Wire bite hemlock

Yugen

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Hey one and all!

Im wondering if anyone has had experience with Hemlocks (mountain and western) and wire bite. In particular, if the hemlock acts more like a conifer; where we want, expect wire bite to hold branches, and see the scars fade over time, or, if the hemlock acts more like a deciduous where wire bite is a permanent damage that never goes away.

Thanks!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
At least with eastern (I know not what OP is asking), I’d think it would heal up quickly. I’m not sure if the bite would’ve detectable in the bark texture for long? I would say treat like a pine, but not with certainty.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
@River's Edge, do you have any experience with wire bite on your hemlock?
Not really, I tend to remove wire on time or a bit early. Then let the tree rest for a few months before reapplying. It is important to remove the wire on time, and if reapplying the wire to re position. Young branches and vigorous growth can bite in quickly, this is coupled with a species that is very springy and requires a fair amount of time to set branch position. Typically I apply wire on my hemlocks in late fall through the winter. Tend to remove when beginning to bite in and leave off till the next fall. Also tend to use a bit heavier wire to hold better and take longer to bite in. Wiring on Mature Hemlock can often stay in position for a year or more. Young or vigorous stock does require more frequent rewire.
If the wire bite is severe I would not expect it to fade, but rather gather some character over time as the bark forms with age!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Here are a couple of examples of wire bite from this spring on my Tsuga c. I try not to let it bite in, but as I have letting the lower branches run, and it took me ( not very manually dexterous) about 14 hours to unwire.. it tends to bite in pretty bad in at least a couple places each year. This thing heals cambium fast, but I imagine there will be a least a trace of spiral in the texture of the bark for the next couple years. Maybe when the bark gets real flakey it will be invisible.195927A2-335B-4D2C-8595-FE5712EF9A09.jpeg560A650B-CF8C-438A-97DA-04570D5ED2FC.jpeg

Yugen

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Here are a couple of examples of wire bite from this spring on my Tsuga c. I try not to let it bite in, but as I have letting the lower branches run, and it took me ( not very manually dexterous) about 14 hours to unwire.. it tends to bite in pretty bad in at least a couple places each year. This thing heals cambium fast, but I imagine there will be a least a trace of spiral in the texture of the bark for the next couple years. Maybe when the bark gets real flakey it will be invisible.View attachment 320403View attachment 320404
When do you wire, when did you remove the wire, aka how long was it on, and how much dig in did you see on the wire?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I cut back and wire in the winter (Jan)..we, my brother in law does The wiring, because my fine motor skills are not great.
And then de-wire when I start to see it cutting in. This year, early June. The picture was about the worst of the bite. How long the wire is on does not matter nearly as much as how much growth has been done. I’ll be repotting out of the training pot next year, and chopping some sacrifice, so maybe I can leave in longer next year?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
@Yugen , can we see what material you are working with?
If I could get the seedlings to germinate, I’d like to try some contorted wire bitten styling.. I think the graceful foliage would be a nice contrast.
i also wonder if mountain and/or western hemlock would respond as well to high nitrogen fertilizer for rapid growth. I’ve been using Agri-form fertilizer tablets with my easterns, and they sure put out a lot of growth if the corse of a growing season.

Top Bottom