Looks like S. Cal. coast will be the Gulf Coast

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
With a hurricane making landfall on Baja and moving up the coast, S. California will apparently get its first hurricane in almost 100 years this weekend. If your trees are out on the benches and the wind is blowing 60-70 mph with five inches of rain, might be best to bring them inside the garage or house for the duration of the storm...

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Wow! Heard the news, but didn’t realize the wind was forecasted to remain that strong that far north. Darn, we moved 1 year to soon and could have possibly felt an earthquake and hurricane in the same month! Then 2+ inches of forecasted rain, maybe a mudslide!

With those predicted wind speeds, I wonder if many areas will shut down the power lines to avoid wildfires. It was 2 years in a row that our friends in Thousand Oaks didn’t have power on Thanksgiving due to Santa Ana winds and planned shut downs.

I hope everyone stays safe and doesn’t suffer any damage. 🤞🤞

Esolin

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Moved all my trees off benches into sheltered areas. I'm not terribly worried about the wind or rain doing damage to my house, but I'm scheduled to start a training course in San Diego bright and early Monday morning. Driving down there in a hurricane, now the idea of that really sucks. Hoping it's mostly blown through by 6am on Monday.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This far up the valley we're expecting a couple of days of cooler weather, and maybe half an inch of rain. I'll take it!

SDJake

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I'm in coastal San Diego. They're currently predicting wind gusts of 35 - 40 mph tomorrow afternoon. Anything that could fall, I'll move to the ground. May move some into the garage.

Jake

michaelj

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
It's now forecast to come ashore in Baja and be well inland when it crosses into San Diego (or Imperial) County. Two days ago, the center red line of the cone went right over a house five doors down from me, but now it looks like our winds are going to be only around 20 mph. This is a huge relief for me, because I have 500 trees in pots, and just putting them on the ground would have taken me several hours. Now I have just a handful that I think need to be moved.

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I can't remember the last time it rained here in August. Looking forward to it!

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Got wind and rain already. What a treat for August in the central valley. Biggest concern here is more rain up the Sierra's that lead to flooded rivers.

roberthu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I was in Orlando when Ian hit last year. I had props under my bigger JBP’s and they did fine outside. All the smaller trees were in the screened in porch. Was scary but luckily not much damage

SDJake

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
So far, mostly a rain event where I'm located. But wind gusts are forecast to increase over the next six hours.

Jake

Ruddigger

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Same. Just some rain. I put my bigger trees on the ground just in case though.

Top Bottom