3 Leaf Sumac - Rhus Trilobata

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@Hartinez the tree looks really good! I have one I bought in terrible health so I put it in the ground without much root work. It is doing much better. I hear they can take aggressive root work.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Hartinez the tree looks really good! I have one I bought in terrible health so I put it in the ground without much root work. It is doing much better. I hear they can take aggressive root work.
Initially they seem to handle root work no problem, but I’ve also lost several after months of great recovery. This is the last of the bunch and seems to be in great health at this point.

Asymetrix

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Those are really cool. I'm glad to know they can possibly be developed into bonsai.

Unique leaf shape, great fall color, interesting differences in the sexes. Fragrant, with a milky white sap. Seemingly hardy besides the one I killed. I was very severe on first root pruning and while it pushed and grew a bit it didn't make it through season.

Inspired to try another. Could be very nice as a wild growing accent or kusamono.

I was just recently in the spice section at the market and saw sumac for sale. I bought a small bottle to play with.

I had seen it before in my years as a chef but not much experience using it outside of some middle eastern and north African spice blends.

It's tart and versatile. Apparently made into a lemonade like beverage.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The cutest little flowers. The clumps almost look like grapes. Hoping I’ll get berries this year. I’ve also got a cool plan in place for a natural rock pot. Once flowering is done and buds start to push I’ll repot. I feel like I slowed growth last year by repotting before flowering.
6124F1F7-6E78-47F6-B528-30137A7E691F.jpeg1238B7A7-D095-4FCA-B2C0-6857E1CA3327.jpeg

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Have you ever tried stem cuttings? I know as a rule one propagates Rhus from root cutting. Just curious.
Hey Penumbra. Sorry I never responded to this message . I haven’t tried cuttings on these. I never saw the need to do so.

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Awesome. I’ve yet to collect one with substantial size like that one. I’ll be curious to see your results.
Andrew said he collected it in 2017. Hopefully it likes our weather in the NorthEast.

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Very cool, Danny! I first encountered this species while doing plant surveys for the USFS in my twenties. We originally thought it was Poison Oak, Toxicodendron diversiloba (which apparently people have bonsai-ed 😬) because it looks so similar. Apparently PO was classified as the genus, Rhus, at one point.

I always thought it would be cool to bonsai this plant. The Oak-like leaves are so cool. I didn't realize it was a thing. How does it respond to bonsai techniques (pruning, root pruning, ramification, leaf size reduction, etc)?

Cory

Last edited:

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very cool, Danny! I first encountered this species while doing plant surveys for the USFS in my twenties. We originally thought it was Poison Oak, Toxicodendron diversiloba (which apparently people have bonsai-ed 😬) because it looks so similar. Apparently PO was classified as the genus, Rhus, at one point.

I always thought it would be cool to bonsai this plant. The Oak-like leaves are so cool. I didn't realize it was a thing. How does it respond to bonsai techniques (pruning, root pruning, ramification, leaf size reduction, etc)?

Cory
Thanks Cory! Root pruning doesn’t seem to be a huge problem. Though I have lost a few over a growing season. Both collected. I don’t have a ton of feedback on pruning though. Just trying to keep it happy through out the year. I think this year will be big in terms of evaluation.

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Mine just arrived today. The soil wasn't draining great so I removed it from the pot. In the end the soil seemed OK but there was some field soil still in the center. I removed this. I went light on the root pruning since it was not quite pushing buds.

20230324_155507.jpg

Reaction score
Mine just arrived today. The soil wasn't draining great so I removed it from the pot. In the end the soil seemed OK but there was some field soil still in the center. I removed this. I went light on the root pruning since it was not quite pushing buds.

View attachment 478305
Beautiful !!!

Am sure you are well aware but they thrive in being extremely dry . Personally I have never known a plant that can take so much dryness as a Rhus trilobata …

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b

View attachment 478305
Did it arrive with wire on it?

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Beautiful !!!

Am sure you are well aware but they thrive in being extremely dry . Personally I have never known a plant that can take so much dryness as a Rhus trilobata …
So actually I did not and went with my deciduous mix of 1-1 akadama and pumice. I will see how it goes. It if struggles over the next year or two I can switch to my conifer mix (1-1-1 akadama pumice lava)

Did it arrive with wire on it?
Yes

Top Bottom