will it kill my ficus

mrme

Sapling
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a baby ficus and was want to play around with and see what happens.
If any of you can give me ideas on what would happen that would be most beneficial.

1.cut off the stem an inch or two from the ground so all leaves are gone.

2. cut off half the leaves.

I am wondering what it would do to the stem branches and most importantly the leaves, this is a baby plant and smaller leaves would be excellent. It is under a grow light.

Attachments

• 2014-11-08 pl4.jpg
    2014-11-08 pl4.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
It's a Ficus benjamina, simply moving it can kill it.

This is also a variegated form. I wouldn't count on the benjamina becoming a bonsai anytime soon, as they're just not the best material. I wouldn't quite say they're the best to learn on either due to their finickiness.

Long story short, yes your ideas would kill the tree.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you want this to become a Bonsai, your best bet is to let it grow.

However. I recall you saying you are not ready to jump into the whole Bonsai thing just yet, for fear trees will die.

Well, trees do die, but they can teach you a great deal along the way!

No reason you cant defoliate a branch, cut the terminal bud and see what happens.
But you don't want to chop it to nothing. Thats a death sentence with no education!

What is your soil?

Have a look at bonsaihunk.com for some great tropical info.

Sorce

mrme

Sapling
Reaction score
If you want this to become a Bonsai, your best bet is to let it grow.

However. I recall you saying you are not ready to jump into the whole Bonsai thing just yet, for fear trees will die.

Well, trees do die, but they can teach you a great deal along the way!

No reason you cant defoliate a branch, cut the terminal bud and see what happens.
But you don't want to chop it to nothing. Thats a death sentence with no education!

What is your soil?

Have a look at bonsaihunk.com for some great tropical info.

Sorce

I'm down for the bonsai thing, just not down to blow a couple of 100$'s
The Benjamina and jade are doing well. the jade im told is a slow grower but im sure it has doubled in size since my last post !

But yes these are not bonsai. Maybe ill keep my eye open for a big tree with roots laying around some where. this will probably be in the summer.

Im gona try to clone these trees some how and see how that goes. then ill try to plant them in different containers and see what happens. Maybe i can stop it from growning at this young age ?

but yeah really not bonsai. Too bad its winter here of I would of head to the forest.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I'm down for the bonsai thing, just not down to blow a couple of 100$'s
The Benjamina and jade are doing well. the jade im told is a slow grower but im sure it has doubled in size since my last post !

But yes these are not bonsai. Maybe ill keep my eye open for a big tree with roots laying around some where. this will probably be in the summer.

Im gona try to clone these trees some how and see how that goes. then ill try to plant them in different containers and see what happens. Maybe i can stop it from growning at this young age ?

but yeah really not bonsai. Too bad its winter here of I would of head to the forest.

Your Jade, I hate to tell you, but isn't the Jade used for bonsai. The Jade used for bonsai is Baby Jade, Portulacaria afra. You've got just a Jade plant, Crassula ovata. The leaves are a bit too big.

I wouldn't try to stop the trees from growing, either. The benjamina has to thicken up quite a bit, so I wouldn't prune it at all.

DougB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Your best best to learn and obtain material is to join a local bonsai club. There are at least 3 in Quebec. Just Google "bonsai clubs in Canada(or Quebec)". Good luck and stick it out, this is a wonderful hobby at times.

Top Bottom