Winged elm Acquisition

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well. Not a ton new to report. It grew just ok this season and mostly threw shoots from one or two spots and that’s it. Otherwise it mostly just grew leaves and did not extend much. All of the branches did thicken a bit, so there’s that. I have to imagine the labored growth was due to the ground layer I am attempting. I think though the tree will be better off for it.
85FC2BB0-E77C-4A51-B97F-B18EF31850AF.jpeg

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Nice Ulmus, Hart!

I'd definitely go wide next time you take this guy to the cobbler's. (I would) Start getting that base to visually balance at the bottom, the weight of the middle.

I think at it's current angle, your questions about the Apex are apt...

As It sits (displayed to us), now, in my opinion, the apex should "end up" a tad to the left of the trunk, IF you are keeping the "slant"-theme going.

We grew a few accidental windfall Ulmus Alata, this year .. and honestly, yours DO look a touch more like Cedar Elms. (Or should I say a touch LESS like Alata)

What do the leaves feel like when rubbed?

@rockm , how "rough" are cedar elm's leaves... I am just unfamiliar.

I DO know that American Elms and Winged Elm's leaves FEEL different, maybe we can use a similar contrast to nail this identification coffin shut.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice Ulmus, Hart!

I'd definitely go wide next time you take this guy to the cobbler's. (I would) Start getting that base to visually balance at the bottom, the weight of the middle.

As It sits (displayed to us), now, in my opinion, the apex should "end up" a tad to the left of the trunk, IF you are keeping the "slant"-theme going.

I've grown a few accidental windfall Ulmus Alata, this year .. and honestly, yours DO look a touch more like Cedar Elms.

I DO know that American Elms and Winged Elm's leaves FEEL different, maybe we can use a similar contrast to nail this identification coffin shut.
Like rough or rougher than a cat's tongue or medium to coarser grain sandpaper. Usually that roughness is "one-way" on the leaf, also like a cat's tongue.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice Ulmus, Hart!

We grew a few accidental windfall Ulmus Alata, this year .. and honestly, yours DO look a touch more like Cedar Elms. (Or should I say a touch LESS like Alata)

The base is buried basically for ground layering needs. Hoping I get a nice ring of roots to raise to going into this spring. Cant say I rubbed the leaves when they were on. The tree was quite literally nothing great to look at during the growing season so I never snapped any pics. Just watered and fed.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Like rough or rougher than a cat's tongue or medium to coarser grain sandpaper. Usually that roughness is "one-way" on the leaf, also like a cat's tongue.
This is a lot like AMERICAN elm, too...

However, Alata is much smoother,in comparison.

The base is buried basically for ground layering needs.
Great to hear!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is a lot like AMERICAN elm, too...

However, Alata is much smoother,in comparison.

Great to hear!
American elm leaves tend to be very large. Cedar elm leaves are large when they're three inches long. They are generally less than two inches. Much smaller, twiggier dense tree as well.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Yes.. this was just in reference to texture alone. For the comparison of Cedar or Winged.

I believe that OP's elm looks more like a Cedar.

I know that Alata leaves are smooth in comparison to American Elm.

You let me know that Cedar Elm's Texture is rougher, much like what I know of American Elm (American Elm was never in the identity equation as ocular analysis would be enough).

I was just hypothesizing my way to;

"when the leaves come out, rub 'em.

If they're rougher, I'd think Cedar.

Conversely, if they were smoother, one would assume Winged.

🤓

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My leaves feel the same. Winged elm from the same seller as yours and tx cedar elm from wigerts on the right.IMG_20221025_113055842_HDR.jpgIMG_20221025_113112681_HDR.jpgIMG_20221025_113125707_HDR.jpg
IMG_20221025_120315309_HDR.jpg
IMG_20221025_120325604_HDR.jpg

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Hehe!

So now, we only know that American Elm has Rougher leaves than those two...AND THAT DOESN'T HELP! 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Back to square one!

(My bad, just an idea... That didn't work! 🤣🤣)

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here is my American elm. FeelsIMG_20221025_122636124_HDR.jpg the same too but all are pretty tattered end of the year leaves. All are rough in one direction.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My tree 100% has the same appearance as @Underdog tree on the left. And the branches look nothing like what his tree on the right shows. Does that mean mine is a winged elm? Don’t know! 😂 But all I can do is take the word of the seller. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Last edited:

Doogliebop

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I've been trying to identify some native elms collected on my property for months to no avail. All's I know is my Chinese elm leaves are all smooth and my collected elms are very rough which I believe to be American elm. Also bc the bark and leaf size of a mature tree in the proximity suggest American.

Attachments

• IMG_20220918_105616.jpg
    IMG_20220918_105616.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20221003_121654.jpg
    IMG_20221003_121654.jpg
    364.2 KB · Views: 16

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've been trying to identify some native elms collected on my property for months to no avail. All's I know is my Chinese elm leaves are all smooth and my collected elms are very rough which I believe to be American elm. Also bc the bark and leaf size of a mature tree in the proximity suggest American.
You need to post your location (state at least), as that is critical to IDing ANY plant you have...without that info, no one can really help you

Top Bottom