Where to collect good material?

papkey5

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
It always amazes me when I see posts about people who have collected trees from nature that already have the form of good bonsai, but I always wonder where they manage to find such treasures. Is there a certain type of environment that these trees are more likely to show up in? Living in Eastern Pennsylvania there are plenty of woods and forests but I would imagine that some sort of hiking trails that feature (or at least come close to) natural cliffs and steep slopes would be the place to search. What do you all think the best types of locations are for collecting young trees or established dwarf trees?
This last late winter/early spring I did 2 things. I first posted a question on FB if anyone had any unwanted the trees in their landscape. I offered to come dig it out and backfill for free. Second, I went to business park properties that were available for rent. When a business park doesn’t have a tenet there is no one to pay for landscaping upkeep.

GreatLakesBrad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Be sure to leverage any relationships in your network as well - both of my collecting spots are private property. One is an ‘up north’ cottage property that happens to have an incredible bog (larch, thuja) and the other is hunting land owned by a friend and his extended family (hornbeam, beech).

brainstorm anyone you know who has acreage, and ask if they’d mind you doing some exploring. When you explain that you’re not looking to remove a 100 year old 5-foot diameter tree, they are more than happy that you’re taking an interest in the property. In my experience anyway.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Note about public lands.

If it has the word "Park" or "Preserve" in its name, collecting will almost always be denied. Only properties designated "Forest" have harvest as part of their original purpose. East of the Mississippi many "Forests" have had their missions changed to "Preserve" or "Recreation Land", at any rate Parks, Nature Preserves, Wilderness Areas, and most Recreation Lands will nearly always deny collecting permission.

@HorseloverFat - you live in the woods. And your relationship with local park officials is unique. Probably due to your habit of being seen by them nearly daily with your daily walks through their areas. Also, "ya hey der" in Wisconsin, people are friendly in a way that someone from NYC would never believe. You betcha.

You are so far north that you know what a "tuque" is, even though that is mostly Canadian attire.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
where there’s a will , there’s a way , LEGALLY. You will find spots , just takes time, diligence and creativity. Knowing aftercare is key. Forests are where I’ve made success , private lands personally owned or introduced to in PA. Also, abandoned mines or railroad systems , they cut them down anyway via train you just need permission and right spots. Makes friends with the Amish, and farmers. There are other states to get collecting permits too ya know. Just make a vacation out of it with the Mrs.

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Keep an eye out for future construction sites. They raise the land anyway, so the plants get bulldozed

Heck, if you’re nice, maybe the excavator operator will dig it up for you, haha

A few of my plants came from a shut down trailer park. I called the info number which was the owner, and I talked to him and he gave me permission to dig and cut what I wanted

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Keep an eye out for future construction sites. They raise the land anyway, so the plants get bulldozed

Heck, if you’re nice, maybe the excavator operator will dig it up for you, haha

A few of my plants came from a shut down trailer park. I called the info number which was the owner, and I talked to him and he gave me permission to dig and cut what I wanted

If you ask the contractor or construction foreman you almost always get a "no" for liability reasons. If you happen across the equipment operator while working, he/she is usually pretty accommodating.

A. Gorilla

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Explaining to farmers wtf I'm even talking about.... sounds excruciating.

They will probably hear: "land" and "take" and shut that down real quick.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Explaining to farmers wtf I'm even talking about.... sounds excruciating.

They will probably hear: "land" and "take" and shut that down real quick.

Farmers who hear, "I'll pay you to take weeds out of your fence line" are pretty receptive, in my experience.

Top Bottom