Working on Grafted Calif Juniper with Ryan Neil

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Gosh Vance, I went back and reread all of the posts, and unless I missed it, no one assigned "greatness" to this tree. Ryan and I will work on the tree together in the future, I hope that is o.k. with you.
Fore - The live vain was not smoothed out before wrapping with rafia nor was the dead wood. The dead wood will be worked on after the tree has a chance to recover and establish itself in its new pot, probably in 4-6 months.

Thanks Bob. Sounds like a good plan on the deadwood. And do you think the vein will need working when you unwrap it in a yr or two?

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Thanks Bob. Sounds like a good plan on the deadwood. And do you think the vein will need working when you unwrap it in a yr or two?

That I would be very interested in seeing how it is done.

bob shimon

Mame
Reaction score
The vein will not need to be worked on. It will "pump up" as the foliage mass increases. I'll post pictures of work and development in the future.

fore

Omono
Reaction score
The vein will not need to be worked on. It will "pump up" as the foliage mass increases. I'll post pictures of work and development in the future.

Ah, makes sense. I look forward to your updates of this tree!

How long do you mist in the aftercare?

Last edited:

buddhamonk

Chumono
Reaction score
I think this is a Great tree. I can already see when it's going to look like in the future. Being able to bring the foliage close to the nice deadwood and thick trunk is what makes this tree that good regardless of who did it. It just happened to be Ryan in this case...

bob shimon

Mame
Reaction score
Thanks, I do think that it will be a great tree in the future. I don't quite understand why Ryan's name, at times, draws a negative reaction. I'm convinced those who do have never met him. Besides being really talented, he is a nice, friendly, easy person to be around. Since returning from Japan, I have really appreciated and valued his talent and friendship.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I don't quite understand why Ryan's name, at times, draws a negative reaction. I'm convinced those who do have never met him. Besides being really talented, he is a nice, friendly, easy person to be around. Since returning from Japan, I have really appreciated and valued his talent and friendship.

You are lucky to have access to Ryan.

Most people love to be associated with winners. Others see them as a threat. A few get them misunderstood...and there are those who are also misunderstood. :)

No one here (as far as I can tell) gave a negative reaction to Ryan. I only seen various videos of him and everything I've seen is a great guy. I just hope he doesn't get burned out with all the bonsai activities he does. Nothings beats doing what you love but once it became work...it can change in an instant and snuff off the fire of fashion. I pray this never come to him.

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
Thanks, I do think that it will be a great tree in the future. I don't quite understand why Ryan's name, at times, draws a negative reaction. I'm convinced those who do have never met him. Besides being really talented, he is a nice, friendly, easy person to be around. Since returning from Japan, I have really appreciated and valued his talent and friendship.

I agree with you Bob. I have a feeling that there are a few "old - timers" in U.S. bonsai that feel threatened by Ryan's stated goal of taking bonsai in America to "the next level" These are the people who have been doing bonsai for 20 - 40 years and are not willing to accept the renaissance that Ryan is bringing us. There are people like this in the clubs I belong to.
As I've said before, I started in bonsai back in the 1970's but have learned more from Ryan in the last few years I've been fortunate enough to work with him than in all of the previous time.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I agree with you Bob. I have a feeling that there are a few "old - timers" in U.S. bonsai that feel threatened by Ryan's stated goal of taking bonsai in America to "the next level" These are the people who have been doing bonsai for 20 - 40 years and are not willing to accept the renaissance that Ryan is bringing us. There are people like this in the clubs I belong to.
As I've said before, I started in bonsai back in the 1970's but have learned more from Ryan in the last few years I've been fortunate enough to work with him than in all of the previous time.

I agree but we have to be careful that we don't ruin the guy through hero worship. I think his work is great and his teaching is easy to understand, at least from his videos. I am hoping to get him at one of our club functions as soon as possible.

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
The thread is interesting from a technical standpoint as it is something that I would say only very confident, experienced artists might attempt. Many of us might try this only a few times in our time in Bonsai (material needing lifeline separation isn't found very often for most).

I've learnt loads from listening to his lectures on pines & junipers just on YOUTube. Asking questions of an audience forces them to think ... using logic to understand WHY you are doing something underpins the HOW & WHEN.

bob shimon

Mame
Reaction score
I figure that it is a "win,win" for me. Working with Ryan has resulted in some great trees or future great trees, plus I learn alot in the process. I agree with Paul in the amount that I have learned in the last 2 plus years working with Ryan.
You can rest assured Vance that I haven't mistaken valuing someones talent and friendship for hero whorshiping.

Top Bottom