Scratching my head with this Chinese quince

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
@namnhi gave me this Chinese quince clump. It's growing well but the branches are straight sticks. I am now scratching my head trying to figure out what to do with it.

1687206094212.png

@namnhi gave me this Chinese quince clump. It's growing well but the branches are straight sticks. I am now scratching my head trying to figure out what to do with it.

View attachment 494816
Uncle, I think I would leave it alone this year. Next Spring, chop it a little lower to the height you would like the trees to be. It should back bud like crazy... you can choose the one you like and wire to set the primary branches. I will be doing that to the one I still have... also a triple trunk.

Branches that are straight sticks need pruning, same as for almost all other species. Chop long straight shoots right back to just a couple of nodes to encourage more new shoots that will build up ramification.
Pretty sure this one is way taller than it needs to be. Probably allowed to grow free to get trunks to thicken which is fine but now needs a good ol chop to reduce height and add some taper. Look for some branches that can be used as extension to the trunks and prune just above the fork to put more taper and some extra bens in the trunks. New side shoots will become branches. More trimming will give even more shoots that will become ramification.
My Chinese quinces are frustrating. New shoots can grow in all directions. Just as likely to grow straight down or into the centre of the tree so not all new shoots are useful in building structure.

Uncle, I think I would leave it alone this year. Next Spring, chop it a little lower to the height you would like the trees to be. It should back bud like crazy... you can choose the one you like and wire to set the primary branches. I will be doing that to the one I still have... also a triple trunk.
I think I will do the chopping this week! I believe now is the time if I want to see flowers on the newly formed branches next year. Chop now, wire in September on the new shoots for flower next year. I am also moving it from a basket to a terracotta pot to prepare for a bonsai pot in 2024. I know that is a compressed time frame but let's see how quickly we can develop quince. I am too old to wait and see big trunks out of this clump so let's get it to a more pleasing form pronto.

Chinese quince and ume are both members of the rose family and they tend to grow ramrod straight canes. Cutting back to a few nodes, then wiring the new growth before it lignifies (this happens pretty quickly) is what I would suggest. If you wait until the fall, the new growth will likely be too rigid and brittle to create meaningful bends.

Chinese quince and ume are both members of the rose family and they tend to grow ramrod straight canes. Cutting back to a few nodes, then wiring the new growth before it lignifies (this happens pretty quickly) is what I would suggest. If you wait until the fall, the new growth will likely be too rigid and brittle to create meaningful bends.
Thanks Dave. I will watch it carefully and wire earlier.

I think I will do the chopping this week! I believe now is the time if I want to see flowers on the newly formed branches next year. Chop now, wire in September on the new shoots for flower next year. I am also moving it from a basket to a terracotta pot to prepare for a bonsai pot in 2024. I know that is a compressed time frame but let's see how quickly we can develop quince. I am too old to wait and see big trunks out of this clump so let's get it to a more pleasing form pronto.
Uncle, I think it is ok to do the cut back now as mentioned by Shibui to a couple nodes from the trunk then wire the new grow before it lignified as Dav4 suggested. About the flower, am not so sure if it will... seems a bit soon but this tree is at least 7 years old now. I think moving it to a terra cotta is a good idea. I started to not like pond basket anymore.

I recall watching was it Ryan or one of his caliper on pruning these. Look at the new growth when you go to finally set your structure. You will see a single leaf...then beyond it a pair of leaves. Never cut below that pair. Or the branch can dieback.

Uncle, I think it is ok to do the cut back now as mentioned by Shibui to a couple nodes from the trunk then wire the new grow before it lignified as Dav4 suggested. About the flower, am not so sure if it will... seems a bit soon but this tree is at least 7 years old now. I think moving it to a terra cotta is a good idea. I started to not like pond basket anymore.
The pond basket may not be suitable for us. In very hot weather and sunshine, we can't water the trees enough. The trees I have in baskets only thrive in one spot in my yard - under my porch with just morning sun light. Everywhere else I have them, the trees don't thrive. Last year I collected a bunch of Mayhaw and planted quite a few in baskets. They budded but then regressed and died. To save them, I avoided repotting and damaging young roots by burying the basket in my grow bed. I managed to save half the trees in baskets. Some of them still died.

Last edited:
I was having that problem with my luma and my liquidambar... a shallow saucer solved the problem. Both trees would wilt between watering's (9am-3pm). once the saucer was added they started pushing growth like crazy. I still do that with my Root Pouch trees that are not in-ground, except with my JBP, they do good without them. I have since moved away from pond baskets, the pouches maintain moisture way better and offer the same results. I have 10 medium (6") brand new colanders that I bought for the JBP... maybe I will experiment with them again if I can build an ebb and flow bench.

1687355086476.jpeg

1687355654485.png

Does Chinese Quince air layer easily? If yes, then that might be an option to save some of the straight portion.

That's your only choice.

Does Chinese Quince air layer easily? If yes, then that might be an option to save some of the straight portion.
they do but the callus is huge so if the gap is not big enough it will bridge and you have to start over again. I have many air layers that I will most likely cut down next Spring.

Now that you've chopped it should make a much better head scratcher. Though personally, I would probably craft something out of the pruned branches rather than use the tree, but to each their own.

Now that you've chopped it should make a much better head scratcher. Though personally, I would probably craft something out of the pruned branches rather than use the tree, but to each their own.
I did. The branches were taken as cuttings although they are suffering a bit under the heat.

Back
Top Bottom