2010 Bonsainut Maple Project

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
What the heck. I have a small trident that has been field grown for the last 5 years.Last year it was cut back and put in to a growing box.This spring I will take it back further and let it develop in to a shohin size tree.

Attachments

• DSC02223.JPG
    DSC02223.JPG
    70.1 KB · Views: 182
  • DSC02224.JPG
    DSC02224.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 149
  • DSC02225.JPG
    DSC02225.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 133
  • DSC02226.JPG
    DSC02226.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Well I thought is is far time to update this thread so the tree is doing extreamly well and I now have a video progression on it enjoy..Comments welcome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-H1iBVCa0k pt 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGZbBj4N1Z0 pt 2 a year later

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9LsAbCYb9c pt 3 is continuation of pt 2 and how it looks today.

the 2 lower branches you can see in the photos of the origional post and see how much larger yhe tree has gotten by repotting and letting the apex take off..

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Holy necro post Batman!

Glad you're with us Seth. I've been watching your videos for over a year; every one.

While working on coniferous trees is more of an exciting transformation, few youtube channels have the slow careful work required to develop deciduous trees documented in video format. I'm glad you took the time to do so.

So what's your story anyways?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Been fooling around with bonsai since 1995 decided to get serious in 2005 in that 10 years time I am guilty of a least 1,000 + tree murders. Read all I could from John Naka, Colin Lewis, and Amy Liang ect learned more from trial and error than anything. Developed techniques that worked for me and decided to share the information with anyone interested to help promote this awesome hobby and be able to show the results of these techniques. I think you can only grasp so much with reading something but if you see it happening real time you can fully understand that is going on ( I am a visual hands on learner better than a book learner with bonsai) .I was fortunate enough to befriend a local bonsai nursery owner John Green of green thumbbonsai. Helped him style and repot around 1,000 trees that really helped me hone my skills. After losing my job in 08 and having to sell my meager at best collection and getting back on my feet to start the collection I always wanted but never had the money to afford. So I started working with nursery material and some urban yamadori vs. using the more expensive "pre Bonsai material". I wanted to have a progression of my current trees for myself more than anything and decided why not make some videos .Then decided to post them on YouTube and explain the processes I was going to do to the trees to make them the best they and I could be and hopefully help some folks along the way .So far I am happy with the outcome and the positive feedback. Plus my channel is acting like a video library of my trees from when they first began to current day and what it took to get them to that state. I am constantly learning along the way some positive some not so positive. For instance the cement mixing tubs all of my trees grow in I never imagined getting the growth rate I have in something like this and it makes the trunks thicken up as good as being in the ground (reference my Japanese pine tree. Put it in to a pot the size of a pencil and now the nebari is approx 4 inches in diameter in 4 growing seasons!! not really a member of any clubs do not have the time with 2 small children so this is my way of contributing to my passion.

Top Bottom