Wtf is going on with my crabapple tree?

MMJNICE

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So I got a bunch trees from evergreen this winter and besides the ordering process that is kinda weird and slightly frustrating for some and very frustrating for me the tree's have done Reasonably decent. But to These exceptions are a cork bark oak that has yellow leaves and this super weird growth on my sugar showtime crabapple.. Might as well put both trees in the same post.. so the crabapple started growing like this from the beginning I re-potted all my stuff early because I have a greenhouse and the growth has looked all weird from the beginning.. at first I thought it was what the flowers look like but I know I wouldn't have bought such an ugly flowering tree so nope.. so I've spread with Fungeside repeatedly on both trees to no avail. The corkboard I gave it a dose of iron along with a red maple that had yellow looking foliage. The red maple has bounced back to its right spring color but the oak nothing.. I have not given the crabapple any iron so haven't tried that and besides it looks so weird that I'm sure thats not the problem..I didn't re-pot the oak tree.. I'm posting pictures so someone ,,anyone with the knowledge can Diagnose and help me treat the problem before the Inevitably die.. thanks in advance..20230508_005449.jpg20230508_005418.jpg1683522833567878394434149480351.jpg

Attachments

• 20230508_005349.jpg
    20230508_005349.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 26

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I have one that has always done this too so I will be interested to see if anyone can propose a cause and/or solution.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
When you say "evergreen", do you mean Evergreen Gardenworks? If so, you should email Brent with some pictures of the abnormal foliage. I'm sure he could help.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a feeling this has to do with early growth in your greenhouse. It looks like some kind of fungal infection. Apples are susceptible to about a billion nasty fungal things, from fire blight, to leaf curl to powdery mildew (which can affect the condition of emerging leaves in humid conditions)...

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hmm…. Potassium deficiency often looks like chlorosis, showing yellowing similar to other deficiencies but often includes leaf curling and scorching at the leaf’s margins.

Kelp meal or Sul-Po-Mag might work followed up with a complete fertilizer with micros. Miracid, Osmocote plus etc..

I had to rush out and check my little Sugar Tyme when I read this post 🤣 Its ok.
IMG_8741.jpeg

Btw Can I ask where are you located (not on your icon)? Normally a Crabapple would not be greenhoused… too many disease issues, hardiness so good… etc

Good Luck
DSD sends

Last edited:

MMJNICE

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
When you say "evergreen", do you mean Evergreen Gardenworks? If so, you should email Brent with some pictures of the abnormal foliage. I'm sure he could help.
Well I guess it's worth a try.. if I get a few minutes tonight I'll see if I can shot a email to him.

MMJNICE

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have one that has always done this too so I will be interested to see if anyone can propose a cause and/or solution.
Well have you had it over one season? Did it die? Did the foliage ever start growing normal again, if so how long did it take to start growing normal again? I've never had a crabapple before so this will be the first year growing mine.. I hope it lasts a year..

MMJNICE

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a feeling this has to do with early growth in your greenhouse. It looks like some kind of fungal infection. Apples are susceptible to about a billion nasty fungal things, from fire blight, to leaf curl to powdery mildew (which can affect the condition of emerging leaves in humid conditions)...
You definitely could be right. I may or may not had it sitting next to a juniper for a couple of weeks before my brain kicked in to tell my hands to move it across the greenhouse. And to make things worse ,,,it may or may not have been sitting inches next to a cotoneaster until I thought about the family cotoneaster belongs too smh🤦🏾... I had a slight outbreak of black mold in my greenhouse around early March because it was definitely to moist in the greenhouse. I caught it super early tho. 60% of my tree's where already in leaf at the time so I was extremely lucky. So my thoughts would definitely lean towards that being the cause.. I learned a lot about the benefits and the disadvantages of over wintering tree's in a greenhouse this year.. so let's say it's a fungus infection.. would you have any advice on how best to treat it? I'm not overly concerned with the tree because I've only had it 6 months or so and I paid 40 bucks I think if that.. so if doing a re-pot is the correct course of action I'll roll the dice.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Interesting. I only have a couple dozen crabs, but never run into this sort of issue, short of trimming the roots too tight one year.

The leaves are telling a story of deficiency. It’s either its caused by a root thing, or by a fertilization issue. (Alternately it could be an overshading issue, but that’s a non starter unless the greenhouse was shade covered.)

Could maybe fungus, but only if the tree is in a funky media and/or it was overwatered. Yet you’ve sprayed fungicide so that seems a non starter, given the media and watering arent suspect.

If it’s in decent media and watering was light, then it’s a nutrition thing. If that sounds like the case… How about hitting it with Miracid right off? 1/2 strength each week for a couple weeks. It has both the nutrients and micronutrients the tree needs for a deficiency issue.

Just a thought.

Cheers
DSD sends

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not a chance..
It certainly looks like the trees I find along the railroad tracks that are sprayed with something, probably roundup. There is not much to confuse that growth with.

Where did the soil come from? The moss? The pot? Was the box opened in the mail? Etc etc .....

There is ALWAYS....a chance, however slight or hidden.

I've never used any pesticides or fungicides, never had any concern with "micronutrients", never really cared much about anything except giving trees the most natural conditions I could. Never had any problems.

Don't "bandaid" them.
Just ditch the greenhouse.

Sorce

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Well have you had it over one season? Did it die? Did the foliage ever start growing normal again, if so how long did it take to start growing normal again? I've never had a crabapple before so this will be the first year growing mine.. I hope it lasts a year..
That particular crab was seed grown and it had similar foliage every year. Lived quite a few years but never thrived. Pretty sure I don't have that one any more.
The small, twisted foliage looks very similar to glyphosate damage but chemical is not the only thing that can cause deformation. I know the one I had was not chemical induced either.

MMJNICE

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It certainly looks like the trees I find along the railroad tracks that are sprayed with something, probably roundup. There is not much to confuse that growth with.

Where did the soil come from? The moss? The pot? Was the box opened in the mail? Etc etc .....

There is ALWAYS....a chance, however slight or hidden.

I've never used any pesticides or fungicides, never had any concern with "micronutrients", never really cared much about anything except giving trees the most natural conditions I could. Never had any problems.

Don't "bandaid" them.
Just ditch the greenhouse.

Sorce
Ok are you trying to be Clever or is that just how you respond to questions on here? Is that a quote from yourself? I'm still getting the hang of the way this forum is formatted. The greenhouse was most likely the Culprit of the crime but considering that was the only casualty it was still worth getting almost a two month jump on the growing season. My tree's have been in leaf since early March.. over the next couple of years I'll decide for myself if the greenhouse works for me. But thanks for the advice. I understand a lot of people give advice from other's experiences, but I mostly give advice from my own personal Observances but your thoughts are noted and appreciated.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Early growth isn't necessarily beneficial.
With less sunlight, more leggy growth is likely, especially with them first set couple nodes you want to keep tight.

Pay close attention to the actual things you are achieving by changing natural habits.

I'm not sure what you mean by "clever", but vindictive neighbors and exes have been known to spray things. Sometimes even on accident.

Sorce

Top Bottom