Who are we?

Rick Moquin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It has been 6 months since Bonsai Barry started this thread...

So who are we?

Will
A stick in a pot, but with character and potential

At 288 members this site is very much in its infancy. How this child develops is dependant on the direction we chose to take this site. To date it has attracted a variety of enthusiasts from differing backgrounds and levels.

IOT be really successful I believe that a balance needs to be achieved and maintained wrt what is posted, or for how long a thread should argue semantics. Stimulated discussion is good to get the "juices going" as Brent would say or threads of substance that one can sink their teeth into.

This fascinating pass time has many aspects, these aspects vary as much as the varyance in the enthusiasts along its journey. Everyone has their own reasons for taking up this fascinating hobby, and it is with these reasons that each and everyone of us are individuals. But regardless of our reasons, we should be receptive to other aspects of this hobby in order to further advance its development.

One might say that discussing the artistic side of bonsai is not discussing bonsai, and one would be sorely mistaken with that approach,having said that too much of one over the other makes for boring television. I believe it is more important to discuss varied topics but at the same time, one should know when a thread has runs its course and therefore its usefulness, and if said usefulness has been reached, allow it to slip to the annals of the forum.

I further believe that our job as enthusiasts is to challenge and replace myths with factual data. This has taken place of late with the advent of the internet, having said that, the internet spreads the myths as a virus in many cases. There has been tons of literature written on this subject, some good while others are down right works of fiction (for the lack of a better word). Are these references wrong? Hell no! just the flavour of the day at the time they were written or published. Heck one only has to look at the advances made in potting medium over the last decade to understand the aforemention observation. Bonsai has evolved over many centuries but I believe that its current growth is exponential with the advent of the internet. I further believe that we as a community should embrace this growth and improve on it. That is where we as a community can serve future generations of enthusiast best.

Last edited:

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I'm very new to bonsai. I am trying to gain as much knowledge as possible from talented, experienced bonsai folks.

I agree completely with JasonG. I do not like the definitions debates, American Style, Art versus Craft threads, etc. Pretty much EVERY bonsai forum has a Natural Style, or a American Style thread that seems to go on for 10 pages. I read them, and try to glean the details, but most of the time, I really am not all that interested.

The threads I enjoy the most, are usually pictures of a trees progress over time.

It seems like so many advanced people look at the world of bonsai thru the eyepeice of an electron microscope, trying to see the smallest details and particles.

For some, this ever-decreasing window or viewpoint, and the debates that follow, is the fun part.

Yes of course this makes all the sense in the world, why didn't I think of it! Just imagine how simple all of this would be if we limited our discussion to what is wrong with some-one's seressa, and the ever popular ten thousand ways to prune a stick in a pot. We should make rules against discussing anything that has anything to do with art, or craft, or definitions of terms all of us already know, after all---- what's the reason for that? This way no one would be left with the feeling that maybe they have been doing something wrong.

Why not just tell people when their trees die that that's what they are supposed to do---eventually, some just do it sooner than others. That way no one is left feeling they did something wrong and that they are on top of the game already, even after two-weeks into bonsai. If someone comes along with some off-the-wall idea that bonsai is art we will all band together and knock him/her down for suggesting that such an idea was viable. Every body knows ideas don't make bonsai, bonsaiers do. To make sure we confuse no one we should ban any mention of soil, styling, or material, these things just give people too many options to consider as they start their journey down the old dirt road of bonsai.

If we are not careful, and God forbid, we just might start a new style of bonsai;---The ignoramusai.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
3b
I can sense another two pages at least of heated debate and personal attacks...

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I can sense another two pages at least of heated debate and personal attacks...

Why? I just agreed that the ignoramusai is the movement of the future. We don't need any of the esoteric stuff. Who cares whether bonsai is an art or a craft? As to material? Everybody knows that every tree out there whether designed by Tony The Pony or Masahiko Kimura started out as a stick. But you see that's the point. If we all agree to gang up on these guys who post this artsy-fartsy stuff we can get them to go away so that we can all go back to teaching each other and making each other think we are great, and wonderful and know everything. And why not we are and do. Besides; if we don't know it,---- it's probably not worth knowing.

Last edited:

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
If one assumes that I am agreeing with someone and you cannot determine who that someone might be, rather than name names,--- I will agree with myself.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nobody is saying that certain topics should be forbidden, just that some of them have been done to death and some make little sense.

Sashi-eda:
Another big deal on the web these days is a distinction being made between "Classical Japanese Styles" and "Naturalistic" bonsai style. What are your thoughts on that?

Boon:
"Classical Japanese Style," "Naturalistic Style," "Traditional Styles," and "Contemporary Styles" are all worthless classifications. They belong in a trashcan! There is good bonsai and there is bad bonsai--and stuff in between.
Bonsai shape and style is rooted from the trees from nature.

See the full quote at http://sashi-no-eda.blogspot.com

Boondock

Shohin
Reaction score
Nobody is saying that certain topics should be forbidden, just that some of them have been done to death and some make little sense.

This quote is what I was trying to say.

I'm sorry Mr Vance Woods, I didn't mean to raise your hackles.

But I bet, back in the 1960's when you started learning and practicing bonsai, SOME info and SOME topics, would be much more interesting to you, and relevant to your skills at that time.

By looking at all the bonsai forums as a whole, there are some that are the meat and potatoes, and some that are nutrition-less empty calories.

Many of the threads that I refer to, engage only about a few percent of the readership. Those SAME FEW PEOPLE who have the experience and skill to participate at that level, do not often freely share information. And if they do share it, it is sporadic or cryptic or both.

For example. Smoke is a member here, and is a prolific writer and teacher. 6 months ago while in the bT chat, he was talking about yamadori and how quality stock is key to bonsai success; followed closely by experience and talent. He spoke in great detail, and for me, it was a "A HA" moment, where things just sorta clicked. It has happened several time since then. Not to mention his articles and threads prepared with photo documentation which appeals to novice and expert alike. Brett (from evergreengardenworks) is another person where I read every single word (and sometimes commit to memory). There are many others people who participate in forums (or private websites/blogs), and in the "big picture", these are my teachers.

There are several people on this forum who have that ability, experience, and talent to instruct. But my guess, is that they do not do it for reasons related to money, fame or prestige. I totally understand that there are people who gain their livelihood from bonsai, and would not pass the smallest piece of information, unless there was something in it ($) for them. I guess I cannot blame them for that.

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Then for God's sake, if a subject makes no sense to you or does not interest you, skip it, ignore it, avoid it, don't whine and moan about it all day. Forbidden subjects? What's next? Burning books?

What do you do if the TV has a program on you don't like, scream at the screen or change the channel? There are many threads here on all subjects, pick one you like and participate in it, let those who like other threads participate in them as well. Trust me, not every word you discuss is valued by others either.

Television (and forums) have hundreds of choices for a reason, so there are choices and options for everyone at every level, what I like, you may not, so be it, we simply watch different channels. People need to stop screaming at what others choose to watch and demanding that only their program be allowed and that it be the only program on every channel, 27/7.

Boon: "Classical Japanese Style," "Naturalistic Style," "Traditional Styles," and "Contemporary Styles" are all worthless classifications. They belong in a trashcan!

Hmm, I wonder if he would say the same about other art form classifications, such as Impressionism, Expressionism, Fauvism, Cubism, Dadaism, Surrealism, etc... should these classifications all be thrown into the "trash can" also? Should they be divided and simplified into good or bad art? I find it hard to believe that all the art historians and critics are wrong Chris, excuse me if I go with historical basis on this one.

Good or bad art, that's obvious. What type of good or bad art, that is the question. Why do we divide Shohin from Mame? Formal upright from cascade? According to Boon, it is just good or bad, right?

Boon goes on to say in that same interview, "Most people who are attached to these classifications often are not good bonsai artists--and they hide behind rules."

Well the only person I know of that is seriously attached to the naturalistic classification brought up by Boon would be Walter Pall, who is certainly a good bonsai artist and certainly does not hide behind the rules at all.

Will

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ah, so you HAVE read it!

To be able to describe bonsai as art, you have to be able to define "art."

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Then for God's sake, if a subject makes no sense to you or does not interest you, skip it, ignore it, avoid it, don't whine and moan about it all day. Forbidden subjects? What's next? Burning books?

Look, if you are going to purposely change and twist people's words, how can anyone have a logical discussion about an issue? Who brought up forbidden subjects? Your buddy!

What do you do if the TV has a program on you don't like, scream at the screen or change the channel? There are many threads here on all subjects, pick one you like and participate in it, let those who like other threads participate in them as well. Trust me, not every word you discuss is valued by others either.

Television (and forums) have hundreds of choices for a reason, so there are choices and options for everyone at every level, what I like, you may not, so be it, we simply watch different channels. People need to stop screaming at what others choose to watch and demanding that only their program be allowed and that it be the only program on every channel, 27/7.

This is why it's so difficult to voice a different opinion on some web fora. Minutiae and philosophical bits picked from the teeth after dinner are bandied back and forth (all with proper decorum and don't vary from the subject, thank you very much!) with thousands of words, so many that the average person does not have the strength to raise an objection.

Only one of us seems to be bothered when someone disagrees with us. I have my views. Here's one you'll like. I don't think bonsai can be classified as art in the same way the schools of art have sprung up through history. To believe that, one would have to come to some very fantastical conclusions, including that found objects are art because an artist says they are, that the same found objects claimed as art by a plebeian would not be art, that something becomes art when placed in an artistic setting, or that something becomes art when an "expert" says it is. One would have to come to the conclusion that "talent" trumps technique, and that a tree owned by someone who did not design it can never truly be "theirs."

Who are we? We are bonsai enthusiasts. We are bonsai artists. We are bonsai craftspersons. And the main reaon I come to bonsai fora is to learn and share knowledge of styling, technique, and display. I don't care what someone's political leanings are or what axe they have to grind. I care about taking my bonsai to the highest level I possibly can. And I hope to buy some really great trees some day. So I get the best of both possible worlds. And yes, I realize, I am an artist. I have a lot to learn. But I will learn what it takes see the best possible tree in a piece of material, and I will learn what it takes to bend the tree to that vision.

As far as I know, there is only one person whining and complaining.

Hmm, I wonder if he would say the same about other art form classifications, such as Impressionism, Expressionism, Fauvism, Cubism, Dadaism, Surrealism, etc... should these classifications all be thrown into the "trash can" also? Should they be divided and simplified into good or bad art? I find it hard to believe that all the art historians and critics are wrong Chris, excuse me if I go with historical basis on this one.

Like it or not, Will, I doubt any of those people would be on your side in this debate. Those schools of art are what they are, and are defined by art critics and historians. There is some debate as to the artistic value of some of them, but that debate is largely quashed by the art establishment that favors the avant garde.

Good or bad art, that's obvious. What type of good or bad art, that is the question. Why do we divide Shohin from Mame? Formal upright from cascade? According to Boon, it is just good or bad, right?

Boon goes on to say in that same interview, "Most people who are attached to these classifications often are not good bonsai artists--and they hide behind rules."

Well the only person I know of that is seriously attached to the naturalistic classification brought up by Boon would be Walter Pall, who is certainly a good bonsai artist and certainly does not hide behind the rules at all.

Will

Boon says a lot of things in that interview. And AoB's own Andy Rutledge came down squarely in this camp with his article, "Classical vs. Naturalistic = Useless Debate." Yes, Walter is squarely in your camp, and of course is entitled to his view of bonsai. Many of the trees that he calls "Naturalistic" are great trees.

But even Walter agrees that most debate about the subject is useless! Now before you make some fantastic allegation that Boon denigrates Walter's trees, Walter has been a guest at Boon's and they got along famously. Boon's comments are obviously pointed at hangers-on and wanna-bes who produce faulty bonsai and call it "Naturalistic." Find your controversy elsewhere.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Really?

Then how is it we can describe painting and sculpture as art?

Will

I can describe them as art and place value judgements about them precisely because I CAN define art. If you can't define all of the terms in your sentence or argument, then your argument is nonsense.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I can describe them as art and place value judgements about them precisely because I CAN define art. If you can't define all of the terms in your sentence or argument, then your argument is nonsense.

By all means, educate us, define art.

Will

Reaction score
USDA Zone

Will

Nope, I don't run an entire web forum dedicated to dissecting art as it pertains to bonsai. I would think it would fall to such experts to come up with a working definition of the two words of substance in its title. I can find the thread that defines bonsai. Where is the one that defines art?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Look, if you are going to purposely change and twist people's words, how can anyone have a logical discussion about an issue? Who brought up forbidden subjects? Your buddy!
Nothing was twisted.

This is why it's so difficult to voice a different opinion on some web fora. Minutiae and philosophical bits picked from the teeth after dinner are bandied back and forth (all with proper decorum and don't vary from the subject, thank you very much!) with thousands of words, so many that the average person does not have the strength to raise an objection.

...... One would have to come to the conclusion that "talent" trumps technique, and that a tree owned by someone who did not design it can never truly be "theirs."
Technique alone will never trump talent with technique. You either have talent, or you don't. It can't be learned like technique, it can't be bought, it can't be sold, sorry.

A quality bonsai owned by someone who didn't create it can never be claimed as their work. You can own it, you can show it, but it is not a product of your talent until your talent changes it from the product of the original artist's talent, but this has been successfully debated already.

I care about taking my bonsai to the highest level I possibly can. And I hope to buy some really great trees some day.....
On this we agree, well almost, instead of buying, I hope to create some really great trees some day.

Like it or not, Will, I doubt any of those people would be on your side in this debate. Those schools of art are what they are, and are defined by art critics and historians. There is some debate as to the artistic value of some of them, but that debate is largely quashed by the art establishment that favors the avant garde.
Chris, they are there, they exist, they will continue to do so as will bonsai artistic classifications.

Now before you make some fantastic allegation that Boon denigrates Walter's trees......
Never did, never thought of doing so.

Will

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I can describe them as art and place value judgements about them precisely because I CAN define art.

Nope, I don't run an entire web forum dedicated to dissecting art as it pertains to bonsai. I would think it would fall to such experts to come up with a working definition of the two words of substance in its title. I can find the thread that defines bonsai. Where is the one that defines art?
Yet, you made the claim you could in fact define art, but when challenged, you backpeddled.

You either can or you can't define art Chris, you made the claim (or bluff), and I called you on it. What's it going to be?

Here's some help Chris, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art and also http://www.csulb.edu/~jvancamp/361r14.html

Have a good night,

Will

Last edited:

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Think anyone will ever post a freakin tree in this thread?

Who are we?

Shurly not bonsai tree posters.

BigBill

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Not usually one to dig up the proverbial dead horse so it can be beat on again but here goes.

"Tooting own horn" I have and continue to run several forums for a wide verity of things. The gauntlet of range from Hot Wheels to Propagating Coral for Home Reef Aquarium. As well as several guild sites for online gaming for all you gamers out there... "tooting complete" I know how difficult it is to keep everything inline for your vision of what you want your forum to be... With that here goes.

What I am looking for in a bonsai forum as a newbie.

#1 and most important. I am looking for a place that I can go to and not get lost in the numbers. I have been to many sites that literally have hundreds if not over a thousand members and as soon as you post something it is bumped off the first page in the matter of minutes never to be looked at or answered.

To me a board with a lower number of QUALITY members is more empressive to me than a board with a 1000 members and the same number of QUALITY members.

Another issue of established boards is what I like to refer to as 'clicks'. Established little groups that only reply to each other and pretty much ignore everyone else, or they gang up on newbies just to tell them they are newbies and to shut up.

The main reason I decided to start posting on this site and still 'lurk' on other ones is just that. There is an extremely talented group of bonsaists on this site, and I personnally learn more from listening to people and looking at their pics, then from reading books. Guess thats why I like books with more pics and less words. but thats just me.

I respect everyones point of view unless they are just trying to start an argument. Life is to short to be bothered with "trouble makers" or people that exist only to start drama and turmoil on a forum. If you dont have anything contructive to say then dont say it. I always stick to quality posts over quantity of posts.

The stick in a pot -- Sometimes when someone posts a pic of a stick in a pot it is because we need someone to say "Sorry but thats a stick in a pot". I as a newbie have to say the biggest challenge for me is seeing the future. I have the hardest time looking at a possible bonsai and seeing what it could be. So if I post a stick in a pot, please just say sorry but that thing will take years if ever to amount to something.

This reason above all is why I like it when people post pics of pre-bonsai, either in the wild or in the nursery pot and say why they picked that one. I am currently in the buy crap from the nursery and hope I can do something with it phase. I for one cannot afford $100 for a tree and hope that it lives and becomes something close to being called a bonsai. So wild collected trees looks more and more attractive.

So to bring a close to this long winded post

I am looking for a site with tons of information from Quality people that want to help out the new guy without being mean to them for being new and not knowing what they know. If everyone knew everything then there would be no point in having forums.

thanks for reading

Bill

Last edited:

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
It's good to have you here. Wild trees are wonderful, but just because it is wild does not necessarily mean it is going to be a winner. There are some native trees that are terrible candidates for bonsai and there are some that are world class. As to nursery trees, you can make good bonsai of nursery trees but just because it is a nursery tree does not necessarily mean it will not make a good bonsai. In both cases it all depends on choices and the choices are yours.

Top Bottom