Zelkova from Cuttings

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5/6
The best secucess with zelkova is on a heatpad at 75f with a dome on a 10x20 tray.
One small t5 flourescent……either stonewool or jiffy pellets………hormex powder/clonex gel/dip &grow all work good….about 11 days till root.

The secret is take the semi ripe cuttings (late spring) or when shoots are past the succulent phase and before they turn to wood….

ALSO TAKE THE CUTTING AT THE VERY END OF THE LIGHT CYCLE AS THEY ARE FULL OF PHOTOSYNTHETIC ENERGY……..This energy depletes to the trunk and roots quickly when the lights are off and if you wait till morning.

This will make rooting 50% quicker.
Ty for amazing advice truly. I got for xmas/holiday a 24 unit viagrow clone machine so wondered if that would work too. It's able use stonewool with platic airoponic baskets or neoprene insterts. I figured cuttings from winter dormant zelkova serrata wouldn't be good to try so hopefully in spring summer I can of my variegated goshiki cultivar. Ik not everyone's ascetic preference but thought a couple bonsai woth them might be neat .

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ty for amazing advice truly. I got for xmas/holiday a 24 unit viagrow clone machine so wondered if that would work too. It's able use stonewool with platic airoponic baskets or neoprene insterts. I figured cuttings from winter dormant zelkova serrata wouldn't be good to try so hopefully in spring summer I can of my variegated goshiki cultivar. Ik not everyone's ascetic preference but thought a couple bonsai woth them might be neat .
The aeroponic neoprene things will work especially on is a zelkova. I did it before.

Take a look at it at this thread from the beginning, little mini airlayers, in neoprene Inserts in aeroponics

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5/6
The aeroponic neoprene things will work especially on is a zelkova. I did it before.

Take a look at it at this thread from the beginning, little mini airlayers, in neoprene Inserts in aeroponics
Awesome inreally truly apreciate you taking time to respond to my questions. One thing I find so great about our forums here is the community. Very much different then Facebook or others. Have you every tried winter dormant wood or is thst a myth . I saw a post on Facebook but was a single outdated post so figured I'd ask thoughts here since definitely active and great people with knowledge. Thank you bte for the link too.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Awesome inreally truly apreciate you taking time to respond to my questions. One thing I find so great about our forums here is the community. Very much different then Facebook or others. Have you every tried winter dormant wood or is thst a myth . I saw a post on Facebook but was a single outdated post so figured I'd ask thoughts here since definitely active and great people with knowledge. Thank you bte for the link too.
I have no experience whatsoever with doormant hardwood cuttings

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I remember planting cuts (5 mm, 1/4 inch) of Zelkova serrata in a pot, in february one year. I left them unattended in a shaded corner, and they rooted.

I have a Zelkova sinense,1m80, 6 feet in a pot, will try it again.

johnbaz

Mame
Reaction score
Wow!

What a great thread!!

Back in 2013 I was given this Zelkova group on Tufa rocks, Through the years a few died so I bought seeds from Ebay, None seemed to germinate, Couldn't leave negative feedback as it was too late!
Anyhow, In 2020 I was giving the trees a haircut as it was getting a bit wild and I decided to put the cuttings in a small jar of water, I couldn't believe it when they actually started to root!!, I thought I may have planted them too early as they only had specs of white at the bottom but they grew, The leaves became massive at over 2" compared to the 3/4"-1" on the parent plants!!
0QDRxin.jpg

The white bits were a little larger by the time I planted them!
p5sglLE.jpg
hx7fLRC.jpg

Huge leaves!
EbPeEvz.jpg

The leaves on the parent plant!
8G4S0ii.jpg

It's strange how they colour differently in autumn! By the way, The wind blew over a 10' length of 2x4", It smashed the original dish in to around five or six pieces!
JyF4sF5.jpg

John..

Top Bottom