Your thoughts on winter "maintenance" pruning as a space-saving solution?

August

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Arbormancy Amatuer Welcome! Lots of Denver members here, you’ll fit right in :)
Thank you! It's about time I joined our local club, I always remember like the day after meetings haha.

I wonder what it is about our dry, hot, and otherwise inclement climate that makes folks rise to the challenge of keeping trees in pots alive 😂 it worked on me, though I look at zone 8-9 states with a deep green envy

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thank you! It's about time I joined our local club, I always remember like the day after meetings haha.

I wonder what it is about our dry, hot, and otherwise inclement climate that makes folks rise to the challenge of keeping trees in pots alive 😂 it worked on me, though I look at zone 8-9 states with a deep green envy

Yes the Rocky Mountain Bonsai Society is a great community and resource. I highly encourage you to join!

I understand your “zone envy” but just keep in mind that our climate is perfect for many of the iconic native North American species including Rocky Mountain Juniper, Ponderosa Pine, Colorado Blue Spruce, Douglas Fir, Englemann Spruce, Limber Pine, among many others! Can’t grow those in Zone 9 ;)

August

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm much too new to mess around with conifers, at least in my opinion, but I am looking forward to trying juniper next year!

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I wonder what it is about our dry, hot, and otherwise inclement climate that makes folks rise to the challenge of keeping trees in pots alive
It's because there isn't a person in the state that hasn't noticed an impossible tree while trying not to drive themselves off cliff on one of these nutty roads.
I hadn't really even thought about bonsai in at least a decade when my oldest daughter points out a tree one day and says, "I love that tree! I wish I could take it home." Next thing I know I'm marathoning Peter Chan videos.

August

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's because there isn't a person in the state that hasn't noticed an impossible tree while trying not to drive themselves off cliff on one of these nutty roads.
I think you figured it out. I remember my first few hikes this summer after getting into the hobby. Tiny stunted sumacs I would have never noticed before suddenly looked godly to me! Maybe it's some residual pioneer spirit, too, because we also seem to have a rather high number of vegetable gardeners (for a state whose sun is too hot for tomato plants), and also a fair amount of houseplant enthusiasts trying to keep tropicals alive in a high altitude desert. I, unfortunately, am all three ;)

August

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I appreciate all the responses to the thread, I feel affirmed that I'm doing okay for my first winter, and have some ideas for a more natural set up once I have the capability. Here's some pics for context that I should have posted ages ago! Also forgot to mention my datura that has been with me for going on three winters. I have resigned myself to it's eventual death (zone 7 or 8, short-lived species) and so am not as concerned as the others mentioned.

Attachments

• PXL_20221029_174703617.jpg
    PXL_20221029_174703617.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 8
  • PXL_20221029_174716197.MP.jpg
    PXL_20221029_174716197.MP.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 8

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think you figured it out. I remember my first few hikes this summer after getting into the hobby. Tiny stunted sumacs I would have never noticed before suddenly looked godly to me! Maybe it's some residual pioneer spirit, too, because we also seem to have a rather high number of vegetable gardeners (for a state whose sun is too hot for tomato plants), and also a fair amount of houseplant enthusiasts trying to keep tropicals alive in a high altitude desert. I, unfortunately, am all three ;)
You and me both!
Can't imagine a better way to be happy.

Top Bottom