Winter images

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thank you. Do the leaves reduce much? Any other tips on the species you can give are appreciated!
There are some threads about these, try the search function. As there are several varieties, it is probably dependent on that somewhat. I've had reasonable luck with this in a small pot and partial defoliations.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
All top notch but I have a question about this one. Have you given any thought about working the hight of the branches down but wider, to make the overall canopy lower but wider? Great tree!

View attachment 276260
Actually, no or not until now. It is a little too upright. Hmmmmm... The canopy looks lower with leaves. I'll get back to you.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks for sharing. Love your trees

Can you tell me a little about this one?
View attachment 276300
I haven’t really had a clump style tree that moved me very much, but this little one is.🙂 I also think that is an amazing pot!

Thanks again
This is a clump that I've had for quite a while, it's Korean Hornbeam. I think it might be the first one of many that I've had. The pot is Koyo, and sorry it's a bit dirty right now. I got the tree from Don Blackmond. This one is quite slow in its growth habit, some are slower than others. In need of some wiring and a haircut. I usually work the maples first then do the hornbeams later in winter. This one has some issues with all the trees being in the same front to back plane, and some people also would not like the fact that it is 4 trunks, so it's always been sort of a conundrum. I'm sure I have a thread here for the tree somewhere where all this is discussed, if you want to look further.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
This is a clump that I've had for quite a while, it's Korean Hornbeam. I think it might be the first one of many that I've had. The pot is Koyo, and sorry it's a bit dirty right now. I got the tree from Don Blackmond. This one is quite slow in its growth habit, some are slower than others. In need of some wiring and a haircut. I usually work the maples first then do the hornbeams later in winter. This one has some issues with all the trees being in the same front to back plane, and some people also would not like the fact that it is 4 trunks, so it's always been sort of a conundrum. I'm sure I have a thread here for the tree somewhere where all this is discussed, if you want to look further.
I like them just the way they are.

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Very nice. Most of my trees are mulched in right now and the rest are hardly worth looking at but I'll probably take a trip down to the root cellar this afternoon.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Not the classic deciduous winter image...

But here are several Japanese White Pine seedlings (from Julian Adams) enjoying the snow beneath a much larger Ponderosa. I’m in a temporary housing location for now. I arranged these seedlings this way for moving purposes, and well, haven’t seen much need to rearrange as I’ll be moving again within the month.

86F05DEF-7CC6-426F-B0C6-06DD7D2BF13A.jpeg

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Not the classic deciduous winter image...

But here are several Japanese White Pine seedlings (from Julian Adams) enjoying the snow beneath a much larger Ponderosa. I’m in a temporary housing location for now. I arranged these seedlings this way for moving purposes, and well, haven’t seen much need to rearrange as I’ll be moving again within the month.

View attachment 276471
Where is the destination? Staying in CO?

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for sharing. Love your trees

Can you tell me a little about this one?
View attachment 276300
I haven’t really had a clump style tree that moved me very much, but this little one is.🙂 I also think that is an amazing pot!

Thanks again
I really love this rule breaker. It is probably my favorite but then I like breaking rules.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
View attachment 276572
@forsoothe I really like the branching on this tree. a seamless transition from the v cut. super neat work :)
Thank you. There was a third ~trunk between what's there now that was poorly placed and couldn't be carved to look like anything that wasn't out of character. This tree flowers prolifically, too, but the flowers are BB sized brown fuzz balls arrayed along a stick that are unattractive. Millions of them.

Last edited:

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
All top notch but I have a question about this one. Have you given any thought about working the hight of the branches down but wider, to make the overall canopy lower but wider? Great tree!

View attachment 276260
Good suggestion. You get a Gold Star.🏅

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
A few...
Princess Persimmon, Shuho pot:
View attachment 276266

Ume just starting to bloom now, Sam Miller pot:
View attachment 276267

Ginkgo, Heian Kouso pot:
View attachment 276268

Itoigawa juniper shaggy and in winter color, Sara Rayner pot:
View attachment 276269

Hawthorn, Suishoen pot:
View attachment 276270
This is my toughest critic so print out and frame this quote from my wife, Brian:

"I like the trunk, love the bark and great ramification". Believe me mate, that is as good as it gets.

Happy New year if I'm not on tomorrow - will be wiring, drinking port and singing cheesy 80's hits :)

Top Bottom