“Japanese Bonsai”

Iconoclast

Seedling
Reaction score
There is no definitive “Japanese style.” Forget the basic “rules” you’ve heard.

Attachments

• E9CD7F1D-C189-4599-B77E-F3415BED3203.jpeg
    E9CD7F1D-C189-4599-B77E-F3415BED3203.jpeg
    152.3 KB · Views: 164

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I'm gonna pop some popcorn, pour a drink and watch the thread explode.

Of course there is a Japanese aesthetic, and trees styled to this aesthetic, especially when styled by native Japanese artists, are truly "Japanese". Stating otherwise ignores the existence of Japan.

There is also no debate, the rules are entirely optional, which means they are not rules really, they are mere guidelines to be used judiciously when your own personal aesthetic fails you.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I'm gonna pop some popcorn, pour a drink and watch the thread explode.

Of course there is a Japanese aesthetic, and trees styled to this aesthetic, especially when styled by native Japanese artists, are truly "Japanese". Stating otherwise ignores the existence of Japan.

There is also no debate, the rules are entirely optional, which means they are not rules really, they are mere guidelines to be used judiciously when your own personal aesthetic fails you.
*comes shuffling up, dragging a lawnchair, arms FULL of Mike and Ikes, plops down next to “OL”*

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
When someone completely new to the forum tries to open up shop and school everyone 😂😂😂
Judging by the conviction with which he speaks, I have a feeling that this “new guy” isn’t really all that new.. and in fact, is quite knowledgeable and versed in this world,..

He IS feisty, though!

🤓

BonsaiNaga13

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Judging by the conviction with which he speaks, I have a feeling that this “new guy” isn’t really all that new.. and in fact, is quite knowledgeable and versed in this world,..

He IS feisty, though!

🤓
He's new enough to not have yet encountered the PLENTY other posts with the same context. Coming with such enthusiasm as if he reinvented the wheel. Even beginner bonsai books cover these things. I got a chuckle out of it is all 😂

BonsaiNaga13

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b

He IS feisty, though!

🤓
Like literally it sounds like the beginning of a bonsai demo vid 😂😂😂 okay I'm done thanks for the laughs

BonsaiNaga13

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Bonsai has been adopted as the universal name of trees artistically cultivated in pots even though the art originated in china. Idk who these people trying to immitae japanese bonsai are that u speak of. I think most of us are just trying to create beautiful esthetically pleasing trees and often immitae natural trees in our area to an extent. The number of native japanese who still practice bonsai has been decreasing. Just like japanese bonsai became more prominent than penjing in a few decades American and European bonsai may potentially be at the forefront.

Top Bottom