Wow …Jan. And 15 days above 40f….approaching 60f on a few.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Time to get the coolbot! ;)
We will be 61 monday 62 tues. but then drops back to normal after that. I think all will be fine, the trees don't have the dormancy hours they need at this point to wake up.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Time to get the coolbot! ;)
We will be 61 monday 62 tues. but then drops back to normal after that. I think all will be fine, the trees don't have the dormancy hours they need at this point to wake up.
Was going to mention this. It’s probably better it’s warm now than in February or late January. My stuff just went dormant so I’m (maybe stupidly) not worried a bit

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Agree with the above, after all trees have handled this and worse for eons, but some plants aren't as smart as others.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Just think, if we were not into bonsai (or snow sports) how happy we would be. But winter warming is more of a concern for most of us than winter cold. And for good reason.

agree
I would much rather it be in the 30s than the 50s right now

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yes after the 1000 hr dormancy requirement I read about……I really do have to force them in like 80f heat.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Ok I’m really confused. Did you mean to say 1000 chilling hours?

If so, this amount would likely meet the chilling hour requirement for just about any species.

If not, It would depend on the actual chilling hours and species/cultivar requirements..

Deacclimation once the Chilling Hour requirement is met varies widely between species/cultivar.

Cheers
DSD sends

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I'm not going to do anything. Most of my trees are on the ground, some in sun, some in shade. I'm just going to leave them be. It is early enough. Nothing should start growing. Should not be a problem as long as transition back to winter is above 0 (-18 C). If we drop suddenly to -20 F (-30 C), then we'll be in for a heap of winterkill, but if transition is into +20's, then teens, giving time to acclimate, no problems.

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Doubtful…. Your season is abbreviated anyways.

btw. You may want to PM @Chuah who is in Houston and compare notes. He’s very knowledgeable and has been there for a many years.

Ciders
DSD srnds
Here I was wondering where you'd been in another thread.

Chuah is the man! And this kind of shift is normal in Houston. Last year our Christmas was in the 70s iirc, maybe close to 80. We'll get random cold spells in January and Feb. Then in March when spring hits and I move everything out of cover, we'll get a freak freeze or two.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Been diving in the Philippines! Then got back just before the holidays and been busier than a one legged man in a - - kicking contest.
Chuah is the man!
That’s for sure.
And this kind of shift is normal in Houston. Last year our Christmas was in the 70s iirc, maybe close to 80. We'll get random cold spells in January and Feb. Then in March when spring hits and I move everything out of cover, we'll get a freak freeze or two.
Now that’s good local knowledge!

Happy New Years to all!
Cheers
DSD sends

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
After the storm... I'm only getting a total of three days above 40dF....

One of the rare times that being an "icicle person" will help my trees out!

🤣🤣

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Try 80 in San Antonio and 77 where I'm at... even the bermuda grass is starting to green in some areas. My trident seedlings remained dormant until 2 days ago when we suddenly went from 50 to 75. I guess I will pot them up in 4" liners and keep them in the garage under lights. I expect a freak cold spell the first week of February as we had the last 2 years. I hope my trees in the ground don't decide to break buds because that will mean a crap load of work for me.

Scorpius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
My trees are in the greenhouse till mid to late March come whatever weather I get.

Chuah

Shohin
Reaction score

Chuah is the man! And this kind of shift is normal in Houston. Last year our Christmas was in the 70s iirc, maybe close to 80. We'll get random cold spells in January and Feb. Then in March when spring hits and I move everything out of cover, we'll get a freak freeze or two.
I presumed you are a member of the HoustonBonsai Society, if not, please come and join us. Next year (2024) I will give two presentations on azalea seasonal works in the March and May meetings. The March meeting is on repotting azalea and the May meeting is on after flower maintenance and care.

Top Bottom