Why did you start, and continue Bonsai?

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I tend to look for unique trunks and such...To find the same bones...would be a needle in a haystack. Could I find another unique piece...yes. But...reproduce what I lost...I don't think I could to be honest.
cool, i tend to go with stumps. ive not leg go any trees that i could say well hey, ill never see another one like that again, it might just be that you come across it in another species.

W3rk

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
My origin story begins with a visit to the National Arboretum and finding the National Bonsai and Penjing Museum in DC about 20 years ago. I was of course fascinated and amazed by the trees. Over the years this has been a destination that I've visited and also taken people from out of town to share with them. Then around 4 years ago my wife asked me if I would like a bonsai for my birthday. And so it started with a solid mail order Chinese Elm (which has easily spawned another 12+ clones).

But what also really did it for me, my real light bulb moment, was visiting a local club show. The trees at the National Bonsai Museum seemed impossible. But at the local show I got it, I saw that and what you could do in your own back yard.

I've always been into art in general, I like to draw and make things. In addition to enjoying walks in the forest/hiking I have also found a real joy in growing things (trees/plants/veg/flowers), it brings me joy and satisfaction.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'm really into plants and I love them. I collected my first one when I was 5, a small cactus that I put in a cup, took home and planted. It's still there as far as I know, I moved from that home in Phoenix a long time ago. I liked plants so much that I became a landscaper and landscape designer, but it turns out that people don't want to pay much for these services, at least where I lived.

At any rate, I watched Karate Kid when it came out and that got me a bit interested, but one of the houses we rented as a family in high school came with a bonsai, the owner told me I could mess with it if I wanted. It was a juniperus procumbens and was already dying, so watering it didn't help at that point. But seeing one in person got me hooked. I found a book in a bookstore, I think it was the Sunset book, and tried making bonsai. The first few trees were failures, but I still have the first tree I got through mail-order from Brussel's, I bought a shimpaku and one or two tools I think. That was 1990 or 1991.

Once you get the bug, it's hard to stop. I've started all over again several times, disasters have taken out my collection too many times, from theft to house fire to flood, and even a couple harsh winters early on before I figured out that trees in pots are not as cold hardy as the listings might indicate.

Since coming to Oregon, I've found a great many people here who are really into bonsai, and that's been great.

I'm also into art and design, so creating art with plants is fun.
It's an art form that can challenge you as far as you want to take it, and the fact that you can never stop learning about it holds great appeal as well.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I started cuz I found the beginning and continue cause I haven't found the end.

Sorce
You friggin' zen jackass, you. LOL

I like trees. I like plants in general, but trees are awesome. Couldn't keep me out of them as a kid, and it's not too hard to find an excuse to climb one now as I'm entering middle age. Can't keep me out of the woods now when I can muster enough of an excuse.
Like many others, I also find miniature things cool, except dogs. Miniature dogs are just awful, useless things. Go big or go home. But I dabbled in models as a kid, experimented with enclosed terrariums as much as I could manage with plastic wrap and coathangers before adolescence, was jealous of the train set my dad built with my big brother but not with me. I recall asking, though, "can you make the little model trees out of real live trees. Then there was Karate Kids and I got my answer as me and my little brother beat the crap out of each other trying to do those moves. Combine that with my zest for science class and my penchant for over analyzing and drawing connections, and I can't imagine why we don't have people farming on space stations yet.
I would bring home those little saplings they gave away on Arbor Day, and my dad would promptly mow it over while cutting the grass, quite intentionally. I'd say, "I want to grow things." He'd scoff. Put some pics of my first attempts at bonsai on our family text message thread because I was excited. He replied joking about how he would mow them down back in the day, to which I just responded, "yeah, and it pissed me off." I would ask my mom about joining her in the vegetable garden every year, and she say something about boys don't usually like to grow things. I was six and could still argue that boy farmers grow things all the time, and the Brits have a long tradition of growing flowers. She said, "but we're American." I guess good red-blooded American penis bearers don't grow stuff?
I probably would have grown up to be a forester if I'd had any encouragement at all.
My ex-wife got me one of those little mini bonsai kits, then knocked it out of the window and let it sit there on the floor drying out all day, and that was that for fifteen years.
Still have trouble convincing my wife now I can figure out anything at all about plants to this day.

So, long story short after a long story anyway, I like growing things, I like experimenting with things, and I like being in the woods. Bonsai fits into all of that. All I gotta do now is not kill all of them.

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I always loved trees and forests. For Christmas 2019, I got a box of "bonsai seeds". I was excited to plant them but waited quite a while. During the covid pandemic, I decided to start reading up on bonsai only to be shocked that the seeds were just normal tree seeds and that many types of trees could be bonsai trees. For some reason, this just sparked something in me that wanted to learn more and more.

Here I am, less than a year later, still with no bonsai but now I have a couple trees and a bunch of seedlings and I'm just gearing up for my future bonsai endeavors! I am currently driven by the urge to see my trees grow.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Post #50 is my story. (I've been in this so deep I've been published!)😜 It helps to be a perfectionist, control freak and OCD (Obsessive Repulsive Disorder) although I'm none of those things. I take everything I do to the logical extreme, so I do fit right in. Inasmuch as there are more kinds of trees in this world than it is possible to do one of each in one lifetime, people who are compelled to try one of everything can practice bonsai their entire life. I started relatively late in life so I guess I'll be doing this until they have to pry my last one out of my cold, dead fingers. It keeps me young, as Henry says...Ford's Quote 2.JPG

Last edited:

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
You friggin' zen jackass, you. LOL

I like trees. I like plants in general, but trees are awesome. Couldn't keep me out of them as a kid, and it's not too hard to find an excuse to climb one now as I'm entering middle age. Can't keep me out of the woods now when I can muster enough of an excuse.
Like many others, I also find miniature things cool, exce dleaves ogs. Miniature dogs are just awful, useless things. Go big or go home. But I dabbled in models as a kid, experimented with enclosed terrariums asinterst much as I could manage with plastic wrap and coathangers before adolescence, was jealous of the train set my dad built with my big brother but notss with me. I recall asking, though, "can you make the little model trees out of real live trees. Then there was Karate Kids and I got my ans
I'm sorry your parents didn't encourage your interest in trees/plants. But I understand. The first winter I brought my trops in my husband railed about the p*ssy trees and leaves making a mess, yada, yada, yada. Last year he warned me when frost was imminent and helped me get the lights set up. I have a Fairy Garden my sister gave me that my son told me I should put some of trees in AND one of his friends thought my trees were cool, so it gets better.

Lutonian

Chumono
Reaction score
Luton, East Anglia, England, Great Britain
USDA Zone
9a
I love nature & woodlands, I found various elms that have survived Dutch elm disease in my local landscape and propagated them with a view to repopulate my town with them. I got caught by an older gentleman planting them in a local park and he suggested bonsaiing (is that a word?) some. Now its become a monster that has consumed my life ( In a good way)

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
My dad was the most influential on my endeavour, though sadly bonsai was never a part of our life.

One vague reference was made to a religious aspect that used bonsai, and I'm positive that's why it never
was a part of our life. Not that religion was shunned, it was the biggest part of our life, but that the religion
was different from ours, and that is terribly sad, because my dad would've been a master at it.
He could rattle off the names of any indigenous tree any time of year by the bark or number of, or depth
of the lobes, making the difference between which oak or whatever tree in question.
We burned wood in a buck stove for heat and he had a log book of all the different woods we burned
including Witch Hazel and chinquapin from our own property, so I gained a respect, but didn't learn enough from him
as a kid, then as a teen it was just firewood, but we had lots of big assed trees on our property I spent
lots of time around long before video games, cable or satellite tv, then came the internet my dad never knew.

We had a cluster of different conifers in our yard my dad was proud of including white and red spruce
and a towering hinoki. This must be why I cater more to conifers. We also had over 50 hemlocks my
dad and grandfather dug up on a family farm in Ohio and transplanted them on our property.
The state forestry div tagged an Am Beech the largest in circumference at that time in the state of WV
and the year my dad died, that tree died. I expect the same with my bonsai, but hope differently.

I became associated by the popular movie, mallsai, and roadside storefronts in Florida.
I continue because I don't want them to die. They're my children.

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
Great thread! I started during lockdown 1.0! I'd had a ficus (typical box store job) a few years back, had no idea how to look after it and it died.

Decided to try again, with a very classy s shaped chinese elm. Found this forum, quickly learned that trees are for outdoors (who'd have thought 🙄😂) and soon enough I was hooked! I think the amazing info, tips and kindness on here was what really got me obsessed with it, and soon enough my garden was looking a lot nicer (and fuller!)

I'd been searching for the 'perfect hobby' for years, and I finally stumbled upon it. Really has been life changing.

Being quite unsociable, spending my weekend pottering around the garden, looking at my trees is perfect. And I'm really loving learning - from reading and observing through the seasons.

I'm currently very excited (and nervous) to begin repotting (soil has been ordered) and putting in raised beds some some of them 😊

Gaea's listener

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hello all,

Perhaps done to death, and asked many times before but I was thinking today about my own reasons and wondered about others’.

Not how did you get in to bonsai but why?
Why do you spend countless hours researching, typing, talking, working and even teaching, bonsai? What keeps you doing it? Why?!
Lovely thread, thank you for starting it. I enjoyed reading everyone's "why" and stories shared. @ConorDash- would you like to share your story? What was your reason to start and why do you continue?
I read the whole thread hoping you answered somewhere but since couldn't find your answer, I had to ask.

dtreesj

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I like growing things and wanted something more involved to aim for, I also like natural aesthetics miniaturized. I got more and more into it once I realized it's a process and not really a defined end result. A lot of bonsai are only in a "show" state just for a season every once in a while, they don't stay that way constantly. The development process interests me a lot. The end result is a great payoff for sure, but if that's all I cared about, I could just buy a tree from one of those production line nurseries.

Berra

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have been (computer) programming since I was 14, it used to be my only hobby. Then I got a job as a programmer right after high school, and kept programming in my spare time.I worked Long hours, and I got burned out by 20. Then I quit the job to study computer science, Still programming hobby projects in my spare time, sort of feeling like I was heading for another burn out, from time to time. Then got a job after university, Still programming, Still coding as a hobby. Still feeling on the verge of being over worked and like I was never relaxing. Always feeling I had to learn this and that in the evenings and weekends.

Turned 30 a few years Ago and realized I needed a new Main hobby. A time consuming one that I could dive into to distract me from thinking about work.

One day as I was randomly browsing reddit, I found pictures of bonsai trees. I had never had a plant at this point, except a couple of cacti. But I decided to try this hobby out by buying(and killing) a few trees, and quickly got hooked.

This is my fourth year of "bonsai", I think im not really doing bonsai at this point. Merely learning about horticulture and trying to make trees survive. I spend a lot of time reading, walking in Nature, and taking care of my small collection.

I rarely code in my spare time any more, got no time for that. I am more relaxed, and happier. I try not to bring in elements of stress or pressure Into my tree interest. Will not try to get really good at this hobby, not interested in competitive aspects etc. For me, so far, this is about escaping anxiety and doing something not computer related. :)

Fidur

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm a mathematician, and a teacher.
I have always loved nature, but engaged in bonsai only the last 10 months.
To me learning all (😆) about bonsai is being as my first year in the university. I spend at least 4 hours daily to study and practice (sometimes 10 to 12 hours). It's as exciting as it was 42 years ago. I'm enjoyng this a lot....
So why did bonsai atracted me so much?. As a math teacher I have been incresingly depressed by the behavior of my students, wich are not interested or intelectually challenged by math. So year after year I have the feeling I achive nothing in my profession.
But with bonsai I feel that I can achive something (though it takes time, something I'm used to), and the funny fact is that I have already achived a lot: I'm in love with all my trees, no matter if they have a great nebari or they are a stick. I just enjoy to sit in front of everyone, observe the growing patterns, think about its future development, look for pests and admire their beauty....

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I'm a mathematician, and a teacher.
I have always loved nature, but engaged in bonsai only the last 10 months.
To me learning all (😆) about bonsai is being as my first year in the university. I spend at least 4 hours daily to study and practice (sometimes 10 to 12 hours). It's as exciting as it was 42 years ago. I'm enjoyng this a lot....
So why did bonsai atracted me so much?. As a math teacher I have been incresingly depressed by the behavior of my students, wich are not interested or intelectually challenged by math. So year after year I have the feeling I achive nothing in my profession.
But with bonsai I feel that I can achive something (though it takes time, something I'm used to), and the funny fact is that I have already achived a lot: I'm in love with all my trees, no matter if they have a great nebari or they are a stick. I just enjoy to sit in front of everyone, observe the growing patterns, think about its future development, look for pests and admire their beauty....
I guarantee you have changed lives through math, they just don't know it yet.

JackHammer

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I wrote down " what hobby is most fulfilling?" with my right hand and then moved the pen to my left hand and wrote "bonsai".
Something about writing with your left hand connects to the right side of your brain so you can understand how you feel better.

Next, I wrote down, "what is my purpose?" And I got an 11 character word of gibberish. That describes my purpose perfectly!

Aaron S.

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I loved to garden and landscape. I had a real nice 4k gallon koi pond, with a lot of flower and garden beds scattered around my yard. Then I injured my spinal cord and can no longer garden and landscape like I used to. So I switched over to growing bonsai because then I could go back into landscaping and the trees are small enough for me to move around.

Top Bottom