Willow Leaf Ficus - Leaf dropping need to settle a home discussion

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
We have a Willow Leaf Ficus at least 7 years now that my Wife likes a LOT. This is the first winter it has a draft free lighted enclosure. As ever other year about 3-4 weeks after being inside it has started dropping leaves. I feel that after Several years of the same thing happening it is just normal for the tree. She however thinks something is "wrong" and is now talking about aslo "heating" it somehow.

It has done well every year regardless of the Winter shedding, and even on the window sill it stays a minimum of 64 degrees. The 5-6 other Ficus types in the same enclosure are not shedding so I do not think changes should be made - If I suggest that and her favorite tree dies I loose - If she fusses it to much and the tree dies and I don't say anything I loose...

HELP! :confused:

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Ficus usually react to change (as in relocation) by dropping leaves.

Unless something else happened, you shouldn't be alarmed.

The good thing is that she shares your hobby with you. :)

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It should send out new shoots shortly. Watch those and if they don't look healthy (or you do not get new leaves)...that is the time to do something.

Check that you have high humidity where they are BTW. Good luck!

(I hate it when the odds are all against you - and you cannot win...just status quo or lose. :D)

elliott

Yamadori
Reaction score
willow leaf ficus are spoiled brats

This type of ficus seems to be more sensitive to changes than other of the more common types we usualy use for bonsai. Sometimes even turning the pot around after it's been in the same position for a year or more will cause the tree to "sulk" and some leaf drop will occur.
Please tell your wife, that heating the room will also dry the air and THAT will definatly stress the tree.
You can get a seedling heat mat from any plant nursery to sit the pot on. That will bump the ambient temp of the roots about 5 to 10 degrees F. This will make the tree a little happier, but its not realy needed. With ficus, less is better.
Oh, and don't over water. ficus leaves turn yellow when watered to much. All ficus go through a period where they shed there leaves aprox once a year. Don't mix that up with a leaf drop from to little water or some other mild stress.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thank you so very much! I think it will be ok as well but honest I think we will both feel better reading the repiles :)

ericN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi GL,

If you have it growing for several years now, why use an enclosure? Enclosures in my opinion is not necessary, especially that your ficus is already acclimated to your growing area.

Hope that helps
Eric

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
GrimLore, its a goner, depending on the size you will have some good firewood though . :) NAW, Ficus drop leaves at least twice a year when moving them indoors and again outdoors. Its more noticeable when moved indoors as they don't replace as quickly, still though its never more than 10-12 days and they have regrown indoors. I think it will be fine, it just wants to get your attention so it knows its loved .

ed

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
No so fast

They don't have to drop thier leaves, please check it for bugs, best clue is sticky stuff on some leaves. Scale and aphids are the big culprit for these.

Not enough light will make this happen as well, but be carefull add a light to a box can turn it into an easy bake oven.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Another note might be your watering of it...
Once you bring a tree inside, you must also limit
it's amount of water...

Far to often someone loses a tree due to the fact that they
continue the same 2 or 3 or even 4 days of the week watering
schedule that they did outside with the sun and the wind, etc.

Any plants I bring in I usually limit it to about once a week !!!
:)

I agree but I would like to add that it depends on your tree....the species and how much foliage you have.

I learned that my logwood are as thirsty inside as when outside. I assumed (wrongly) that I can water it a lot less and it dropped leaves because it dried up. So...do not over generalize, instead watch your tree and adjust to its needs accordingly :).

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Honest - I agree all of the tropicals act different in different climates and conditions. This one seems to be EXTEREME sensitive to changes in Fall and Spring. I was worried the Wife was concerned but after EVERYONE assured us the plant is just the sensitive type I am looking forward to seeing it do ok for many more years :)

BonsaiMon

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I feel Bill S hit on a key issue.. light.. a few weeks before you move it indoors move it to a shady area. This may help it handle the light difference without droppin as many. I agree ficus and many other tropicals do a leaf drop naturally.. if the tips are healthy it's usually fine.

Top Bottom