of a similar tree that i fell in love with last summer from dasu bonsai. it was $75.00. more than likely this summer a similar one at dasu will be $100.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 77
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 67
  • bonsai.jpg
    bonsai.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 77

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I wouldn't pay 130 for the one in the blue pot. Especially not when it is shipping to me in winter when I know it could get cold. I think the other tree is probably worth the 75 but shipping tropicals in the winter is still risky. I'd wait. Just my 2 cents. You will be able to score a similar tree in warmer months.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
i know. i will wait. i just dont see alot of cascade styled ones and i have about 12 willow leafs but they are all 1/4 twigs still. i cant wait till summer. lol.

thanks.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You can also contact him (this is from eBay correct?) and ask if he has what you are looking for. He is a very nice & trustworthy guy and I purchased lots of trees from him directly w/o any problem.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am just curious...

Why do so many people in the North East grow tropicals?

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I am just curious...

Why do so many people in the North East grow tropicals?

i love everything tropical. having the trees just makes me feel good. i wish i lived in orlando but i dont. this is my first year trying to overwinter 3 home depot trees. (one cotoneaster and 2 juniper). nerifolia has been very forgiving to me. It back buds easily and can be grown in my apt. I will never have a bench as lovely as yours...but maybe someday i will have one great piece. i grow tropicals because i can. lol. thanks : )

Last edited:

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
Have you tried contacting some Florida nurseries directly and asking them if they have what you're looking for? Ebay seems okay for trees, but the big nurseries have tons of material that isn't posted anywhere on-line. Rows and rows of pre-bonsai Ficus. Shipping so far North in January would be a bit dodgy, but you can probably line one up for the Spring.

Dragon Tree, Wigerts and Durastone are three that come to mind.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I havent contacted anyone directly. i have looked at every online catalog i could find. i am still new here so im still learning who's who in the bonsai world. wigert's name does come up alot. thanks i will try to reach them directly. i also just saw meehan's for the first time...nice starters.

Kirk

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I agree with Mat. You can purchase a $35 ficus from Wigert's and receive a much better tree than most on ebay.

Kirk

BUBBAFRGA

Mame
Reaction score
Would have to agree with others....need to call Eric or some of the other Florida's nurseries. Tell them what you are looking for and your price range and they will forward you Pics. I bet they will accommodate you and be a lot better than these.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
As a former Iowan, I suggest you visit DaSu in Kelley. Dave is an interesting and knowledgeable guy, and like many nurseries, has more trees (and better deals) than he could possibly show online.

Every nursery has its personality...be prepared for an American Pickers-type experience...lots to see and explore.

Top Bottom