Bamboo Bonsai

when it's planted at the property line and the person on the other side didn't know what was happening...

I am curious about what is exactly the damage, does it kill the other plants?
There is a line of old bamboos dividing my father's property from the neighbors for more than 20 years, and apart from hosting snakes, up to now the lawn and fruiting trees don't seem to mind the bamboo very much. Yes, he chops the new shoots but nothing more than that.
🤔

It's the running kind that sends stolons out far and wide growing into other beds, lawns, cracks in driveways, and just places other than where you want it. Rose beds, vegetable gardens, ad infinitum.

Having ONCE made the mistake of planting bamboo by my koi pond (after ensuring it was a clumping variety - and not (supposedly) a running variety) I will never make the same mistake twice. I eventually was able to kill/remove it, but it was an arduous multi-year process, while it threw out runners that (not exaggerating) ran 30' underground.

Now if I would ever use bamboo in a garden again, I would put it in a container, and that container would not be in direct contact with the ground.
I think your bamboo may have been mislabeled. Either that or you were given the wrong information. The Fargesias are very tightly clump forming and grow pretty slowly. The one in the following picture is 30 years old and has never been pruned, fertilized or received any care at all. It is about 5 feet across after 30 years, and about 4 feet tall.
IMG_4250.JPG
This is a common dwarf bamboo in the next picture. It spreads but I can control it. It has also been planted 30 years. I like it very much as it is but I do have to keep after it. It just involves a mowing of the perimeter twice a year.
IMG_4251.JPG
I once got two pots mixed up and planted a pot on the side of my house that was supposed to be a clumping variety but it was black bamboo and it took over. It was beautiful but I killed it off using the clip and spray method that worked very well. Some of the larger bamboos are terribly invasive ... but so very beautiful if you have the space.

I am curious about what is exactly the damage, does it kill the other plants?
There is a line of old bamboos dividing my father's property from the neighbors for more than 20 years, and apart from hosting snakes, up to now the lawn and fruiting trees don't seem to mind the bamboo very much. Yes, he chops the new shoots but nothing more than that.
🤔
It chokes out other plants. I don't think much can compete with bamboo.

Here in Dallas many of the running species are cold hardy and definitely live up to their reputation as thugs. I've tried Fargesia but they can't take the summer heat. The only clumping species that is cold hardy is Bambusa multiplex, but it is badly defoliated in the occasional severe winter.

Really? Chasmanthium latifolium? It is very competitive here if given a little afternoon shade.
Exactly. It is highly competitive. That is why it choked out my knotweed.
I've tried Fargesia but they can't take the summer heat.
Most Fargesias are from the higher mountain elevations.

Exactly. I tried them hoping to get a clumping bamboo that was completely cold hardy only have them killed by our summer temperatures.

Hi BNutters, I started to reply Weds, when this thread was only one or two posts long, got distracted, came back today, and it has expanded to 50 posts. Granted, mostly about knotweed. Hopefully I can help.

There are several styles of "Bamboo Bonsai", using true bamboo species. Bamboo is a group of grasses, with 1bout 1400 different species from at least 115 genera. Majority are tropical or sub-tropical, but some 50 or more can be found in areas cold enough for the ground to freeze in winter. Kudos to @Michael P you found my 2014 thread on Internet Bonsai Club, under my full name, Leo Schordje. Unfortunately "Link Rot" has made the photos unavailable. One of the reasons I no longer post on IBC, is that the site doesn't host photos. As I changed ISP's link rot sets in. Here, because BNut does host photos, an older post has better "shelf life" without as much "Link Rot".

So I will copy and paste parts of that old post, if I can find the photos I used, to revive the post. And I will add newer thoughts. Definition: Culm = "Cane", proper term for a stem in grasses is culm, has to do with the structure. Culms in bamboo are normally hollow, divided into segments, with a partition separating segments.

Several styles of growing bamboo for bonsai. First, and least complicated is "kusamono" style, where you make no effort to change the natural proportions of the bamboo, beyond keeping it in a smaller container. Here the leaves and culm internode traits will be normal size. This is "specimen" growing, where you try for slow, but very healthy growth. Prune away any individual culm that is not attractive. Just as kusamono with flowering herbs and grasses, you are not really doing much active intervention to dwarf the plant. Just well controlled, nicely arranged growth. Favorite bamboos for this type of kusamono are from the genus Pleioblastus, notably P. distichus, fortunei, humilis, pygmaea, and viridistriata, are the naturally dwarf and frequently used for bonsai. Also Sasaella masamuneana albovariegata is a choice dwarf variegated. The Pleioblastus and Sasaella are both "runners", and rely on the container to confine the root system. The underground rhizome might have internodes with culms 6 inches or more apart, but because of winding around in the container, the culms will appear to be very close together. The following examples are all less than 8 inches tall, my photos from August 2014 MBS show at CBG. The first is Pleioblastus distichus by "Mike", I neglected the rest of the name. Second is Pleioblastus fortunei by Steve Jetzer, the third is an example of letting the rhizome reach out beyond the container, Pleioblastus distichus or possibly P. pygmaea, by Mark Fields.
bamboo accent-Mike-MBS2014a-cropped (2019_10_20 19_42_16 UTC).jpg bamboo-SteveJetzer (2019_10_20 19_42_16 UTC).jpg bamboo accent-MarkFieldsMBS2014b (2019_10_20 19_42_16 UTC).jpg

This is the most common style of growing bamboo for bonsai, as smaller kusamono type plantings. There is a subset of kusamono, where the kusamono becomes the focal point of the display. Sanyasou is the name for this style of kusamono. Again, there is no real effort to change the length of the internodes or dwarf leaf size of the bamboo. Next photo is from Michael Hagedorn's blog, followed by a photo of 40 inch tall 'Moso' from the Omiya Bonsai Museum.
kusamono-hagadorn (2019_10_20 19_42_16 UTC).jpg Phyllo-edulis-Moso-40inches (2019_10_20 19_42_16 UTC).jpg

Again in the above examples, this is normal growth for a confined root system. Using roughly the same growing techniques bamboo can be used for Penjin style plantings. The first with the panda ornament is labelled as being Pleioblastus humilis, but the growth habit suggests it might actually be Bambusa multiplex 'Riveriorum' or 'Fernleaf Stripe Stem' congested leaf dwarf forms of Bambusa multiplex. The second is a penjing by Qingquan Zhao, and again is likely a dwarf cultivar of Bambusa multiplex

pleiobl-humilis1 (2019_10_20 19_42_16 UTC).jpg Qingquan Zhao-bamboo28 (2019_10_20 19_42_16 UTC).jpg

I need to take a break, I'll follow up with more comments about the technique outlined by Naka.

I once got two pots mixed up and planted a pot on the side of my house that was supposed to be a clumping variety but it was black bamboo and it took over.
My problem bamboo was also black bamboo. It was beautiful... until it started popping up everywhere. At first I wasn't even exactly sure what it was... until I tried to dig it up and found the runner.

Wonderful enlightening discourse Leo☺️. Is not Moso a timber or larger type bamboo?

I think this may just have been an accidental post overall.

And upon editing the accidental post.. you are not allowed to remove it, NOR simply “leave it blank”

The result... possibly an “oops” post.

🤣🤓

Or he was saying “Oops! I’m an international treasure!” *whilst blushing*

🤣🤣

But I have a post from him that came via email as do all replies to a post I am watching. But it isn't here now. I have all the text but not the diagrams alluded to.
Was it deleted?

Back
Top Bottom