Zelcova forest from seed

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Winter boredom post.... these are 2 yo seedlings I placed on this stone last year. I've got a couple more growing larger in pots to add to this down the road. Whatcha think?
20200110_150318.jpg20200110_150329.jpg15786869176417542001206789396180.jpg

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Just seeing this thread for the first time today. This is off to a nice start!

I love that stone. Is it a stone you found or is it a man-made stone? In either case, it's a great shape to be able to keep a bit more substrate in but still looks natural.

You've shown a few different angles, which all have interest. What do you think the front of this composition is?

DirkvanDreven

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Zelkova are fun! I started a group about ten years ago, planted in my garden on a tile.
Trucks/roots are fused by now. Takes time! In your rock your trees will probably not grow fast and big enough to fuse!
Have fun with your project!

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I love that stone. Is it a stone you found or is it a man-made stone? In either case, it's a great shape to be able to keep a bit more substrate in but still looks natural.

You've shown a few different angles, which all have interest. What do you think the front of this composition is?

Thanks for looking. It's a natural stone i bought from a club member. This pic was my front as designed but I think it needs to be turned a bit when I repot. This is from today.
20210904_104543.jpg

Eric Schrader

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Nice variation in sizing and nice placement. You might try harder pruning to get the branching dividing more at a lower level unless you want the forest to be even taller than it is now? Keep in mind that cuts even as small as 1/4" across can cause reverse taper - the technique for preventing it (which I have never tried...) is to wrap the cut site in grafting tape or something similar so that it can't swell outward.

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
@Eric Schrader , thank you for the input. I was thinking for this kind to be the rough canopy or at least into secondary branching for the #1 tree. I'll cut back the others a few inches below this line after this season. Screenshot_20210904-114802_Photos.jpg

czaczaja

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd love to see the progress on this.

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks for asking, unfortunately I've not given this one much attention and the leaning trunk out to the right died over the winter. I've got several other seedlings going so I can add a few next year. Pic from today.
View attachment 492832

I like the spacing on that composition. It's uneven in a way that feels very natural. If this were my composition, I'd keep the trees straight and tall, and I'd get to work ramifying the branches for a slender, feminine composition. That's not a look you see too often, and I feel it's underappreciated.

Top Bottom