White stuff on Hornbeam

Jcmmaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just notice these white spots on my collected hornbeam, any ideas on what it is or how to treat it. 5156CCAE-78D9-400A-B393-ACD7E3AC4BFE.jpeg2D578763-0A1D-44B8-BFB0-FA6C2BC9BEE7.jpeg

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'm not sure about what the stuff inside the red circle is. Hornbeck.jpg

Otherwise, it all is just lichen, IMO.

Lichens are not harmful. They are a symbiotic fungal-algal organism (a fungi that discovered farming!) and a good sign of an unpolluted environment. I like the look of age they add to my trees.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I agree with the above^^^. There is quite a bit of lichen starting up, but the circled in red area could be scale. See if it scraps off with your fingernail. If it is live scale, it may be a bit gooey inside. If it is scale, I would rub it off with a q tip dipped in alcohol.

Jcmmaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well I went to inspect it further after the rain eased up, and I saw this. I can only assume it’s mold, is that correct?88C07430-C519-4D62-AE9C-891CF48B705A.jpeg

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Is that section of the trunk dead or is it still alive?

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There is definately some lichen there. What concerns me is that there may be some fungal infection, or maybe fungus growing on dead wood. The tree bark seems rather dark in that area.

Jcmmaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That’s what I was thinking last night, carve the middle and just let the suckers thicken up. I think it will make an interesting tree.

Top Bottom