Wiring a Juniper

jjbacoomba

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
In Bonsai Today Master Series-Junipers chapter on ramification, it speaks of wiring secondary branches. Can someone direct me to pictures of this? I would love to see some examples other than what is shown in the book.Most of the pictures I have seen of wiring in the book and in forums,etc, only show wiring done on the main branches. Thanks, Joe

pauldogx

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I have done fine wiring down to 22 gauge wire. The finer the branch(or branchlet) the finer the wire. I recently helped wire an older San Jose juniper where we only wired the secondary and smaller branches. The main branches were set years ago and this was strictly "refinement" wiring. It took 2 of us the better part of 2 days to complete(the tree was approx. 24" high). It would be hard to represent what was done in a book. I would suggest a workshop or demonstration where this is being done so you can see it in person--that would give you a better perspective.

hank mazur

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5 A
In Bonsai Today Master Series-Junipers chapter on ramification, it speaks of wiring secondary branches. Can someone direct me to pictures of this? I would love to see some examples other than what is shown in the book.Most of the pictures I have seen of wiring in the book and in forums,etc, only show wiring done on the main branches. Thanks, Joe
Joe, i did find some pictures in Harry Tomlinson's book "the complete book of Bonsai " pages 70 -73 wiring techniques, Dave Prescott book "The Bonsai Handbook " pages 90 - 91 also might help. Since i am new to bonsai and most of the samples i have seen were in the 30 odd books i've read in the last 4 months. Not wanting to screw up my first tree, i went out and grabbed a few branches from the shrubs the landscapers pruned and practiced on them. I have found that my local library is a great source for bonsai reading material especially the out of print books.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have done fine wiring down to 22 gauge wire. The finer the branch(or branchlet) the finer the wire. I recently helped wire an older San Jose juniper where we only wired the secondary and smaller branches. The main branches were set years ago and this was strictly "refinement" wiring. It took 2 of us the better part of 2 days to complete(the tree was approx. 24" high). It would be hard to represent what was done in a book. I would suggest a workshop or demonstration where this is being done so you can see it in person--that would give you a better perspective.

Here's an older article I wrote just after I started studying with Boon:

http://www.bonsaikc.com/wiring2.htm

It contains some larger pics of developed collected trees and the wiring we did on them. The most important part of wiring secondary branches is "figure 3." Boon has a handout which diagrams any situation you might run up against in wiring collected trees, since they don't ramify smoothly like a trained deciduous tree should. Figure 3 shows the proper way to wire a "slingshot" type of branch, or any branch where you are wiring both sides of a fork with one wire.

You can find more discussion and better photos of Figure 3 solutions at

http://bonsaistudygroup.com/advanced-wiring-discussion/wiring-a-ponderosa-pine/

It's worth the trip. Here's a sample:

Figure3b.jpg

Last edited:

jjbacoomba

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Paul, Hank ,and Chris, thanks for your replies. Hope there will be a workshop on the subject soon. I will check out those books and the links posted. I am a newbie to Bonsai. Goin on 6 months and everyday I learn something new.I will try to post some pics of a juniper I did at a workshop last month. I havent decided on a style yet, but I think I will use this tree to practice on. Thanks for your help guys. Joe

pauldogx

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Here's an older article I wrote just after I started studying with Boon:

http://www.bonsaikc.com/wiring2.htm

It contains some larger pics of developed collected trees and the wiring we did on them. The most important part of wiring secondary branches is "figure 3." Boon has a handout which diagrams any situation you might run up against in wiring collected trees, since they don't ramify smoothly like a trained deciduous tree should. Figure 3 shows the proper way to wire a "slingshot" type of branch, or any branch where you are wiring both sides of a fork with one wire.

You can find more discussion and better photos of Figure 3 solutions at

http://bonsaistudygroup.com/advanced-wiring-discussion/wiring-a-ponderosa-pine/

It's worth the trip. Here's a sample:

Figure3b.jpg

Thanks for this info Chris. I am far from an experienced wirer--but the more I do it the easier it becomes. I do love seeing how others approach the wiring conundrums we all come up against.
What blows me away about the masters is how they can see wiring moves 5 or 6 steps ahead like great chess players!!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wiring gets easier and better with practice although some good teaching as the basis is crucial. I first learned to wire from Ben Oki, who takes his first wire around the trunk and out two branches, but he takes that wire clear to the end of the branch. This makes pairing branches more difficult and uses too much wire. Boon taught me to continue my wire for 1 and 1/2 turns past the next branch as an anchor, then use figure 3 to pair the anchored branch and the one I just passed, and so on.

It's hard to describe without videos and photos, etc. The best way to learn is to have a teacher. My first Intensive with Boon brought a Monterey Cypress that he wanted me to wire in a two line cascade. I gave him a blank look so he put the first (copper) wire on for me. For two days I put on wire and took wire off. I finally had something he would accept. I learned more about wiring from that one weekend than I had ever learned in any workshop or from any article, photo, or video.

Good luck and keep working on it!
Chris

Top Bottom