2021 Collected Utahs

Colorado Josh

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
What kind of soil are you collecting them from? I live in western Colorado and have yet to successfully collect a Utah. We have absolute shit dirt out here.

Housguy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
What kind of soil are you collecting them from? I live in western Colorado and have yet to successfully collect a Utah. We have absolute shit dirt out here.
There natural soil in where we collect them from is a combination of fine dirt and rocks of all different sizes. And each dig varies from a little bit of rocks to a whole bunch of rocks that you will encounter for each tree, but what I have found, is the trees on hilly slopes seem to have more rocks than trees collected from a flatter area on the mountain. Overall, the soil is not that great that they naturally grow in, so we like to get rid of as much of the natural soil as we can, and replace it with a lava rock pumice mix and the trees seem to really like it.

Colorado Josh

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
There natural soil in where we collect them from is a combination of fine dirt and rocks of all different sizes. And each dig varies from a little bit of rocks to a whole bunch of rocks that you will encounter for each tree, but what I have found, is the trees on hilly slopes seem to have more rocks than trees collected from a flatter area on the mountain. Overall, the soil is not that great that they naturally grow in, so we like to get rid of as much of the natural soil as we can, and replace it with a lava rock pumice mix and the trees seem to really like it.
That's good info. From my experience, Utah's growing in dirt have very long roots that allow them to adapt to the arid environment. I have seen roots reach over 30ft. How do you manage to get enough roots for collection?

Sorry about all the questions. I think they're amazing trees! But I have always seen them as uncollectable. I have had success with RMJ, but never Utah.

Housguy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
How do you manage to get enough roots for collection?
A couple of things help us get good roots, the trees we collect are either smaller trees or larger trees that have a lot of lower growth, both situations have lots of roots. What you are describing, are older bigger trees that don't have a lot of shallow roots if any at all, those are much tougher to get through the collection process than the ones we get, every tree we get has roots.

Housguy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
If you don't put them under misters does it greatly affect the chances of survival? Also, how long does it take until you know whether or not they'll survive?
So far, I have done misters and misted them by hand and having misters on a timer is much better, with a better success rate as well with each collection. Anywhere between 3 months and on, if you can start to see new growth on a tree, your odds of that tree surviving are really high.

Top Bottom