Yard Juniper - Can it become a bonsai?

aarondl

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I have a type of low-growing juniper in my front yard that I want to move. It's in a space that I want to turn into an area to plant my smaller tress for growth. I originally planned to just dig it up and throw it away, but once I started sorting through the foliage, I noticed it had a decent trunk. So, now my options are to either dig it up as planned, fashion it into a yard bonsai, or dig it up and try to pot it. Any suggestions for which would be the best idea? If I were to fashion it into a yard bonsai style, any ideas on how I would proceed with that?

Here is the gallery.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
If your initial plan was to throw it out, then there's no loss in potting it up. If it lives, you can always plant it back into the ground later. If it dies, then you've learned a valuable lesson or two.
I don't see any downsides to this!

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
That is exactly the history of this procumbens. I dug it up, put it in a pot; played with it for a few years and viola!

2017-09-10-15-15-32-jpg.160329

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
The big problem with overgrown garden junipers is that they don't do well without foliage. They also seem to need leaves to stimulate root growth. Can you prune this tree back enough to dig and transplant and still leave some green foliage? The long, bare branches on this one look like a problem.
There are ways to solve this if the trunk really is good.

Top Bottom