Bonsai is sad after repotting

Aminaislam3791

Seedling
Reaction score
Hey! So i recently repotted my fukien tea out if its nursery pot, and its not looking too happy. The leaves are very droopy and some are yellowing or drying up. I'm worried bc I had to cut more of the root system than I wanted to. Unfortunately it had a lot of surface roots, and then one long, thick root containing all the deeper roots. It was so long that I had to cut a decent amount of it off. I submerged it in water after repotting and let the excess drain. I recently added a ziploc bag over it to see if humidity will help. Also, the nursery soil seemed to be pretty basic potting soil whereas I moved it into bonsai soil that has a lot more rock. Any thoughts or advice?

Attachments

• 20201205_223711.jpg
    20201205_223711.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 81
  • 20201205_223659.jpg
    20201205_223659.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 72

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In my experience these things are pretty finicky. It looks like it is in a garage. Where are you located?

Aminaislam3791

Seedling
Reaction score
Oh it's not a garage lol, those are just my blinds. She's sitting near a window in my room.

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ahh sorry should have enlarged the picture. The reason I asked is because timing matters with repotting. And the timing is based on your climate. Even here in AZ your pushing the envelope for repotting in December.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
are you sure the substrate you used holds any water? looks almost like regular pebbles to me.

Re cutting back more than you wanted.. Normally it means you were too impatient. You cut as much as you think it right. Take actions like tying a wire high up on the root, then plant in a fitting pot. And in a years time you remove more.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
If you click on your Icon in the upper right corner and add your location, people can give advice customized to your climate.

Next time ask about repotting season which varies by species. Tropicals should be repotted in the full grow period. Repot in fall, they go to sleep and never wake up.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Two questions have been asked that you have not answered??? Sometimes questions are as important as answers. What was the nature of the soil you used? How often do you water? where do you live, the climate reagion is important.

Aminaislam3791

Seedling
Reaction score
Ahh sorry should have enlarged the picture. The reason I asked is because timing matters with repotting. And the timing is based on your climate. Even here in AZ your pushing the envelope for repotting in December.
I live in Missouri, so maybe it wasn't the best idea to repot rn 😬 I was hoping it would be okay since its an indoor tree

Aminaislam3791

Seedling
Reaction score
are you sure the substrate you used holds any water? looks almost like regular pebbles to me.

Re cutting back more than you wanted.. Normally it means you were too impatient. You cut as much as you think it right. Take actions like tying a wire high up on the root, then plant in a fitting pot. And in a years time you remove more.
Yeah, the soil is underneath the gravel. I just added a top layer of gravel because I thought it looked nice.

Also, thanks for the advice, I have not heard of doing that before

Aminaislam3791

Seedling
Reaction score
Two questions have been asked that you have not answered??? Sometimes questions are as important as answers. What was the nature of the soil you used? How often do you water? where do you live, the climate reagion is important.
I went to bed and was busy as soon as I woke up, I'm not purposely ignoring questions.

The soil I used was labelled as bonsai soil. It had very fine soil in it mixed in with some dark rock in about a 50/50 mix. I was worried about how fine the soil was so I mixed in a little bit of the original nursery soil as well. I dont think there was a brand name on the package, I just got it from a local nursery. I water based on how dry the top layer of soil feels, although now I'm having trouble doing that after adding the decorative white gravel on top. I live in Missouri.

Aminaislam3791

Seedling
Reaction score
If you click on your Icon in the upper right corner and add your location, people can give advice customized to your climate.

Next time ask about repotting season which varies by species. Tropicals should be repotted in the full grow period. Repot in fall, they go to sleep and never wake up.
I'm not sure if this is helpful, but the tree did seem to be growing. It had new leaves budding and was flowering frequently

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm not sure if this is helpful, but the tree did seem to be growing. It had new leaves budding and was flowering frequently
tropical species are weak in temperate winter. Best to do major jobs during summer, when they can play outside and be in peak health.

Aminaislam3791

Seedling
Reaction score
tropical species are weak in temperate winter. Best to do major jobs during summer, when they can play outside and be in peak health.
Unfortunately I don't have an outdoor space, which is why I avoided more traditional trees like Junipers. I read that this tree can survive indoors. Is there anything I can do now or do I just give it time and see what happens?

Glen Y

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Unfortunately I don't have an outdoor space, which is why I avoided more traditional trees like Junipers. I read that this tree can survive indoors. Is there anything I can do now or do I just give it time and see what happens?
This is just anecdotal experience so please don’t take it as gospel.

my wife (a notorious “black thumb”) has a Fukien Tea for over 4 years. She waters it when she remembers, feeds it when she thinks about it. I sits on a kitchen counter away from any windows. Light is 3 60 watt bulbs hanging over the counter that stay on about 12 hours a day. It will occasionally drop a few leaves (that’s usually her cue to water and fertilize it). As soon as it grows a new shoot, she trims it to the 1st leaf. I call it the “Times” tree.....”takes a likin but keeps on tickin!”

it doesn’t produce a lot of flowers but does produce them often. I have sever seed potted to try to grow.

Attachments

• EEB68C2B-50BF-46E0-8E46-A1BDCB57C83B.jpeg
    EEB68C2B-50BF-46E0-8E46-A1BDCB57C83B.jpeg
    183.4 KB · Views: 25
  • F36F8E76-E350-4FD2-93BD-C5121CE9270C.jpeg
    F36F8E76-E350-4FD2-93BD-C5121CE9270C.jpeg
    196.6 KB · Views: 26
Top Bottom