Bamboo chopsticks

johnl445

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It’ll be difficult for me to source thick walled Bamboo to make chopsticks. Is there any other type of material that would be similar in hardness to timber Bamboo. Maybe oak or maple?

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
It’ll be difficult for me to source thick walled Bamboo to make chopsticks. Is there any other type of material that would be similar in hardness to timber Bamboo. Maybe oak or maple?
How thick are you looking for?
Cheap Chinese takeout chopsticks work decently also.

johnl445

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I’ve been watching Ryan at Mirai make some bonsai bamboo chopsticks, and I like the length of the chopsticks he’s making, and a little bit of thickness for ergonomics in my hand.

I was thinking I could easily find oak dowels at Home Depot and just cut them to length it’s definitely a hardwood

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I got timber bamboo from Home Depot online delivered to the store.

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Are you against steel or titanium chopsticks? I haven't used bamboo chopsticks in decades...
I have some titanium chopsticks. They’re great for loosening soil, but they don’t compare to the bamboo wedge cut ones for working the soil in. The tapered shape of the tip and the girth of them is faster and more effective in my (limited, low skill) experience.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I usually use stainless chopsticks but I grab what ever is on hand. Wood chops from restaurant, dowels, small bamboo stakes etc. The all work fine. I think this is overthought and it is more about how they are used than what is used and for what process they are used for.

johnl445

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b

I watched this video yesterday, and I like how these guys were using chopsticks, and then re-sharpening them. what I read was, sharp chopstick do less damage to the roots ,cause it creates a cleaner cut.

@PonderingSage: thanks for the tip. I never thought of that, that piece of bamboo is enough for a lifetime of chopsticks.

Gaitano

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I bit the bullet and ordered a bamboo round from Mirai. The thickness is perfect and I made 12-13 varying sized chopsticks from one quarter of the round. The length is great and the strength is perfect for sustained use. After a few trees I took the tip to my sander and resharpened them up for the next round.
IMG_9330.jpeg IMG_9331.jpeg IMG_9335.jpeg

Top Bottom