Yew project

ChrisV

Shohin
Reaction score
Went to my good friend and bonsai sponsor to pick up some of my trees that were still at his nursery. One of them is this fat yew.
It's one of my projects for the upcoming years.
The plan is to let it grow alot of branches, reduce it in size carve a lot of deadwood and from there build up a monster bonsai .

Collage 2017-04-11 21_26_50.jpg

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Damn, looks like a beast! Could turn into one of those old picturesque English Yews!

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Wow thats a beast indeed
Nice one chris looking forward to see this progression!!

Reaction score
Big yews are not for wussies... I like this monster... update your upgrade whenever ready...

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Awesome trunk.

Just beware in case you arent.
Yews are toxic. Be careful around pets and kids. Also, if you do any carving, wear a mask and safety glasses

ChrisV

Shohin
Reaction score
Little update on the yew.
It's alot shorter now. The lower trunk was nice however halfway up, the trunk split into multiple trunks. This gave it a bad inreverse taper. So I decided to use only one trunk and make the tree out of that.
I transplanted on to some slabs too however the whole thing came down from it's stand during some bad weather so it's in a spare pot I had lying around.
Originally my idea was to make it a semi cascade but when putting it in the pot it kinda looked better more upright.
Still lots of work but it is growing strong and even back budding already.
I have new ideas about the composition and pot for the future, but more on that later.

IMG_20170727_154431_246.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Deadwood is kill!

That balance is just wonderful!

Sorce

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Just curious on your technique for the dead wood. It looks very natural.

Did you power carve it or did you tare the wood away to get the splintered look?

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Yew have done a great job - I think I would have had a few live veins on the right as well( my personal style). Looks great!

Bonsai_Jon

Sapling
Reaction score
Wow, great work!

I have a yew in my yard from the previous owner. He planted it in 1939. I cut it back and was hoping to one day dig it up for this purpose. now all i need is the balls to do it.

Tsukibibi

Seedling
Reaction score
Very good job. A very nice deadwood, we can see the fiber and I like it. I think, the best way to shap deadwood it's first using a powerfull tools and then using hands tools. Thanks for the sharing.

Top Bottom