When is the best time to repot Ficus carica?

karen82

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry it's not really a bonsai question exactly... but I figured some Ficus expert would know. I know deciduous species are best repotted before they leaf out, but tropical Ficus are best repotted in midsummer. I have two culinary figs in my greenhouse that did drop their leaves over winter, but I wasn't ready to repot them when they began to leaf out in spring. Did I miss out on the repot window for them, or can they be repotted in midsummer too?

palafr01

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'm not a ficus expert but I think you should be okay. Given how easy culinary figs are to propagate I think you have more leeway than you would with many other plants. It is a bit strange your figs didn't go dormant, but I don't think that will affect them too much. Maybe someone else will chime in if they have had a similar experience with their own figs.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I was just thinking about this…I can start Ficus carica cuttings successfully in the summer without any issues. I would think it would be the same as repotting a tropical ficus species. As long as you provide proper aftercare.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I've found ficus carica very hard to kill here. Even glyphosate will not kill the seedlings that come up in my nursery and garden.
Repot in spring definitely works but I'm confident you could chop roots hard any time of year and they would still grow back.

Top Bottom