13 Sure Fire Ways to Piss Off a Bonsai Nut

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
As an attempt at humor, it didn't really work for me. One way to piss off a bonsai nut is to steal their trees? And that is supposed to be funny... how? Some of the other points sound more like someone with an axe to grind than someone just poking fun at the art form. But whatever... bloggers just gotta blog :)

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
But whatever... bloggers just gotta blog :)
I think that's exactly the reason behind the exercise. If you want to draw an audience to your Blog, you have to produce content that will keep them coming back. As they say in the Lowe's commercial, "spend more time doing".

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
One of the head guys down here charged $50.00 a month for
a tree, he was growing. So for 10 years .................

Recently K was asked to sell a small tree, so the design could
be studied.
More sensibly, come and study, chat.......................
Good Day
Anthony

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Its a fun read.
Made me giggle a few times.
In the first paragraph the word "snottiness" is used......
I get it......but I would apply that same idea to damn near any art form or hobby.

I didn't take the stolen trees part as an attempt at humor.
I think overall its pretty spot on.....and I also think that if my wife or sister-in-laws read this they would say, "yep, that's you alright."

Mike Hennigan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Whose blog is it anyways? I couldn’t find a name on the site. Weird.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It's @Adair M 's... he is just getting us to click on the link :)
Hardly!

The dude is a beginner. He’s in Florida, and been doing bonsai for two years. So, beware!

I clicked his link on “How to wire”. Much of it is wrong. He advocates wiring at a 45 degree angle. The correct angle should be at about 60 degrees. He even includes drawings. The one he says is too loose, is the correct way to do it!

He also promotes products with links to Amazon. He gets a commission. The thing is, those products may be crap! One link to “copper bonsai wire” led to “copper colored wire”, and was measured in mm not gauges. Uh, that’s NOT copper wire!

So, I put the link here because of the “Bonsai Nut” reference, for a bit of humor.

I’m not promoting his blog. He’s a beginner. He may be well intended, but he’s inexperienced.

Compare what he writes to www.bonsaitonight.com. There’s a world of difference. I do recommend bonsaitonight!

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Its a fun read.
Made me giggle a few times.
In the first paragraph the word "snottiness" is used......
I get it......but I would apply that same idea to damn near any art form or hobby.
You're absolutely right. I've spent way more years in the Hot Rod car culture than in bonsai. Gear Heads will correct you left and right if you don't get the terms right or act like you know what you're talking about but obviously don't. By the way, there's no "giggling" in bonsai. ;)

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
One link to “copper bonsai wire” led to “copper colored wire”, and was measured in mm not gauges. Uh, that’s NOT copper wire!
In his defense, outside of the US, things are measured in mm and not gauges. I've always wanted a reason to look up https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_wire_gauge and see what the fuss is all about.
My wire is exactly 3.00mm in diameter, not 2.90mm like gauge 9 would be. It makes quite the difference when you pay 'per weight' like I do in used material stores.

1 meter of 3mm wire weighs 8.9*7068.58=6291.03 grams. 6.3 kg. @ 1 euro/kg
1 meter of 9 gauge wire weighs 8.9*6605.20=5878.62 grams. 5.9 kg @ 1 euro/kg

It makes quite the difference when buying some thirty meters of wire. American wire standards, if applied here, would save me 12 bucks!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
In his defense, outside of the US, things are measured in mm and not gauges. I've always wanted a reason to look up https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_wire_gauge and see what the fuss is all about.
My wire is exactly 3.00mm in diameter, not 2.90mm like gauge 9 would be. It makes quite the difference when you pay 'per weight' like I do in used material stores.

1 meter of 3mm wire weighs 8.9*7068.58=6291.03 grams. 6.3 kg. @ 1 euro/kg
1 meter of 9 gauge wire weighs 8.9*6605.20=5878.62 grams. 5.9 kg @ 1 euro/kg

It makes quite the difference when buying some thirty meters of wire. American wire standards, if applied here, would save me 12 bucks!
Then the 9 gauge wire would be thinner than the 3mm wire, and not have the same holding strength.

Generally speaking, we use thevegen numbered gauges here, not the odds. I don’t know why.

In Japan, their gauges are different than American gauges. Our 16 gauge is equivalent to their 18 gauge. (Or vice versa. I don’t know which). Go figure!

Top Bottom