2021 from seeds !

BonsaiNaga13

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
How do Japanese Maple and Trident seed sprouts do in full sun........I have a hunch that above 80 F I should give some screening?
They are just sprouting....green japanese maple and trident.
Will get to 90f today. 32.2C
View attachment 376484View attachment 376485View attachment 376486View attachment 376487View attachment 376488
Trident need partial shade or they'll get crispy and die real fast. I usually start my a palmatum outside over winter but the ones I've started later I leave in partial shade until they have a set or two of leaves.

papkey5

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
This fall I have been doing a lot of seed collecting of:
English Yew
English Oak
Hedge Maple
A red leafed jm cultivar( not sure if its an Atropurpureum or bloodgood.)
Another Jm (aka Shigitatsusawa)
European Beech
Update: no progress with the Yews. Don’t expect any so I found some shrubs to buy.
11 Oaks have germinated.
5 Japanese Larch

Hedge, JMs and Beech have all failed. So I am going to get cuttings of hedge maples and JM.

I will buy another batch of Shigitatsu sawa and put them in an aluminum tray in August and leave them out this winter.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I will buy another batch of Shigitatsu sawa

Don't take it bad, but I think that's wasting money : it's very (very, very) unlikely that you'll get a seedling that looks at least close to a real 'Shigitasu sawa'.

I believe that people who sell seeds from maple cultivars without mentioning what I've written above are not very honest...

The only maple cultivars that are really true to the type are either reproduced by grafting, or for some of them air-layering or cutting.

Some cultivars can retain some of the characteristics of the mother plant though, but don't expect to have the same. As an example, some of 'red dissectum' in their second year :

Semis20-disatro_210514a.jpg

The mother-plant :

acerp_atro-dis02_sam_190722b.jpg

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have been curious about how the different Japanese cultivars came to be. Basically in a sense they are just mutant seeds that germinated. Grown and then grafted to acquire the cultivar?

my friend had about 30 mature Japanese maple in his property all different cultivars but a lot of the green. The owners let us pick the seedlings under one tree and I discovered like 5 different looking seedlings. So are the odds of finding a new cultivar depend on the diversity of Japanese maples within close proximity?

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I have been curious about how the different Japanese cultivars came to be. Basically in a sense they are just mutant seeds that germinated. Grown and then grafted to acquire the cultivar?

Exactly, you're right. Acer palmatum, amoenum, and a few others are among the most mutagenic species. What's more, some can interbreed, so there can be hybrids between some species of maples, and even between cultivars.

Sometimes, they are from "witches brooms", in which case they are propagated by grafting.

my friend had about 30 mature Japanese maple in his property all different cultivars but a lot of the green. The owners let us pick the seedlings under one tree and I discovered like 5 different looking seedlings. So are the odds of finding a new cultivar depend on the diversity of Japanese maples within close proximity?

It's possible, and even somewhat likely, but young seedlings need to develop for a few years before really showing their characteristics, and then one has to find one that is really original - there are alreday about 1,000 of Japanese maples registered, maybe theree times that number if you take all the synonyms or the "like".
After that, it needs to be propagated (grafting) to make sure it can keep its characteristics, and live more than a couple of years.
Then, it has to be registered.

And yes, you can always find a specimen that looks different, interesting, that you like. I have a couple that I will never "register", some would perhaps discard them, but I like them. Here are a few that make me wonder, and I think they'll disappear when I'm gone. Just like the people I met, I liked being with them, now...

acerp-div-001_210413b.jpg acerp-div-002_210413b.jpg acerp-div-003_210413a.jpg acerp-div-004_210413a.jpg acerp-div-005_210415a.jpg acerp-div-006_210502b.jpg

100% from seed guaranted !
BUY NOW
Cures asthma too...

Huh huh, no, I'm not in that kind of business :cool:

SeanS

Omono
Reaction score
Johannesburg, South Africa (SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE)
USDA Zone
9b
Exactly why I took so many from the 4 trees I found seeds on today, and why I just marked them as “red”, “yellow” etc. I’ll sow all of them and hope some interesting babies, with some of them exhibiting the traits of the parent trees. That’s half the fun of growing from seed!

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Exactly, you're right. Acer palmatum, amoenum, and a few others are among the most mutagenic species. What's more, some can interbreed, so there can be hybrids between some species of maples, and even between cultivars.

Sometimes, they are from "witches brooms", in which case they are propagated by grafting.

It's possible, and even somewhat likely, but young seedlings need to develop for a few years before really showing their characteristics, and then one has to find one that is really original - there are alreday about 1,000 of Japanese maples registered, maybe theree times that number if you take all the synonyms or the "like".
After that, it needs to be propagated (grafting) to make sure it can keep its characteristics, and live more than a couple of years.

And yes, you can always find a specimen that looks different, interesting, that you like. I have a couple that I will never "register", some would perhaps discard them, but I like them. Here are a few that make me wonder, and I think they'll disappear when I'm gone. Just like the people I met, I liked being with them, now...

View attachment 377956 View attachment 377950 View attachment 377951 View attachment 377952 View attachment 377953 View attachment 377954

BUY NOW
Cures asthma too...

Thanks for the clarification. So those in your picture you grew from seed and selected? I really like the one in the 4th picture. But they are all cool! I have this one called an Omato. Grown in full sun they seem to be pinkish red and in part sun they look like they are suspended in an early fall color. Can’t wait to plant it in the ground when I get my own home!

Attachments

• 8B5F6313-3848-4DBB-9D07-33663E0D24D2.jpeg
    8B5F6313-3848-4DBB-9D07-33663E0D24D2.jpeg
    279.9 KB · Views: 29

Arlithrien

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b

View attachment 377956 View attachment 377950 View attachment 377951 View attachment 377952 View attachment 377953 View attachment 377954

BUY NOW
Cures asthma too...

Its a tragedy to not share such beautiful maples with the world. At least plant them in an undisclosed location so that someone may appreciate them one day.

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If I remember rightly @AlainK also had some beautifully small leaved Acer shirasawanum too

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have zelkova, japanese maple, ezo spruce, and Japanese larch in trays from the fall that are just starting to get sprouts. And I'll be stratifying japanese maple and hornbeam this year.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
These japanese maples and tridents seem to be doing fine in the full sun......about 8 hrs a day and 90f.
Perhaps the mesh gives about 10% screening.
Extremely hydrated in the stonewool too.

Makes me happy as I know it can be beneficial.

Just sewn some Hedge Maple....awesome.They are sprouting as I planted them this morning.
Also loads of Coreana Hornbeam and more Trident maple too!!!

loads of zelkova and elms are thriving.......of course.
B5AAB4D9-7B9D-48AB-A2BE-2006510D79AA.jpegB1F6DE17-C726-46EF-B5A2-EABDB0F631BB.jpeg1608D676-067D-471D-91EF-DB60CDC6CF4E.jpegA969DA7D-E8FD-4FA0-AC66-C74E0F4B03B2.jpeg4630E324-249F-4CFC-AF50-A71A92998EFE.jpeg0F6BC31B-0B08-4D1E-A176-5FA01B885CFA.jpeg9F915E09-502F-479C-BA40-CB11CA2B24E7.jpegAAFECEAB-FDEF-45B1-B06F-2A95E8105798.jpeg133BCFC3-5E0A-4907-8CB2-D33F2C54FAB2.jpeg

SeanS

Omono
Reaction score
Johannesburg, South Africa (SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE)
USDA Zone
9b
Went to an outdoor market at a local botanical garden today with my gf, nearly peed myself when we walked through the entrance and saw these...

These were some of the smaller JMs in the garden)
View attachment 377918
View attachment 377927
View attachment 377919
Did my weekly seed check this evening and loads are germinating in the fridge. Sowed 36 from the one bag, tomorrow I’ll sown the rest. We’ve got 2 more nights of below freezing temps forecast so I’ll be watching them carefully this week 😐

740122AC-E192-4D10-A53F-F084168FE722.jpeg
0EA1AB9B-BAC9-44D8-B0F8-E7FFAAD23357.png

Arlithrien

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Late summer seedling update, before the fall colors start to kick in and the seed collection for next year begins.

I've categorized this year's JM lottery into three main groups. First, we have your standard green plamatums, second includes ones which leaf out red but turn green by summer, and third a few dissectums.

20210906_150034.jpg
20210906_150113.jpg
20210906_150326.jpg

And last, a special mention for this one with an elegant leaf-shape

20210906_150510.jpg

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
a special mention for this one with an elegant leaf-shape

Yes, that's the kind we're looking for. 👍

Some cross-pollinated, hybrids or genetically reverted specimens can be very special. :cool:

We're all looking for the very special one, aren't we ?

😄 😄 😄

Arlithrien

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Yes, that's the kind we're looking for. 👍

Some cross-pollinated, hybrids or genetically reverted specimens can be very special. :cool:

We're all looking for the very special one, aren't we ?

😄 😄 😄
Honestly it's the worst time of year to be showing off seedlings but I wanted to get them posted before fall interest and then the following spring for comparisons sake. if you can't handle them at their worst, you don't deserve them at their best right?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well.. End of summer. My AP 'arakawa' seeds gave a pretty good crop. Lets see how many develop a rough bark.

I grew these with a mesh on top of them for the first months. About 6 weeks ago I removed the mesh. Yesterday I thinned the leaves, to also give the weaker individuals a bit of late summer sun. I think I need help. I have too many plants.

1630961895857.png

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I'll have a few samaras to collect soon. Hundreds from plain A. palm., but I already have so many seedlings that I will give them away. I won't bother to collect from the few cultivars that have some either, they're usually rather disappointing and since I hate to throw young trees away I'll just let mother nature follow its course.
There are two though that I will try to germinate. From Acer palm. 'Atropurpureum' because many are fairly true to the type (red leaves in the spring until the middle of summer at least), and about two dozens from 'Hana matoi' because seeds from dissectums can be interesting as I think I said before.

acerp-hanamatoi_210922c.jpg acerp-hanamatoi_210922b.jpg acerp-hanamatoi_210922a.jpg

Top Bottom