Would perlite sub for pumice okay?

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Goal is to get a pot a LOT lighter. All lava now. I know pumice can sub for some of the lava, but was considering perlite.
0223171609.jpg

A. Gorilla

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I've yet to find a plant which expressed any apparent dislike for it. When sifted, it's coarse, round, drainy and quite lovely for roots. Big box brands are very fine and you lose like half to sifting. Good stuff for hydroponics is less wasteful.

But for us humans, sifting creates a hazardous cloud of dust (wear a mask, for sure), and it floats and shifts if you don't do things to prevent that; keeping it mossed, for one. But preventable it is.

music~maker

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Perlite is a float out of the pot pain in the ass...
Yeah, I hate perlite for bonsai purposes. I want my soil components to have some mass to them so they don't move around so much. Perlite's great for improving drainage on house plants and starting cuttings. Beyond that, I don't have much use for it.

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would think if you don't get bad winters, it won't breakdown so fast. It can be a helpful filler if controlled, I have used a top layer of pea gravel to keep it down.

Victorim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Pure Perlite is fantastic on paper.. but watch it slowly wash away when it rains or pebble dash a wall with it if you hose. Didn't know perlite broke down, but i guess the point is moot.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Pure Perlite is fantastic on paper.. but watch it slowly wash away when it rains or pebble dash a wall with it if you hose. Didn't know perlite broke down, but i guess the point is moot.

Did you know that perlite is the soil equivalent of popcorn?

Perlite softens when it reaches temperatures of 850–900 °C (1,560–1,650 °F). Water trapped in the structure of the material vaporises and escapes, and this causes the expansion of the material to 7–16 times its original volume. The expanded material is a brilliant white, due to the reflectivity of the trapped bubbles. Unexpanded ("raw") perlite has a bulk density around 1100 kg/m3 (1.1 g/cm3), while typical expanded perlite has a bulk density of about 30–150 kg/m3 (0.03-0.150 g/cm3).[1]

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pumice instead of lava;). Is lighter than lava especially dry but holds more H2O when watered.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Don't take any chances with this tree. It's a nice tree. It deserves to be in good soil. Keep it in good soil

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
If you want it lighter you might consider getting rid of that big rock in the pot. That is going to make up for more weight than switching to perlite.

Unless there is a health reason for repotting this tree I would let it be for a couple of years. Wasn't this the tree that you repotted akadama then repotted it again when it had broken down in the same year.

Top Bottom