Yaupon Holly-refine vs letting it grow, need suggestions.

dresdraconius

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Hello fine folks,

Just wanted to say a big Hi from Dallas(Zone 9a)

I was fortunate enough to find this beauty in walmart today. The trunk caught my eye. When I removed it from the pot, it appears that the roots have filled the pot completely. There was hardly any soil in the pot!

Now I'm left with 2 options.

Option A- Trim the roots to about 5 inches on all sides and put it in a real bonsai pot
Option B should I put it in a bigger pot to increase trunk growth.

Interested in knowing your thoughts. I really don't have much bonsai trees (started about 6 months ago) so I do find the thought of putting this in a small pot appealing.

Thanks for your time!
Sid

Attachments

• IMG-20200407-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20200407-WA0000.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG-20200407-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20200407-WA0001.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG-20200407-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20200407-WA0002.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 65

Maloghurst

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Welcome! To be honest both options you presented would be bad for this tree. There is some potential though.
A bigger pot would just make more of a mess of those roots and it’s definitely not ready for a bonsai pot.
It needs a drastic root pruning and top pruning and then development for at least 3-5 at least before thinking about a real pot. It might be too late to really work the roots in Dallas I’m not sure about timing.
I would reduce the roots by about 60-80% Somewhere above the purple line and place in a not too big container with good soil. At the same time I would prune the foliage to around the red line and build taper, ramification and movement in the branches with a final out line somewhere around the yellow line. I would do this in March and probably still get away with it now where I live in Seattle. I’m not sure about Dallas as far as timing. There might be other windows in April or May to do the cut backs and do the repotting next year. The repotting alone is going to take a good amount of learning to do properly as well.
Keep us updated!A04BE534-93F2-4690-864B-E3C59793D3CE.jpeg

Last edited:

dresdraconius

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
It is just starting to warm up here in 70's so I hope I'm not too late for root pruning.

Your advice sounds good. I will cut about about 70% roots and plant it in a medium size container.

I'm not comfortable with top pruning yet so I guess I will tackle that later (may-June-ish)

Thank you for the response.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
It is just starting to warm up here in 70's so I hope I'm not too late for root pruning.

Your advice sounds good. I will cut about about 70% roots and plant it in a medium size container.

I'm not comfortable with top pruning yet so I guess I will tackle that later (may-June-ish)

Thank you for the response.
I'd saw the bottom 50% off the root ball, hose off the exterior sides, and plant into a training pot... and I'd cut back as described above. You can do a more aggressive root reduction next year.

Dzhokar

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hey there! Wow, nice find, kinda jealous 😍.
I think I'd go with the more conservative recommendation and take about 50% of the roots off.
Then like you said, end of spring when new growth hardens off cut back and selectively remove unwanted main branches.

dresdraconius

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
@ Dzhokar,
I know! I couldn't believe it when I saw it in Walmart. I'm guessing it is probably 2-3 years old , kinda neglected. I will trim roots today and transplant into a bigger pot with better soil.

About the leaves and branches, it looks so lush and compact that I hate pruning it. But I guess I will have to do it sometime.

Thanks for the response.

dresdraconius

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I'd saw the bottom 50% off the root ball, hose off the exterior sides, and plant into a training pot... and I'd cut back as described above. You can do a more aggressive root reduction next year.

Certainly. Thank you for the response Dav4. I recently stumbled upon Bonsai and this forum has been so helpful!

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Suggestions -

[1] Prune for a basic shape

[2] Feed for 2 months. Observe. Show here.

[3] Get 3 to 5 lesser versions to practice on NOT the mother..

[4] Slowly, by the year remove about an inch from
the bottom. You can add back fresh soil to the sides
as the pots become wider and more shallow to match
the thickening trunk.
Good Day
Anthony

Good find, treat it with love.

dresdraconius

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Great suggestions, Thanks Anthony!

I'll post progress pics and keep you all updated.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

I'd be damndillinhammed if you can't Repot that after the summer Solstice.
Broadleaf Evergreens do fine like that.

Certainly prune to shape now, or you will be disappointed later.

Sorce

Top Bottom