Yixing Zisha Pots from "Bonsai Supplies" on Amazon

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I love yixing pots. They're my top pots, at this stage in the game. I always bought mine through bonsai specific websites though. never been dissapointed

Dana

Seedling
Reaction score
I only have one real good named pot.
The majority of my pots are hiding.
They stand up to the cold too.
In one of the videos of Nigel Saunders he shows a he made from an old baking tray ( metal) and to which he attaches claw feet. Looks great. I guess if one shows ones trees at Bonsai shows than the perfect pot is desirable. For us lesser mortals less expensive, DIY pots will always be attractive.

clevetromba

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This isn't anywhere close to outrageous. When you get the pot, and see how heavy it is, you'll most likely agree. Good Yixing pots are very heavy, and large ones are expensive to ship.
Well Judy, you were right.I did purchase one of the Yixing pots, and it is very heavy! It was funny though, by the time I got around to ordering it, they had changed the price to include shipping, so it was $85 with free shipping instead of $50 with $35 shipping. The pot isn't flawless, there is a small crack in one side, though it doesn't go through to the inside. Also, they used expanding foam packing material 20171012_181331.jpg
which leaked out of the bag on one side and stuck to the pot.20171012_181759.jpg I was able to scrub most of it off with acetone, but a few spots just wouldn't come off. In all, I'm reasonably happy with the pot. It won't be the final pot for the tree, but it will be a step up from the plywood box its in right now.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Well Judy, you were right.I did purchase one of the Yixing pots, and it is very heavy! It was funny though, by the time I got around to ordering it, they had changed the price to include shipping, so it was $85 with free shipping instead of $50 with $35 shipping. The pot isn't flawless, there is a small crack in one side, though it doesn't go through to the inside. Also, they used expanding foam packing material View attachment 163753
which leaked out of the bag on one side and stuck to the pot.View attachment 163754 I was able to scrub most of it off with acetone, but a few spots just wouldn't come off. In all, I'm reasonably happy with the pot. It won't be the final pot for the tree, but it will be a step up from the plywood box its in right now.

Thank you for posting your pics. I am currently dreaming ahead to spring and getting ready to order pots and soil. I agree it seems like there are many more small pots available than large. I will be looking into this seller and if anything having this info for comparison is very helpful. I hope you enjoy your new pot.

edit- upon further inspection the link is now a diff pot for $99 but I like the shape on this new one as well.

Last edited:

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I recently purchased two Yixing Zisha unglazed pots from takashima_bonsai via ebay, a 13.75 by 9.5 by 2 oval, and a 6.5 by 6.5 by 5 square, and was very pleased. One was $30, the other $28, and they combined shipping for $21. Extremely well packed, nicely made. No nicks, scratches, etc.

Waldo

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
You might want to take a look at the Ryan Neil interview of Bill Valvanis. Available on this site. They discuss what is happening on the national level with pots. They talk about a decline in the quality of Tokaname pots and the increase in the quality of Chinese pots that they have been seeing. I repair violins. There has been a major improvement in the quality of violins coming out of China as well.
I have just ordered two Yixing pots. I will post more about them as they arrive.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Beware the hike in shipping prices.
Everyone on Amazon used to charge considerably less.
Good Day
Anthony
You live at the ends of the earth! Your stuff has to be trans-shipped from the Falklands.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You might want to take a look at the Ryan Neil interview of Bill Valvanis. Available on this site. They discuss what is happening on the national level with pots. They talk about a decline in the quality of Tokaname pots and the increase in the quality of Chinese pots that they have been seeing. I repair violins. There has been a major improvement in the quality of violins coming out of China as well.
I have just ordered two Yixing pots. I will post more about them as they arrive.
maybe you could attach a link? Thanks!

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The price is very good for that size pot. Does anyone know what "
Ceramic Porous Zisha Bonsai Pot
means? Porous? Wait a minute: the $89 is for a 14" pot, a so-so price. $100 for 18" is a good price.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Been saying that for a while. I've got a few high end Chinese pots. The quality can be uneven, IMO. Some can spall, crack and over time, have problems with mineral leach through the pot wall. My big live oak has been in a very large Chinese pot for over 15 years. It's just now showing mineral leach stains. Some others have shown it within a few years.

The Japanese are buying the very high end Chinese pots because Japanese bonsai potters are dying off. That said, I just saw an older 14" x 12" or so very nice signed Japanese pot online for $138....so the prices for older imported Japanese pots CAN BE extremely competitive with the Chinese wares these days. Ya gotta look around.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I hear what ya'll are saying. I agree that the net price even with the outrageous shipping cost, is not too bad. IF... the pot is of decent quality. I won't need it until next Spring of course, so I'll wait for more replies to come in, and if anyone has alternate sources of large pots, please share! Why is it so hard to find large pots anyway? And why are there whole websites devoted to pots smaller than 6"?! Are that many people really into Shohin?
I have my first Shohin tree almost ready....almost. The tree requires some work yet and further root reduction. I have a good idea of where I’m going with it though. And....yes...I do have my one Shohin bonsai pot ready for when the tree is ready. I probably look mostly for pots in the medium size range. I have some larger Japanese pots from several years ago that I will never use.....those pots were from the time when I didn’t yet comprehend root pruning. Eventually I’ll find someone interested in the larger pots.

Top Bottom