New Bonsai owner needs help saving his trees!

My daughter bought me a "Mini Bonsai Kit" for a Christmas stocking stuffer several years ago. She intended it as a joke, but I decided to try to see if, with all my experience, I could actually grow something. I had decent success until the first winter. 5 seeds in the kit, 4 germinated, and I moved four into a tiny pot I had at which point a critter ate the top off one of the seedlings. I can't recall the species of tree, but it was a cold hardy tree and I was living in SoCal at the time. None of the seedlings made it past the next spring. So a year of fun!

View attachment 499979

View attachment 499980

View attachment 499982

View attachment 499983

View attachment 499986
I got the same kit. You did better than me. I accidentally threw the seeds out with the Christmas wrap. At least I kept the cheesy round ramakin-looking pot that came with it.

Wow, for randomly finding this community this morning and hoping I'd even get 1 reply I'm so grateful for all the feedback!
For an indoor year-round tree that is beginner friendly, I am going to join the chorus for a fig tree aka ficus. There are lots of different types out there, but they are all pretty forgiving.

If you are looking for a decent tropical retailer who ships, you can check out Wigert's Bonsai.

Wigert's Tropical Pre-Bonsai

Back
Top Bottom