Why do some of my leaves look like this

Eddy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
What causes this? Started looking like this for the past day or two. Tree is a stewartia monadelpha.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just looked at another thread just like this one.
Weird huh?
I'm guessing some kind of deficiency.
Maybe foemina deficiency.

Eddy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Yea I accidentally posted 2 threads. Can't figure out how to delete this one lol

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Just upload your photo here since you have got replies here.
Let the other thread alone.

Eddy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Here's what it looks like.

Attachments

• IMG_5193.JPG
    IMG_5193.JPG
    175.1 KB · Views: 80

iant

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Fungus... like shot hole fungus or another.
It's early though. You can tell by the tiny rust colored spot with a little yellow around it. Those will enlarge and make holes.
Ian

Eddy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Fungus... like shot hole fungus or another.
It's early though. You can tell by the tiny rust colored spot with a little yellow around it. Those will enlarge and make holes.
Ian
What do I do about it? What fungus spray would you reccomend?

iant

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
I spray with copper (liqui-cop) or daconil
Ian
p.s. (I could be wrong... but that's what it looks like to me.)

Eddy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I spray with copper (liqui-cop) or daconil
Ian
p.s. (I could be wrong... but that's what it looks like to me.)
Do you spray the foliage or the soil? And how much/how often?

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Looks like it could maybe be the start of some sort of leaf gall which could be caused by an insect laying eggs or biting, or a bacteria, or a fungus...

Something about it looks more like insect to me, like maybe a mite of some sort.

Eddy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Looks like it could maybe be the start of some sort of leaf gall which could be caused by an insect laying eggs or biting, or a bacteria, or a fungus...

Something about it looks more like insect to me, like maybe a mite of some sort.
Could it be leaf spot? Or the start of it? I'm about to spray with a fungicide/insecticide hopefully it works

iant

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
I spray the foliage and try to avoid the soil. Get the leaves wet on all sides. Maybe spray once now and again in a week. It depends a bit where you are, what the weather is doing.
Ian

Eddy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I spray the foliage and try to avoid the soil. Get the leaves wet on all sides. Maybe spray once now and again in a week. It depends a bit where you are, what the weather is doing.
Ian
It's been rainy and hot high is 75-85 lows are around 65

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
It's been rainy and hot high is 75-85 lows are around 65
Could always hit it with copper and an insecticide a day or two later just to be safe. Better to treat for fungus and insects than treat for insects when its a fungus or vice versa.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@Eddy
Yeah it could still be leaf spot. To me, it just kind of looks like stippling from mite damage, but I could definitely be wrong. Either way the fungicide/insecticide is your best bet. Avoid spraying the plant during the hottest part of the day. Good luck!

Eddy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
@Eddy
Yeah it could still be leaf spot. To me, it just kind of looks like stippling from mite damage, but I could definitely be wrong. Either way the fungicide/insecticide is your best bet. Avoid spraying the plant during the hottest part of the day. Good luck!
I've inspected this tree for the last 3-4 days and can't find any insects on it at all besides the usually little fly and stuff dropping by. I pulled the tree out of the pot being sure not to disturb the roots and saw some really really tiny white little insects maybe a few of them 3-5 of them. Didn't see anything else.

iant

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
I wouldn't worry too much about things working out. A little leaf damage by insects or fungus is par for the course. Your avatar tree looks healthy so I think you could lose some leaves or have a few that are spotty and be fine.
Ian

Top Bottom