ZombieNick's 2020-2025 Five Year Azalea Contest Entry

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Spring is here and your azalea could be blooming (depending on your location) or starting to leaf out with this season’s flush……it’s time for updates!

I would also like to add at this time we have 3 prizes to award. Many thanks to @Forsoothe! and @Deep Sea Diver for donating. I am also donating a prize as well.

If you are no longer interested in continuing in the Azalea Contest, please let me know so we can close your thread, thanks.

ZombieNick

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Spring is here and your azalea could be blooming (depending on your location) or starting to leaf out with this season’s flush……it’s time for updates!

I would also like to add at this time we have 3 prizes to award. Many thanks to @Forsoothe! and @Deep Sea Diver for donating. I am also donating a prize as well.

If you are no longer interested in continuing in the Azalea Contest, please let me know so we can close your thread, thanks.

I will try again this year with an azalea I purchased a couple weeks after I picked up my failed entry, from the same nursery. I haven't touched it yet other than to water it. I hope to try another big chop like I did last time and would love to hear some recommendations from someone who is a little more knowledgeable than me.

This time I will make sure I have a set space with proper shade to get through those hot months. I am also starting much earlier in hopes I will get some good growth before the killer August heats. As for the roots, I was able to pick up a bag of Kanuma with this project in mind (I also have Akadama, Pumice and Lava to mix if needed). What is the best way to get this out of the nursery soil? Should I do this before the chop or after (can I do it at the same time)? I have read a little on this forum about half bare root techniques and was wondering if anyone can speak on this or what has worked for you when transferring to proper bonsai soil.

1617821689688.png1617821724096.png1617821740205.png1617821762096.png1617821777894.png1617821822288.png1617822109264.png

ZombieNick

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I am long overdue for updates, so this may take a few posts. First, I performed the big chop on April 11th, shortly after my last post. And by big chop I mean, many small chops:

1628891333123.png1628891784100.png1628891368088.png1628891859372.png

This one was harder for me than the last one and I really struggled to find the trunk line. I chopped and I chopped until something started to emerge:
1628891555258.png1628891689359.png1628892436231.png1628892499271.png

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Wow...!

Now that's a cutback! Glad to see you sealed those cuts.

Interested to see what things look like in a couple months.

cheers
DSD sends

ZombieNick

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
This guy was also slow to bud, but it eventually started to show signs of life about a month later. Here it is on May 21:
1628898885096.png1628898896698.png

Fast forward to today (actually yesterday, August 12th):

1628899114794.png1628899162971.png

After the slow start, it really started taking off in June and July. Unfortunately, most of the growth is on two undesirable shoots coming out of the "armpit" (you can see them in the first photo). I cut one today to help encourage some of these inner buds, but I am cautious of taking too much off right now with the roughest part of summer approaching:

1628899365721.png1628899714755.png

There is some browning on the tips of some of the leaves. I am unsure if this is due to the heavy fertilization I gave it last month, pests, or just the normal wear and tear from our dry winds. I gave them a good spray and reduced the fertilizer just to be safe.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hmm…. Here’s a thought. Cut off the fertilizer totally fog now and mist whenever you can on both trunks and ease up in the watering.

Here’s the set up I use for misting or watering… all brass quick release and shut off.

image.jpg

The leaf burn is likely fertilizer burn. Young leaves are very susceptible to it. Azaleas They are also susceptible to desiccation, thus the misting recommendation.

Azaleas in this state do not use much water at all and don’t need fertilization. Overwatering the pot will cause the leaves to look like that too, but usually it’s more prevalent. Keep the soil moist not wet.

I know lots of people have posted severe cutbacks like you did. It works… sometimes, Especially if it’s done in early spring time.

However it’s my experience that one will get a faster and stronger response if a branch that you want to keep is cut back to leave green growth on the end. It worksall the time. This action promotes rapid back budding. Once this occurs and begins to leaf out strongly (a branchlet forms), one can move downward and cut more… and more as needed. I actually like to wait a bit to ensure maximum budding and for branchlets to form. Others may disagree. Yet that’s my experience in doing over 50 cutbacks this year. Some in pots, some in the ground.

Here’s-an example. The branch on this Secchu no Matsu is too long and bare with growth near the end. The look an azalea has that hasn’t been pruned back at that point for years. After flowering it was cutback to the green growth closest to the trunk, removing two inches. The remaining two growth tips were cut back on the end to stop the growth.

This technique results in keeping the sap flow through the branch, while pushing the growth back to activate the dormant bud points. See photos.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Once this inner growth flushes out, I’ll cutback further to bring the branch in line with the profile….

Cheers
DSD sends

Last edited:

ZombieNick

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Hmm…. Here’s a thought. Cut off the fertilizer totally fog now and mist whenever you can on both trunks and ease up in the watering.

The leaf burn is likely fertilizer burn. Young leaves are very susceptible to it. Azaleas They are also susceptible to desiccation, thus the misting recommendation.

Azaleas in this state do not use much water at all and don’t need fertilization. Overwatering the pot will cause the leaves to look like that too, but usually it’s more prevalent. Keep the soil moist not wet.

I know lots of people have posted severe cutbacks like you did. It works… sometimes, Especially if it’s done in early spring time.

However it’s my experience that one will get a faster and stronger response if a branch that you want to keep is cut back to leave green growth on the end. It worksall the time. This action promotes rapid back budding. Once this occurs and begins to leaf out strongly (a branchlet forms), one can move downward and cut more… and more as needed. I actually like to wait a bit to ensure maximum budding and for branchlets to form. Others may disagree. Yet that’s my experience in doing over 50 cutbacks this year. Some in pots, some in the ground.

Here’s-an example. The branch on this Secchu no Matsu is too long and bare with growth near the end. The look an azalea has that hasn’t been pruned back at that point for years. After flowering it was cutback to the green growth closest to the trunk, removing two inches. The remaining two growth tips were cut back on the end to stop the growth.

This technique results in keeping the sap flow through the branch, while pushing the growth back to activate the dormant bud points. See photos.

Once this inner growth flushes out, I’ll cutback further to bring the branch in line with the profile….

Cheers
DSD sends

Thank you for this response, I really appreciate the advice. As you can probably tell, I am new at this and struggling. You are correct in the assumption that I am following others, along with YouTube videos, of people doing similar things. My own experience (failures) tells me this isn't the most successful way to reduce azaleas here. I will remove as much of the slow release fert as I can and start misting it a few times a day. I have already cut back on watering as I suspected that overwatering was partly to blame. Any suggestions for next year when I attempt the root work (assuming it's healthy)?

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Ok…. First wait until your growth is robust. If it’s weak, wait until later.

To answer an earlier question be sure remove ALL of the media you have then use a media suitable for your area.

I use about 90/10 kanuma/pumice here, but that won’t work in Orange County. I’d check with a local store like San Gabriel Nursery (Richard Ota used to work there) or Kimura Bonsai about what media they recommend for your area.

As far as root washing to remove the old media goes it’s a pretty simple, albeit tedious, process (try doing 30 like we did last spring 😉).

Get all supplies ready.

Take azalea out of pot, remove the bottom 1/3 off the root ball.

Gently chopstick as much media off the roots yams possible.

Next water wash ALL the remaining soil out off the roots. I use a chopstick, water wand and tray filled with water to help.

98FF9069-1D61-4F2A-8AD7-8C0A82E2D0A4.jpeg
9EF82509-840C-414F-8EF0-1DAEA4B2161F.jpeg7F079C50-6193-4813-ABE6-ACA7709D9B5C.jpeg

Follow normal potting routine. Ensure the tree is set on an interesting angle. Wire down gently.

Hope that helps. Feel free to PM me if you have other azalea questions down the road.

Cheers
DSD sends

Last edited:

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Wow! That’s an amazing sight!
Is that all one leaf cluster?
Can you take some side images?
cheers
DSD sends

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
That's odd indeed. I wonder if it is the stress that made it do this.

You got a lot of buds, so this plant was really healthy. It also looked very healthy before the prune. But the new growth is very tender. And you have an unshaded plant with thin bark. The tender leaves lose a lot of moisture. It is tricky to do such a chop in summer-like weather. Shade, misting, cool spot, no wind that dries it out, etc.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Very interesting. You’ve either got a virus or spontaneous mutation in that branch. In any event, it’s sucking all the nutrients out of that section of the tree. If cut that stem back to the base… and any others like this.

Also it seems there is quite a bit of dead growth about the tree and some on the media. Recommend you get some scissors and clean up dead growth, which promotes disease.

Finally, it’s time to thin the herd. See what’s left and trim off about 1/2 of what you obviously don’t need, ensuring each branch stub has at least a couple shoots on it.

Cheers
DSD sends

ZombieNick

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Very interesting. You’ve either got a virus or spontaneous mutation in that branch. In any event, it’s sucking all the nutrients out of that section of the tree. If cut that stem back to the base… and any others like this.

Also it seems there is quite a bit of dead growth about the tree and some on the media. Recommend you get some scissors and clean up dead growth, which promotes disease.

Finally, it’s time to thin the herd. See what’s left and trim off about 1/2 of what you obviously don’t need, ensuring each branch stub has at least a couple shoots on it.

Cheers
DSD sends
I think you were right, it definitely had some type of infection. Even after cutting the bad growth and the dead tips, it continued to wilt. It still threw new growth and definitely was trying to hang on, but I wasn't able to stop the wilting and eventually it died.

Since I originally started this thread I have been able to get more involved in my local bonsai community and beyond regularly attending club meetings, I was able to find an amazing teacher that I am now taking classes from. So, good news is, I am not giving up yet and will try again next year with some proper guidance. Bad news is, it's a little late for this contest, so I am throwing in the towel.

Thanks to everyone who offered advice and good luck to the rest of you!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
https://www.cactus-art.biz/note-book/Dictionary/Dictionary_C/dictionary_cristation.htm

fukushima-flower.jpg

ZombieNick

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Right, I mentioned the fasciation in my previous post. The issue I have is that every resource I have found lists a million different reasons why this could occur, and as is the case of this tree, there have been MANY mistakes that could have caused it. My best guess is still stress due to a disease, as the wilting was much different than what I see from just normal heat/wind damage and it continued even in a shaded greenhouse.

Top Bottom