You want your elms?

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Just came back from San Gabriel Nursery today and was overwhelmed with their pre-bonsai selection. I don't know how many elms they had in 5 gallon pots - easily 100. They had Wing Elms, Cork Elms, Caitlin Elms, and Seiju Elms, all for about $150 (5 gallon) or $70 (2 gallon). Here is an example of a 5 gallon tree:

elms1.jpg

They also had a lot of other pre-bonsai available. A decent number of black pines, some grafted white pines, lots of liquidambars, ginkgos, etc. Good time to visit if you are in the L.A. area.

elms2.jpg

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
In the first photo behind the cell phone toting elm I see a couple of chain gang trees. Or they are all "blinged" out. Either way you better be careful. That's a tough neighborhood.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
In the first photo behind the cell phone toting elm I see a couple of chain gang trees. Or they are all "blinged" out. Either way you better be careful. That's a tough neighborhood.

Unfortunately the nursery has had a problem in the past with theft. They chain their larger / more expensive trees. Once you visit you will understand why - the nursery is very large and the bonsai trees are set in the back with a lot of landscape trees all around. Not sure how, but apparently some people managed to walk out with a pine tucked under their coat :mad:

paddles

Yamadori
Reaction score
Unfortunately the nursery has had a problem in the past with theft. They chain their larger / more expensive trees. Once you visit you will understand why - the nursery is very large and the bonsai trees are set in the back with a lot of landscape trees all around. Not sure how, but apparently some people managed to walk out with a pine tucked under their coat :mad:

There is a nursery in Melbourne, has lot of large trees, one in particular, a 3-4ft black pine, in a large hand carved granite dish, approxx 1.5mtrs long 60cm wide? Must way a tonne, one morning staff came in to find the chains cut, and the tree (IN pot ) on the roof, Luckily they must have been disturbed. Tree recovered.

zelk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
nice elms, if i am ever in the LA area i will have to get one of those cork bark elms. i may consider just growing some in the ground if those results are attainable around 5 years. how old do you think those might be in the photos?

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
Hi BNut! I am just starting to go through all the old threads and finally got to here. This is a great nursery that I haven't been to in a long time. If any from South Orange County wants to car-pool (free ride) to check out this nursery one weekend, any weekend soon, please let me know. I hate to drive by myself that far.
Si

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Si I'm in if you will come to Massachusetts to pick me up.:D

Looks like a place to check out for sure.

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
Hey Si swing by Texas for me first!:D

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is an old thread and alot of that stuff is gone...but for those that wish to know, This is/was the nursery where it all began.

The heart of bonsai in SO CAL started right here at San Gabriel Nursery. 1949 to be exact. All the old guard taught here, Kahn Komai, Jim Barrett, John Naka and Melba Tucker

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I haven't realized that there is so much history behind this nursery.

Frank Nagata's daughter Kay, was married to Kahn Komai. Frank Nagata, the man who started the first bonsai club in California. Frank Nagata, along with newcomer, John Naka would go on to organize the first bonsai display in 1950 with Sam Doi and Morihei Furaya. The Occasion; The San Gabriel Valley Fall Flower and Garden Show.

The club started as the Southern California Bonsai Club. Later it became the California Bonsai Society. They celebrated 60 years this year.

Last edited:

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
Thanks for the history Smoke. I didn't know all that. When I started doing bonsai in 1994 in California, I used to go to this nursery all the time. At the time, they had the best material at very reasonable prices. Over the years, they got really expensive (at least to me), and I stopped coming back. It's about time for another trip there for me though, I guess before they changed or closed for good. There's a really good Chinese rock shop right next door too. I got some really good suiseki there once. Good authentic Chinese food up that way too. The Huntington Library and Garden and the Golden State Bonsai Federation South Bonsai Collection is right next there too. Sounds like a day trip!

Irene and BillS, I will be right over to pick you up, as long as you have no problem riding in a van with a NOBAMA sticker.:D

Mac, I don't think they ship. They are old school. I would be happy to send you a tree or two though, if I find a good deal there. I am good at finding deals. I wouldn't even mark it up one cent. No string attached. I'll post some pics after I check it out, maybe this weekend. I got the urge for a long nursery crawl.
Si

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
Nobama is fine by me as well!!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Mac, I don't think they ship. They are old school. I would be happy to send you a tree or two though, if I find a good deal there. I am good at finding deals. I wouldn't even mark it up one cent. No string attached. I'll post some pics after I check it out, maybe this weekend. I got the urge for a long nursery crawl.
Si

Sounds interesting. I look forward to seeing the pictures.
Mac

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
Post the pics so we can see as well!!!
I love long slow nursery crawls!!!!!

ianb

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Irene and BillS, I will be right over to pick you up, as long as you have no problem riding in a van with a NOBAMA sticker.:D

Si

Geez Si, you really don't want me to come huh:D:D:D Maybe I can meet you there.;)

Then I can I wear my new T-shirt:

Attachments

• tshirt.jpg
    tshirt.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 72
Top Bottom