Your spring trimmings !!! Many Species

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
You get 10 miles north of Bangor and its like you traveled to a different continent. I was down in Portland last week and it seemed like early summer more than winter when up in the county we're about to get another blizzard and down to -6 this weekend yet again.

Augusta huh. Maybe we'll have to get together this summer and shoot the breeze about bonsai. We do a lot of cook-outs over the summer if you ever want to make the drive up to the county, or i get down to August a few times a year over the summer.

Edit: also, if your looking for JM's we can hook you up this summer, we have thousands of them. Bloodgood, Orange Dream, Arikawa, LaceLeaf, etc. Also Tridents and Amur.
Oh EF yes are the jm's grafted? There's a few of us down this way. We have a some big larch and hornbeam digs coming up soon too if your interested, sounds like you got your hands full but free trees is free trees, especially deecent ones for what we have at our disposal around here. And yeah we're getting single digit snaps here this weekend, time to shuffle the trees that couldn't wait a few more weeks to start pushing

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
I would so trade for some hornbeam!
They're on the smaller side but growing in clumps. Perhaps the were cut when it was cleared 8-9 years ago, so maybe there will be some gnarly bases. It's been snow covered since I found it on my buddies property. So spring will tell

Reaction score
Oh EF yes are the jm's grafted? There's a few of us down this way. We have a some big larch and hornbeam digs coming up soon too if your interested, sounds like you got your hands full but free trees is free trees, especially deecent ones for what we have at our disposal around here. And yeah we're getting single digit snaps here this weekend, time to shuffle the trees that couldn't wait a few more weeks to start pushing

Get in touch this june/july and we'll get you hooked up with some JM's, you can come on up and pick some out, you can bring some friends if they want some too. If you all volunteer a few hours of labor for the garden project helping with things like bench building, transplanting, watering, wiring, etc we will send you home with more than enough JM's to make it worth your while.

We do have some grafted JM's but not many yet, thousands of trees you can graft with though.

Thanks for the invite for the dig, we have a ton of hornbeam already and are not quite ready for larch. If you guys like road trips, there are a ton of JM's growing wild up in the county outside of Houlton. You can see them driving in on hwy 2 coming out of Lincoln all the way up to Houlton. We collected some with 4" trunks last year right off the road side (with the owners permissions of course)

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
If you all volunteer a few hours of labor for the garden project helping with things like bench building, transplanting, watering, wiring, etc

JM's growing wild up in the county outside of Houlton.)
um yeah woody. You say when. We can come up sooner and help anytime for some fresh digs, you bet man. And jm's that far north? That's crazy, maybe a 2 birds one stone trip mid April/early may

Reaction score
um yeah woody. You say when. We can come up sooner and help anytime for some fresh digs, you bet man. And jm's that far north? That's crazy, maybe a 2 birds one stone trip mid April/early may

We had to wait until Mid-May last year to get the Yamadori JM's, and even then we were still looking for tree tops to indicate where to dig in the snow to get to the base's It will be probably June this year before all the ground is clear of snow.

Everywhere you look says that this far north is zone 4, but after a decade of recording temps, wind, precipitation, it is hardly. Where our garden is has its own micro climate which is listed zone 5 but with our ground level sensors which get covered in feet of snow I have not seen temps below zone 6 yet. Hardiness zones are kind of an irrelevant thing up here when it comes to trees. You'd be amazed how much insulation 10 - 20 foot of snow provides. I accidentally left 3 lemon trees in 5 gallon pots outdoors last winter, was sure they were gonners with the 15 foot of snow and weeks of sub zero temps. Imagine my surprise in June to find they all 3 made it with less than 5% die off.

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
We had to wait until Mid-May last year to get the Yamadori JM's,

Everywhere you look says that this far north is zone 4, Hardiness zones are kind of an irrelevant thing up here when it comes to trees.
you say when and we'll be there. Most of my stuffs leafed out by may down here. I dig in mass about 2 weeks before maine too. That let me do all my chores and the catch yours right after.

Reaction score
you say when and we'll be there. Most of my stuffs leafed out by may down here. I dig in mass about 2 weeks before maine too. That let me do all my chores and the catch yours right after.

For sure, we'll be in touch. You can also get hemlock , Atlantic white cedar, black gum, creeping juniper & dogwood with ease up here. We have bonsaied most of those with good results. We also have Shimpaku Juniper in mass supply, our entire dooryard is filled with them, some we planted over 20 years ago that you could take lots of cuttings from, We have rooted some as late as August as long as you put them in an enclosed area for winter such as a garage. We had a group from Georgia come up for a month last summer and left with truckloads of Yamadori. It helped we had 10 acres of forest to clear still for the garden and there was a lot of good material on just that alone.

Let us know how many bodies you can round up, and we'll put word out in May for other New-Englanders and maybe we can make a group event of it. We own around 800 Acres down in Penobscot County to hunt for material and we have permission and access to over 2,000 acres in Aroostook county on top of our 50 acres in the county. Might turn it into a weekend deal, not just to get a bunch of great stock, but to also spread word about the art of bonsai which is what we are really all about. Educating people that bonsai are not the things you buy at Kiosk's, are told to keep indoors, and die so you have to buy more. Our whole garden project is about sharing Bonsai's history, showing bonsai as an art form, and raising awareness of the art. "hortisculpture" as someone once put in on the forum here.

Nwaite

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have not logged on in weeks and this is about the best thing I could have logged on and seen! I'm getting so f ing pumped for spring.
Really glad to be meeting some local folks on here.

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sounds like a great project! I am a grunt who loves the woods, so send out the call when you think you'll need extra help. Me and my lady can come down for some camping, and meeting some good bonsai folks.

Reaction score
Ok, weekly update time. New List time.

NOW LOOKING FOR:

Juniper

Kishu, & Itoigawa

Pine

Japanese Black, Japanese Red, Japanese White, and respective cultivars

Redwood

Dawn, Coastal (sequoia)

Big thanks again to @JoeR & @parhamr for their contributions this year, we got a jump start on Kishu thanks to Joe, and managed 1,300 Hinoki Cypress cuttings started just in time thanks to Parhamr

With spring fast approaching we only have about 3-4 more weeks to get our Japanese pines & Redwoods started so if anyone has access please let me know ASAP, I'm heading to the 3rd coast next week for another specimen buying trip from Monday - Friday, but I check the forum several times a day for replies and messages.

Thanks,

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Woody Carverton how about Coastal Redwood plugs for $0.54 each in units of 100? Weyerhaeuser has them available at their Aurora, OR nursery and I could pick them up on March 11. They tend to be superior genetics, super healthy, and about 12" tall. They make rooted cuttings, so the roots are gorgeous.

> 1300 Hinoki cuttings

Holy crap! I'm proud :D

Last edited:
Reaction score
@Woody Carverton how about Coastal Redwood plugs for less than $1 each in units of 100? Weyerhaeuser has them available at their Aurora, OR nursery and I could pick them up on March 11. They tend to be superior genetics, super healthy, and about 12" tall. They make rooted cuttings, so the roots are gorgeous.

> 1300 Hinoki cuttings

Holy crap! I'm proud :D

With freight at that cost and the quantity we need I am not sure that will be feasible this season. I've spent nearly $30,000 in the past 3 weeks buying specimens and have to make every dollar count moving forward this year. We were hoping to find someone who had some trees growing close to them that could saw off a few branches like you did for the Hinoki's & Mugo's.

You should be proud, you did us a huge favor with those Hinoki's and i was shocked as heck to come home to 1,300 cuttings. Its hard to believe it all fit in that box. I thought for sure i was going to have to contact you to get another box or two to make 1,000. We will for sure be in contact for more Hinoki's this same time next year.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
You guys interested in quince cuttings? (Red chojubai) Send a couple back in barter if they root or something... About to have a generous amount whenever I get after them this spring. I don't have a good set up for cuttings and hate throwing them all away every year. Last year i rooted exactly 1 out of God knows how many.

Reaction score
You guys interested in quince cuttings? (Red chojubai) Send a couple back in barter if they root or something... About to have a generous amount whenever I get after them this spring. I don't have a good set up for cuttings and hate throwing them all away every year. Last year i rooted exactly 1 out of God knows how many.

We are, it's just not the right time of year here yet to propagate them. More like the first week of April here is when they need to be stuck, looking at the 30 day forecast it may even be the second week of April this year. If you cut around that time and ship them to us we will defiantly ship you back some rooted cuttings when they go dormant in late fall. Just message me around April 1st and we'll work it out. Anytime between April 1st & May 5th usually works for quince cuttings so you will have a wide window to cut.

Reaction score
How about foemina?
Did anyone send any of those?

Nope, but we would be interested depending on how much material you can get. I almost picked some up in Colorado 2 weeks ago but it wasn't enough to justify the propagation space. Let us know how much you can get.

Reaction score
Another update, thanks to a member who wishes to remain anonymous. We're all stocked up on Pines.

Now Looking For:

Juniper

Kishu, & Itoigawa (in dire need of cuttings of these, Interested in any and all cuttings) 10-10,000

Redwood

Dawn,

Cedar

Cryptomeria (Japanese Red), & Atlas

I cannot stress how bad we are in need of more Kishu & Itoigawa. Even if you don't have any yourself, PLEASE keep your eye out for people who do and are cutting branches this season. We need to make about 10,000 cuttings of each.

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here's what I think is Hollywood Juniper

IMG_0535.JPG

It's not nearly as nice as Shimpaku. I'm going to try my luck producing cuttings from it (and then I'll probably do the same from a nursery shimpaku).

Top Bottom