WTB: Cork Oak

Sunder

Seedling
Reaction score
I recently became aware of a species called a "Cork Oak". I am wondering if anyone has one they are looking to part with?
Let me know what you have!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I recently became aware of a species called a "Cork Oak". I am wondering if anyone has one they are looking to part with?
Would be helpful to know where you are. Location is important for this species. If you live in a region that gets winters with temperatures below freezing, you will have overwintering issues with it.

Cork oak is a pretty common bonsai species in sunnier, warmer regions, like Southern Cal. and S. Europe.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If you want a specimen tree, they are not easy to come by. If you want a tree to grow and develop do a search for quercus suber, there are a few nurseries online selling them. Evergreen Gardenworks is one that I would recommend, Brent have small 2 3/4" pot available right now. Like rockm stated above, they are a Mediterranean tree and like southern (warmer) regions. Below is the description from Brent's site.

Quercus suber (Cork Bark Oak) 0ø Evergreen tree to 70 feet or more. Native of the Mediterranean region. Small wavy gray green leaves and corky bark that is still used for wine bottles. Can tolerate summer water and makes a fine lawn or street tree for the west. Excellent for bonsai tolerating hard top and root pruning. The corky bark (pictured) is a fantastic addition to bonsai. These are quite fast growing and can be used for larger bonsai if grown out for five to ten years.

Sunder

Seedling
Reaction score
I live in WI. I have a grow tent setup where I can reliably keep it above 32*F over the winter season at my house. (From what I have read, they are fine down to 0*F - correct me if I am wrong.)

I do appreciate the advice on the care of the tree. I also have a “tropical grow tent” that cycles between 65-85* daily during my winter season.

I am not looking for a specimen tree, but also not something less than 3-5 yrs old.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I live in WI. I have a grow tent setup where I can reliably keep it above 32*F over the winter season at my house. (From what I have read, they are fine down to 0*F - correct me if I am wrong.)

I do appreciate the advice on the care of the tree. I also have a “tropical grow tent” that cycles between 65-85* daily during my winter season.

I am not looking for a specimen tree, but also not something less than 3-5 yrs old.
If I were you I would buy a small starter and see if it will tolerate the conditions you can provide for over wintering. The problem with Q suber is that it needs above freezing, AND adequate light during the winter. Also prefers things on the drier side. Tropicals are typically more tolerant of low light conditions. You don't want to spend lots on something that will gradually give up on you.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone

They are not hardy to 0 F in a container. I am in Zone 7, much warmer zone. I was going to get a cork oak a while ago, but didn't because a bonsai professional in the area told me the species is very iffy when temps get below freezing. In the landscape, their ROOTS may be able to survive 0 F for a couple of days, but the top will lose branching and trunks.

Don't know what your set up looks like, but I would also advise getting a small sapling and keep it for a few years before jumping in on a specimen or larger, more expensive tree.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
They are not hardy to 0 F in a container.
Depending on where you search they are hardy IN THE GROUND on USDA Zone 8-10, below a quote from the Wiki... which we all know is not always 100% right, but this one is fairly accurate.

The species needs very little light and cannot survive in dense populations.[clarification needed] It loves warmth, grows at annual mean temperatures of 13 to 17 °C (55 to 63 °F) and can withstand maximum temperatures of up to 40 °C (104 °F). In the area of distribution, the temperature rarely falls below freezing point, but temperatures down to −5 °C (23 °F) without damage and down to −10 °C (14 °F) without major damage can be tolerated.
I have seen a few posts on other forums where reports of branch loss was reported after a freezing event.

If you have a tropical tent already, that should be enough to keep it alive through the winter. It is an evergreen so it will need light and water the entire time.

LuZiKui

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I'm not sure what his inventory looks like right now or if he will ship across country, but @Housguy is who I got my cork oak from and I believe he's sold to a couple of b-nutters. It was a great tree that was probably about 10ish years old. Something like this is going to be in the hundreds of dollars range at any nursery, especially if it was wired early for movement. Also, I will warn that these can get a pretty large canopy if you are trying to gain trunk size. The foot print of mine is probably 3'x3' so keep that in mind if this is going into a tent or greenhouse, it'll need space.

IMG-3746.jpg

Secondly, @Eric Schrader who owns Bonsaify.com has these great cork oak starters (all of his material is top notch). This might be a good option to see if you can grow it in your climate for a year then maybe next year you buy a bigger tree once you're more comfortable? Just know that if you buy one of the starter trees from bonsaify it will be years before you start to see noticeable cork bark.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I have three cork oaks, and this is my largest. It doesn't look like much atm because I am letting some lower branches run. (These are the most apically dominant trees I have ever worked with). The other two are in Anderson flats and early development.

All I will say is that I left my trees unprotected in this last year's winter... with the freakish cold of 7F around Christmas, and though I lost 41 trees, this wasn't one of them. None of my cork oaks died.

It is important to note - this is not a very old tree. Cork oaks live by their name. When I bought this tree it was beanpole straight. I trunk chopped it very low, and the movement in the trunk is from a branch I trained upwards. If anything, this tree species is hard to work with because of the cork. Though even as I type this I suppose I could always wade in and cut cork off the top of the tree if it is getting too thick.

cork-oak.jpg

Hbomb

Sapling
Reaction score
I have an old specimen cork oak, that I’d be willing to sell. Will post pictures in a bit.

Nivel

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Depending on where you search they are hardy IN THE GROUND on USDA Zone 8-10, below a quote from the Wiki... which we all know is not always 100% right, but this one is fairly accurate.

I have seen a few posts on other forums where reports of branch loss was reported after a freezing event.

If you have a tropical tent already, that should be enough to keep it alive through the winter. It is an evergreen so it will need light and water the entire time.
Here in Iberian Peninsula they are distributed in zone 9-10 with an average precipitation of 1000 mm a year approximately.
qsuberdis.jpg

vesper818

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hi Sunder
In a couple monthes, i can send you a batch of cork bark acorns from the tree out front. Pm me if interested.

Sunder

Seedling
Reaction score
They are not hardy to 0 F in a container. I am in Zone 7, much warmer zone. I was going to get a cork oak a while ago, but didn't because a bonsai professional in the area told me the species is very iffy when temps get below freezing. In the landscape, their ROOTS may be able to survive 0 F for a couple of days, but the top will lose branching and trunks.

Don't know what your set up looks like, but I would also advise getting a small sapling and keep it for a few years before jumping in on a specimen or larger, more expensive tree.
oh, good point about the ground vs container. I may try that sapling and see if I can maintain it over winter first. Great idea!
Thank you!

Top Bottom