New Bonsai Owner seeking help to identify/care for injured plants

Jcspangl

Seed
Reaction score
Hello friends,

I am new to the world of Bonsai ownership, but have a deep love for these little trees! I recently purchased two Bonsai trees, one, a juniper, about a month ago, and the other, not sure what kind, last week. They were just re-potted today, I was awaiting the soil to arrive via Amazon due to the pandemic, but I am concerned over the change in their appearance. My juniper has been turning brown/yellow and the other poor plant is losing leaves fast (they were very droopy when I first got them). I had to leave for two days and when I returned this morning, my new bonsai was very wilted looking (It was kept inside by the window during this time).

I placed them both in Bonsai Jack's soil and added Bonsai fertilizer pellets to their soil. They have been watered, and I try to mist them every day. Attached you will find pictures of when I first got them, versus them today in the new soil.

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated, as I would hate to see them die.

Attachments

• new bonsai upon purchase.jpg
    new bonsai upon purchase.jpg
    268.8 KB · Views: 41
  • New Bonsai post potting.jpg
    New Bonsai post potting.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 42
  • new bonsai post potting air view.jpg
    new bonsai post potting air view.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 40
  • juniper bonsai before repotting.jpg
    juniper bonsai before repotting.jpg
    308.4 KB · Views: 40
  • juniper bonsai post potting.jpg
    juniper bonsai post potting.jpg
    264.5 KB · Views: 39
  • juniper bonsai post potting front view.jpg
    juniper bonsai post potting front view.jpg
    285.2 KB · Views: 37
Welcome!

So the juniper looks dead unfortunately.
The other tree looks like fukien tea.... super tough trees for even the experienced bonsai artist. They are temperamental buggers.

Repotting of healthy trees is done in early spring.

Misting not required outdoors.

Save the soil and try a chinese elm... lots of fun and take abuse.

Don't give up!

Welcome to the site!

As you are finding out, first thing to learn is how to keep a tree alive. It is not as easy as it sounds, particularly if you start with a stressed piece of material that may not have healthy roots. However don't worry. Eventually you will get to a point where you are pruning your junipers and rooting all the cuttings, and ending up with more junipers than you know what to do with!

As far as the Fukien Tea goes, it is a bugger of a plant. True tropical - loves heat and high humidity - and will die back or drop leaves if you look at it funny. In my opinion, though I like the green shiny foliage, they aren't worth the hassle. I tried keeping Fukien Tea in Chicago and it did ok during the summer when I could put it outside in the sun and humidity, but bringing it in during the winter was a trial.

Since you live in Chicago, make sure to check out the Midwest Bonsai Society exhibition in August:

https://www.midwestbonsai.org/august-exhibition

It is held up at the Chicago Botanic Gardens on Lake Cook Rd in Glencoe. They will have vendors there selling tons of trees and supplies, and if you feel like it, they offer beginner workshops. Definitely worth the trip! @Walter Pall is going to be the guest bonsai master for the show - and if you see the trees he posts here on the site, having him at the Chicago show will be a real honor!

Back
Top Bottom