2021 Shohin Contest from Starter Material

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
I'm in. will do some maple cuttings in the next week or 2. also got 2 pine seedling I received 2 weeks ago that can be entered
Maybe perhaps restate in contest rules no air-layers thicker then pencil size?
Honestly is just like a cutting at this level.
Yes rules have changed but however air layers will have to still follow the rules

SeanS

Omono
Reaction score
Johannesburg, South Africa (SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE)
USDA Zone
9b
So to be clear, we can use air layers as long as they are less than 3cm thick and less than 2ft in height at the start?
Is any style allowed? Can we enter root over rock projects?

for those is us in the Southern Hemisphere (where spring has just started) can we enter tres that we have already started in the last month? All of my projects have already been repotted and had the initial cuts/chops done in the last few weeks.

ShimpakuBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I don't think you can call something with a max length of 2 feet and a max thickness of 3cm a seedling and/or cutting. ❓

I would be very happy to have a trunk of 3cm after 6 years growing a shimpaku cutting.

Those are dimensions which are only possible with an airlayering in my opinion.

So I think the rules about the max sizes of the start material are not completely clear.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I'm a conifer guy and I haven't grown much deciduous trees so I was not familiar with that (sorry).
No problem, friend!

I was confused, at first. 🤣

Was gonna say: “I rooted This ulmus cutting in the spring.
FCA73A33-D0BA-41E9-B097-37A48BC8CDE2.jpeg
I can imagine conifers, especially dwarfs to be prone to a different set of rules.. due to HOW and what kind of cells they distribute as they age.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
3cm = 1 3/16" that's definitely on the fat side for a one year old. Query: is it easier to achieve a degree of taper after starting with a fat base, or harder? The trees are going to be nude at the December finish, so hiding a beer can bottom is going to problematic.

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
So to be clear, we can use air layers as long as they are less than 3cm thick and less than 2ft in height at the start?
Is any style allowed? Can we enter root over rock projects?

for those is us in the Southern Hemisphere (where spring has just started) can we enter tres that we have already started in the last month? All of my projects have already been repotted and had the initial cuts/chops done in the last few weeks.
Yeah so you can air layer but the 3cm thick and under 2ft rule still applys to the material. Root over rock/slabs are allowed . I wasn’t even thinking about other countries for some reason but they can already be repotted no matter what but the cuts/chops wasn’t very clear in my rules so I’m guessing what you have isn’t already far into the game so that will be allowed . If you have any pictures of that process please add that to your forums

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
I don't think you can call something with a max length of 2 feet and a max thickness of 3cm a seedling and/or cutting. ❓

I would be very happy to have a trunk of 3cm after 6 years growing a shimpaku cutting.

Those are dimensions which are only possible with an airlayering in my opinion.

So I think the rules about the max sizes of the start material are not completely clear.
Lol you are right on that but I was just trying to set a basic estimate. I’m new for growing plants from little seedlings so I don’t know . Can’t wait to see if your gonna do any shinpaku if your gonna join the contest . Bjorn gifted me these iotgawa shinpaku so I’m gonna use these for my connifers.

Attachments

• 35B6F50E-2EC2-4B21-A141-D191B14AA449.jpeg
    35B6F50E-2EC2-4B21-A141-D191B14AA449.jpeg
    272.7 KB · Views: 50

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
One thing to note is that 10 inches is well into the chuuhin bonsai category. Shohin are between 10 and 20 cm. Roughly 3.9 - 7.9 inches
Yeah your totally right by my knowledge . The rules will let trees be under 10 inches . That’s not a true shohin sized but I don’t want people being mad that their tree accidentally grew a little bigger and it wouldn’t be exact . So the 10cm - 20cm size is what is expected but it can be a little bigger

Top Bottom