Woocash

Omono
Reaction score

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Very nice. I rarely seem to see many formal brooms and I am intrigued. Is this a good idea for a collected “beanpole” or is it only really best to start from younger stock or nursery stock?
Really nice Walter. Do you know if this was field grown at any point? Or mostly container grown?

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Really nice Walter. Do you know if this was field grown at any point? Or mostly container grown?

This was always in a bonsai pot. It is older than one thinks and these as prepared raw material are VERY expesnive (close to 2 grand a piece). It is probabyl near impossible to make this strict quality from a collected tree, I think.

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Noob question: is formal upright the preferred style for zelkova? Most professional level trees that I see have trunks going straight up.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Because the purpose of this site is an educational/discussion creature, I would like to discuss placement of trees in pots here. To wit:

The conventional wisdom is to shift a tree to one side or the other in an oval pot, preferably the left side. While I can see the need and wisdom of that in a tree that is not equilateral, it looks funny here, especially the shifted left view. It has been recently repotted and now that the canopy is smaller it works badly. Earlier, when the tree had a canopy that overhung the pot, which it is not supposed to do, it looked fine.

All of my trees overhang the edges of the pot, if for no other reason than to make the pot look smaller in comparison. And, they are all about in the center of the pot unless they are not equilateral in which case they are shifted to center the canopy over the pot. Tell me I'm wrong.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
great tree.
inspiring me to not hardcut my kousa dogwood because of multiple top branches, reverse taper...maybe ill see how it goes and keep something down low
just in case i want to down the line.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Red is a difficult colour to make for ceramics.

It's a very "nice" pot in the sense that it is "a kind of a rare pot".

Does it look nice ? Well, it's OK.

But I think it doesn't fit the tree at all. It's not even "kitsch", it's bad taste. I think the tree is wasted by this totally anedequate pot. Sorry for my sincerity Walter, but that's what I think. Nice pot, nice tree, but the two together is to me a complete no-no... 😢

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Red is a difficult colour to make for ceramics.

It's a very "nice" pot in the sense that it is "a kind of a rare pot".

Does it look nice ? Well, it's OK.

But I think it doesn't fit the tree at all. It's not even "kitsch", it's bad taste. I think the tree is wasted by this totally anedequate pot. Sorry for my sincerity Walter, but that's what I think. Nice pot, nice tree, but the two together is to me a complete no-no... 😢
Dang....I was trying to be nice...😆

Top Bottom